Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Shocking story. Pic included! Not pretty!!

So... The wife and go to a LFS in the area just to look around. We park the car and go take my son out. I smell something horrible but pass it off.

My wife says she smells it too and asks me if I smell it. I say yeah it's nasty. We walk up around the back of the lot and she stops and says ewwww!!! Babe look! A dead fish. I go over and look, yup a dead fish. Ok let's move on... Then... I saw another and another. She saw another and more and more and more!!!

It was a horrific sight!!! 50 fish maybe more all over the back lot near the dumpsters.

I called the local police who called the health dept who called the animal control.

Well it turned into a HUGE thing!! The LFS claims the fish died from a bacteria and were disposed of. The authorities weren't happy with anything. They were shut down, they were ordered to quarantine all there fish and not to sell any fish. A posting was put up on the door also.

I had to fill out a deposition... So... It wasn't the trip I was expecting.

Here is a pic of one of the poor guys. It's sad that a store just allows this to happen.

*NOTE* please do not ask me what store or names or specific info as I will not entertain the questions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2455609466.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	160145

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 03-17-2013, 12:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I understand disposing of sick fish... fine.

But what in the world was going on that it was not done properly!

That is a shame.

Sometimes learning from the mistakes of others is all the education and experience you need.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbanker View Post
I understand disposing of sick fish... fine.

But what in the world was going on that it was not done properly!

That is a shame.
I know that's what I was thinking. They said they all died from a bacteria. Put yet were open for business selling fish! Well... Until I showed up.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 03-17-2013, 01:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Dang, well you did the right thing..or could of asked them about it and if they wouldn't of took care of it properly, then call someone. Were they all kinds of fish (salt and fresh). Cuz how would all be bacteria and still have others being sold? That would mean EVERY fish there is infected.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You did the right thing imo. It's a shame when fish are lost like that, but not properly disposing of them and continuing to sell fish is inexcusable!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockX View Post
Dang, well you did the right thing..or could of asked them about it and if they wouldn't of took care of it properly, then call someone. Were they all kinds of fish (salt and fresh). Cuz how would all be bacteria and still have others being sold? That would mean EVERY fish there is infected.
Honestly hard to tell. If I had to guess I'd say freshwater.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:51 AM   #7
come get me tang police!

Could've been a bad shipment that had issues. They could've also put it in/near the dumpster and a dog or cat got into it and strew them out everywhere.

So you shut down a fish store because they had some fish that died of "bacteria"? I think most fish stores would be put out of business if they were held to that standard.

Normally a good running LFS has half decent QT practices and if they have an outbreak of something (it happens!) then they shut down a certain system or section until the threat has been resolved, not sure if it's worth closing an entire store over.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:53 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Ruining some peoples livelihood always makes me feel better about myself and my fishy friends.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:04 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
Could've been a bad shipment that had issues. They could've also put it in/near the dumpster and a dog or cat got into it and strew them out everywhere.

So you shut down a fish store because they had some fish that died of "bacteria"? I think most fish stores would be put out of business if they were held to that standard.

Normally a good running LFS has half decent QT practices and if they have an outbreak of something (it happens!) then they shut down a certain system or section until the threat has been resolved, not sure if it's worth closing an entire store over.
Yea it wasn't my intentions. It kinda spiraled outta control after more and more different agencies arrived.

It did cross my mind.... "What did I get myself into"

It was too late though...

Lesson learned on my part. Maybe I shouldn't get so involved or should I?

Old 03-17-2013, 02:05 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

All in all, I find the dead fish to be the least shocking part of this story.

Tags
pic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com