Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thumbs up Convict.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

You did the right thing. Mostly due to the public health concern. Weather they disposed of them correctly and something else strew them around, or just poor practice on their part doesn't matter. I'm sure someone mentioned to them about the odor, or an employee noticed it. The fact it wasn't cleaned up is the problem. So once again, ou did the right thing, and the fact you slept good last night proves it.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #23
come get me tang police!

I don't think it's a matter of right or wrong thing, it's good to act, either way. My only gripe is that you went in and called the cavalry before even attempting to anyone about the situation. Seems like our country is getting more and more disconnected on a personal level and people can be quick to pull the trigger on notifying authorities. And if you mentioned your own connection in fire and rescue that may have even exasperated things even more, I know it does here when someone on the council or a LEO files a report about anything.

Health hazard? Maybe, in the same way it's a health hazard if a trash bag by a dumpster behind a fish market or restaurant gets ripped open and spread around. I know that us fishkeepers are especially sensitive to what happens to fish, but as far as the laws are concerned they are not on the same level as warm blooded pets like dogs and cats, and don't have all of the same disposal requirements.

I just personally know if this happened at my business I'd be upset that the people didn't come to me first if something like this happened in my parking lot. But I do understand that they have every right to, and don't blame them for it, it's just not how I was taught to handle things growing up.

Then again the owner/workers could've looked at you and shrugged, and at that point I think it would've been fair game. But this is just my opinion and the way I handle things. This is also armchair quarterbacking so being in the situation and analyzing it are two totally different things.

I do wonder what eventually happened to them, you should call and get an update from someone at the store just to see.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
I don't think it's a matter of right or wrong thing, it's good to act, either way. My only gripe is that you went in and called the cavalry before even attempting to anyone about the situation. Seems like our country is getting more and more disconnected on a personal level and people can be quick to pull the trigger on notifying authorities. And if you mentioned your own connection in fire and rescue that may have even exasperated things even more, I know it does here when someone on the council or a LEO files a report about anything.

Health hazard? Maybe, in the same way it's a health hazard if a trash bag by a dumpster behind a fish market or restaurant gets ripped open and spread around. I know that us fishkeepers are especially sensitive to what happens to fish, but as far as the laws are concerned they are not on the same level as warm blooded pets like dogs and cats, and don't have all of the same disposal requirements.

I just personally know if this happened at my business I'd be upset that the people didn't come to me first if something like this happened in my parking lot. But I do understand that they have every right to, and don't blame them for it, it's just not how I was taught to handle things growing up.

Then again the owner/workers could've looked at you and shrugged, and at that point I think it would've been fair game. But this is just my opinion and the way I handle things. This is also armchair quarterbacking so being in the situation and analyzing it are two totally different things.

I do wonder what eventually happened to them, you should call and get an update from someone at the store just to see.
I understand what your saying and like I said before I did feel like whoa!! When all these agencies started showing up. Some were taking pictures etc.

I'm gonna go there this week and see what the deal is. Maybe even let them know it was me and explain the issues and see if that helps. I really didn't mean for it blow up but like I also said. It is what it is now... Can't change it. Maybe lesson for both sides

Either way, I feel good about what I did. Just didn't expect all those different agencies to show up.

But I stood tall and expressed my concerns. Didn't help that I'm with the county hazardous materials and special ops team among other things. I kinda feel because of that they went above and beyond.

Well... I'll post back when I find out what happened.

BTW Jeta.... I also respect your opinions and its always nice to read your posts and see things from a different perspective. But you said it yourself. It might have been different if you were there, or maybe not

Either way your very well respected on my end.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 03-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Update.

Went there today and spoke with the manager, well tried to anyway.He was arrogant, uneducated, disrespectful and couldn't have been older then 28-30(not that it matters) just giving you the whole story.

I went in and tried to explain to him. I told him that my wife was concerned and others outside as well as myself and I made the call. He really didn't want to talk, more like I was bothering him. Understandable to a degree, you can be mad that's fine. Anyway....

Didn't get far and really didn't get any answers as to what happened after I left.

Only thing I did see was yellow marker writing on all the tanks, it said "fish not for sale, system under observation"

Well... That's it. Store is open, people are shopping.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 03-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thumbs up . 1 ok 2,3 but not dozens , simple neglect
Old 03-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well if that's his attitude...karma.....You did good Convict...
Old 03-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwiz123 View Post
Thumbs up . 1 ok 2,3 but not dozens , simple neglect
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98kshooter View Post
Well if that's his attitude...karma.....You did good Convict...
Thank you both!

Old 03-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would've done the same thing you did convict. Things play out the way they do for a reason.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by apet66 View Post
I would've done the same thing you did convict. Things play out the way they do for a reason.
Thank you!

Closed Thread

Tags
pic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com