Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2005, 09:56 AM   #101
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Isn't it worth looking at if the well being of our children is at stake?
Yes, as long as it is for safety, your own good, health, or because I know better I should be able to control your behavior? No, eh? Well then I guess I will just have to say you must do it for the children! Who could argue with that! (OK, got my morning dose of sarcasm done with) but seriously, JG, we can prove just about anything with the right data selection and mathematical manipulation. Don't you know that It has been "proven" many times that day-care is bad for children? Should we revoke the working rights of millions of parents "for the childrens sake?"

It always seems so simple, but when it comes to people and society it always ends up so complex.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:02 PM   #102
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

TomK2

Again - reread by post - I'm not arguing the data manipulation point , in fact , I agreed with you and I will not argue the point regarding our obligations to the health and safety of children.

I've no issue with an well informed adult choosing to smoke, although I do find it odd to use the word choose.

It is my understanding that many beginning smokers have to "learn how to smoke " as the response of most people is to cough as the smoke enters the lungs. Such is the strength of nicotine that it would cause a person crave ( oops , I mean choose ) to inhale foreign particlates directly into the lungs creating a coughing spasm. My evening dose of sarcasim.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:20 PM   #103
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
It is my understanding that many beginning smokers have to "learn how to smoke "
I know of two things that are infinite, The Universe and human stupidity. And I am not too sure about the Universe.
------- Albert Einstein
Old 02-04-2005, 08:32 PM   #104
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchillin
I happen to be one of them.
Kevin...I think my post was misunderstood. I agreed with QTOFFER. I just pointed out that I was one of those unfortunates...did you notice the frown smiley? We shall always be at peace...even though we may disagree.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:38 PM   #105
Rudy_627

no cause im hungry with a VERY VERY fast motabolism and im trying to GAIN weight

Old 02-04-2005, 08:39 PM   #106
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK2
Quote:
It is my understanding that many beginning smokers have to "learn how to smoke "
I know of two things that are infinite, The Universe and human stupidity. And I am not too sure about the Universe.
------- Albert Einstein
Not sure if that was directed at me. If it was ...

Well up until now everyone has been quite civilized.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:14 PM   #107
Aquarium Advice Addict

JG - not directed at you personally. I thought it whimsically explained why people do all sorts of things that might be harmful to them. No offense intended.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:33 PM   #108
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oky-Doky !

None taken.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:49 PM   #109
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just stumbled across this thread and have been reading through it. I'd just like to say I'm amazed and impressed at how civil this debate has been. Incivility was the main reason I left the forum I used to call home, with debates quickly escalating to personal attacks and immature members fanning the flames. I really don't have anything to add to the topic that hasn't already been stated quite well by QTOFFER and others, I just wanted to say thanks for providing a great place for civil discourse
Old 02-05-2005, 07:06 PM   #110

Does'nt all food have the potential to kill and cause obesity if abused? I think at this point in society people as a whole try to blame someone or something else for our problems. It really comes down to personal responsibility and self control in most cases.

I do like my #1 with an orange drink though!!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com