Shocking story. Pic included! Not pretty!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could see this going down
CSI the whole nine yards lol
this crazy world sure can put things way out of proportion sometimes
I'm sure the store disposed of the fish in a dumpster properly birds or cats got in and caused the crime scene spew them all over
but yes I'm sure it was a horrible sight especially for the little ones

Oh like dogs never get into garbage :p

I think you handled the situation expertly, Convict.

What a horrible excuse for a "pet store".

To anyone who thinks this is tolerable, I would say "What if EVERYONE simultaneously decided to handle their "garbage" in this manner? (aside from the obvious cruelty issues) Would that not attract vermin like rats which are known to carry and spread plague/hantavirus? (Google it...every single year in the US there are cases of these and other diseases spread by rodents)

I think you handled the situation expertly, Convict.

What a horrible excuse for a "pet store".

To anyone who thinks this is tolerable, I would say "What if EVERYONE simultaneously decided to handle their "garbage" in this manner? (aside from the obvious cruelty issues) Would that not attract vermin like rats which are known to carry and spread plague/hantavirus? (Google it...every single year in the US there are cases of these and other diseases spread by rodents)

Thank you!! :)

The bottom line is - you have no idea how the fish got where you found them, you have no idea who disposed of them originally, how they were disposed of originally, how long they had been there, how they died, when they died, what was done to prevent them dying, who had been notified, who had seen it, who had tried to clean it up, who hadn't tried to clean it up, etc. etc. You have no idea what ANY of the circumstances leading up to this situation were in ANY way whatsoever, and you entirely bypassed the logical method of approaching the situation by calling the police instead of discussing the issue with any of the employees, or even bothering to inquire if they were aware of it? No obviously that would be a foolish endeavor.

You people are acting like this is some terrible genocidal biological hazard that poses a threat to life as we know it. It was some small, dead fish in a parking lot near a dumpster. I throw a garbage bag full of fish carcasses in the dumpster every week - life goes on. Unless we know the truthful details of the situation entirely, it is foolish to be making judgments on what this fish store is or is not guilty of. That seems to be the spirit of people these days - guilty until proven innocent, call the feds now, ask questions later. You're right, we never will know what happened and it is what it is - but as of now it is what you made it, and frankly I find the situation comically asinine. I think you deserve no thanks and no support for your decision, considering that you made it entirely on speculation and perpetuated that speculation into people on this forum as acceptable. It is indeed for the best that you did not mention the name of the store - I would have sent them a letter apologizing for this ridiculous inconvenience.

The bottom line is - you have no idea how the fish got where you found them, you have no idea who disposed of them originally, how they were disposed of originally, how long they had been there, how they died, when they died, what was done to prevent them dying, who had been notified, who had seen it, who had tried to clean it up, who hadn't tried to clean it up, etc. etc. You have no idea what ANY of the circumstances leading up to this situation were in ANY way whatsoever, and you entirely bypassed the logical method of approaching the situation by calling the police instead of discussing the issue with any of the employees, or even bothering to inquire if they were aware of it? No obviously that would be a foolish endeavor.

You people are acting like this is some terrible genocidal biological hazard that poses a threat to life as we know it. It was some small, dead fish in a parking lot near a dumpster. I throw a garbage bag full of fish carcasses in the dumpster every week - life goes on. Unless we know the truthful details of the situation entirely, it is foolish to be making judgments on what this fish store is or is not guilty of. That seems to be the spirit of people these days - guilty until proven innocent, call the feds now, ask questions later. You're right, we never will know what happened and it is what it is - but as of now it is what you made it, and frankly I find the situation comically asinine. I think you deserve no thanks and no support for your decision, considering that you made it entirely on speculation and perpetuated that speculation into people on this forum as acceptable. It is indeed for the best that you did not mention the name of the store - I would have sent them a letter apologizing for this ridiculous inconvenience.

With all respect. It's my sworn public duty to act when called upon, whether on duty or not. You don't like my job as service to the public? Don't read this thread anymore. Your way outta line IMO and you should write me an apology!!

I took an oath as a fire chief and other teams I'm on... When pulling into an area in a "marked" official vehicle you have a certain standard to uphold! And when people and my wife are complaining about an odor and 50 maybe more dead fish all over the parking lot near the dumpster there's decision to be made. Your entitle to your opinion though... You don't like don't? Too bad really!! If your happy about it another too bad for ya!

