Should i work at my LFS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so I have a little dilemma. I recently went for job interview at a big retail store that sells designer brands that someone helped get me in. After the interview, I got news that the interviewer was more than impressed which is awesome but today I get a call to go in for an interview at my LFS. Well, It's more of a chain but it's really clean and well kept.

Anyways, if I end up getting both I have absolutely no idea which to choose. The retail would look awesome on my resume for future jobs but I'd much prefer to work at the fish store. Not to mention, someone really gave a lot to help me get in to the big retail store. Then again, the LFS would be a lot more fun and discounts lol

Anybody here worked at a fish store? Opinions?

I think it's all how you see work, to be honest. For me, my job is not fun, BUT, serves as a means to an end to help support hobbies like fish keeping. But thats what makes a hobby, a hobby. It isn't what I do all day long, but gives me something to look forward to at the end of the day. If the retail job is a gateway to a much larger future, I would personally go that route. If you are one who wants to love what they do, even if it means less money, and a much different lifestyle, then do that. Nobody can tell you whats best for you.

For me it'd come down to the salary, as bad as that sounds. Well, that and job security.

I'd love to do both and my wallet would too but I'm currently working now until after New Years and could only manage two jobs, 3 would be too hectic especially with college.

I know the higher end retail will start off with a base salary but it can be raised throughout the year based on evaluations. Not sure about the pet center yet.

Honestly, assuming that neither of these jobs have anything to do with your college major I would say go with what makes you happier assuming it can work around a class schedule.

If having the retail job however will give you a foot in the door for your college major I would say do that.

Honestly, assuming that neither of these jobs have anything to do with your college major I would say go with what makes you happier assuming it can work around a class schedule.

If having the retail job however will give you a foot in the door for your college major I would say do that.

I agree with this, i didn't know it was just a sort of on the side job. Go for the fish shop!

Yes, they are both part time and both generally entry level positions, one being a sales rep and the other sales/expert in the fish department that does require more knowledge though.

My only concern is I'd feel bad saying no to the retail job after having someone go through a lot to get me in.

Go with what will make you happy. It will make your work a lot more enjoyable.

Overall, I think I'd enjoy both but I mean, getting paid to do something you consider a hobby? That's awesome haha but as of now neither has hired and I haven't even gone through the fish stores interview. As of now, anything can still happen.

Decision made.

Surprisingly, I was actually being fought for between two of the stores but due to higher amount of employees I'm going to work at the closer LFS. They offered me an assisting manager position in the fish department, which in turn will look better on my resume than a stock boy or sales rep. The fish store is actually more flexible and I can manage my weeks around from part time to full time and if need be, within warning, I can take days off to study. Down side, it's still minimum wage but I do have other means of making money on the side from my current job and who knows, maybe a raise might come to me. I do get insurance after one year though and the retail job offered no benefits.

Oh, and the best part? Discounts ;)

Back
Top Bottom