Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Activist
Heh.. I always wondered who to call when it comes to fish being uncared for or mistreated.. Lol I work in nyc and I see cops arrest people with dogs and they would call animal control. I always wondered what would happen if it was a fish... Lol

Old 03-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak
I know how the LFS guy I know would have reacted, he would have explained what happened to EVERY customer that asked, and took time with them to assure them. Maybe he did have a bum shipment and he did dispose of them in the trash and animals DID scatter them. But, if you want your customers to be assured and returning...it is wise to at least give your side of the tale. I mean most good Shop owners would have shown a level of concern in the matter, Our local guy may have even thanked you, especially if he had previous animal/trash problem. May have evn worked to his good in some way....I am sorry that fellow seems to have got what he deserved.....just my .02

I sit up at night and worry about this: what if bettas get big as sharks???
Old 03-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
I too would have called. Having all those beautiful fish die was unnecessary. The LFS employees have everything they would ever need to treat fish at the disposal. I understand that you can loose some fish from a shipment due to unhealthy stock, stress, etc. But instead they lost all the fish and disposed of them. What a shame.

Convict, I completely agree with what you did. I do also agree that all those other agencies showing up was not needed. But I know that is was not your fault, not at all.
I think you did the right thing, but I think the manager handled things very poorly also.
Starting over...... Kinda.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Old 03-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion
If a customer caused such a fiasco at my store I probably wouldn't want to give him the time of day either. Karma works both ways
Old 03-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict
Nice thing about capitalism is, we get to choose where we spend our money. Good business = success.
Bad business = failure. Simple!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #36
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
I could see this going down
CSI the whole nine yards lol
this crazy world sure can put things way out of proportion sometimes
I'm sure the store disposed of the fish in a dumpster properly birds or cats got in and caused the crime scene spew them all over
but yes I'm sure it was a horrible sight especially for the little ones
Fish are like lifesavers
They come in different colors

Old 03-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Regular
I've seen similar things happen in and out of a pet store. Convict, you did the right thing IMO. Someone else may have noticed and told store personnel but it didnt get cleaned up. Anything is possible. We have a store that leaves their dead fish in a trash can in the fish section until the can is full. People get sick from the smell and management will not remove it. Whatever the situation was at the store before you arrived is unknown.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:45 PM   #38
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Well, glad things seem ok there now.
Not gonna lie, if I owned that store and somebody came in and told me they made the call, I might get arrested for making a public scene while expressing my anger. In this case, his brushing you off may literally have been the nicest thing he felt that he could do.
Considering all the people who responded, I think you can confidently say that if the store was genuinely having a horrible issue and causing unnecessary health risks, they would have suffered greater consequences.
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, but thankfully they both led to fish stores.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion
I am just wondering how the conversations went between the departments...

"Hey Bill, some guy found a pile of smelly dead fish next to a dumpster..."

"Oh God, I'll call in backup - might need SWAT for this one!"
Old 03-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict
However the conversation went I'm sure it was probably funny but on my end it wasn't too funny. Especially since I know all the local authorities.

And then this just occurred to me... How do we know that this wasn't brought to anyone's attention? Given the time if day(late afternoon) you would think someone else had to of seen/smelled this...

Maybe no one cared? Maybe society just looks at things different? Maybe it was addresses and wasn't taken care of? We can ask a lot of questions and probably will never know.

All we do know is one person cares enough to make a difference. One person cared enough to make things better. As small as it may seem, someone acted instead of just passing by and ignoring it.

That one person was ME! I sleep well at night, we can "quarterback" this all we want bottom line again is...

It is what it is...

Oh btw... If this sounds like I'm angry I'm not lol. I just re read it and can see how it may sound it but its all good

I'm comfortable with my decision...

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com