We all have a certain degree of responsibility even as citizens. Maybe you'll turn a blind eye or walk in and talk to someone and take there word for it. Link you said times have changed. You weren't in my position. Don't question my intelligence as a public servant.

Maybe instead of your post which by the way is off the path anyway... Your being judgmental as you say for other not to be.

Bottom mine is this.... I have a job no matter where I am... I carry my badge and ID's with pride. I was asked to so something and I did, protocol my friend, sorry you feel that way.

You'd be the guy I'd fine and shut down if I ever ran into you and had the opportunity too. You sound like real nice guy...

You judged a scene when you weren't there uncalled for and your post isn't even worth reading again.

Enjoy your day.

Last edited:
I think you did the right thing. Business owners and managers need to be held to better standards.

If a business can't control their disposal methods they need to be shutdown for a few days. No excuse for dead animals strewn all over an alley way or parking lot. Bag the animals, secure the bags, secure the dumpster. Simple. No way should dogs, cats or birds should be able to get into a secure lidded dumpster. That's management and employee indifference and/or laziness.

Show me where in your oath you swore to report all cases of smelly dead fish :) I would love for you to find me a single law, code, or article that specifies proper disposal methods of pet fish, fish carcasses etc. on private property, not pertaining to contamination of a public waterway.

What standard were you upholding? The standard of taking extraordinary measures to rectify a minor situation? The standard of potentially needlessly disrupting business practices for extended periods of time? Thankfully my residence is far outside your jurisdiction and I am safe from such occurrences.

I am judging this situation (this thread, and your actions) as you yourself report them. If you can't paint an accurate picture of what happened then we are lost to begin with. Aside from trying to decipher your spelling and grammar, my day will most certainly be splendid.

This thread stinks worse than any fish dumpster I've ever smelled.

EDIT: For the record, it is incredibly difficult to secure a standard dumpster from access by curious animals - hence the implementation of wildlife proof garbage receptacles in camping areas, parks, etc. which are collected and emptied by hand. Unfortunately, most cities require businesses dispose of refuse in standardized containers (i.e, dumpsters) if the business wants collection performed. It may very well be a legal impossibility to employ use of animal-proof waste containers.

Show me where in your oath you swore to report all cases of smelly dead fish :) I would love for you to find me a single law, code, or article that specifies proper disposal methods of pet fish, fish carcasses etc. on private property, not pertaining to contamination of a public waterway.

What standard were you upholding? The standard of taking extraordinary measures to rectify a minor situation? The standard of potentially needlessly disrupting business practices for extended periods of time? Thankfully my residence is far outside your jurisdiction and I am safe from such occurrences.

I am judging this situation (this thread, and your actions) as you yourself report them. If you can't paint an accurate picture of what happened then we are lost to begin with. Aside from trying to decipher your spelling and grammar, my day will most certainly be splendid.

This thread stinks worse than any fish dumpster I've ever smelled.

If it stinks why are you still here wasting your energy? The "oath" I took is t answer the call for help whatever help that may be from anyone, so... There's your answer in short. It wasn't just about smelly fish as you put it.

I'm gonna waste anymore time on your posts. Just remember this of your ever pulled over or god for bid need the fire dept or other emergency service WHICH btw... I hope never happens not only because I wish nothing bad to happen to you but also because I wouldn't want them to subjected to such a poor attitude!!!

Mr. Pillow, you don't know me as a person. So please I will ask you nicely to stop judging my character as a person for a member of special services by your comment saying your glad your far out of my jurisdiction. You seem very bothered by this...

I wonder why that may be...

Also the picture was painted. If your can't see that then why are still here? Your making a mockery of this thread and went way off topic with personal attacks and loose opinions...

Last edited:
The bottom line is that is a forum of individual opinions. Some agree and some do not, you can't get upset with people just cause they disagree with your actions and vocalize it.

I as well feel like this situation probably got blown way out of proportion, we can speculate on how the fish got to their parking lot resting places all we want but without being there to view it then we will probably never know. What's done is done.

Now, what was the original point of this thread?

Yes because in the 21st century, with fancy cell phones, Internet access almost anywhere, and all our technological advances we can't figure out how to keep curious animals out of a dumpster. LOL

You judged a scene when you weren't there uncalled for and your post isn't even worth reading again.

LoL, I love how you called out MrPillow for judging how you reacted without being there....but you weren't there for whatever happened at this LFS and you judged it before talking to the owners...

What a hypocrite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom