Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2005, 12:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfish
Umm. I am no longer going to post in this thread. It is obviously a rant. Clown Monarch you do have a point but.... I think you need to take a walk and calm down.
It's not a rant, I just like to debate. To tell you the truth, I like the ban because I want my girlfriend to quit smoking. As far as I'm concerned, anything that encourages her to quit smoking is a good thing.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 02-02-2005, 12:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danio35
PLUS, McDonalds is not all bad. Think of the people they employ. People with little education can get health insurance and money to survive and feed their kids and not suck off of the government. Think of the people who make the little boxes their food goes in. The people who make the chairs and tables, who paint the place, who construct the buildings, who make the toilet paper in the buildings, who process the meat, the truckers who truck the stuff to them, the people who make the McDonald's badges or clothes or aprons or hats.

Closing down McDonald's would affect FAR more people than you can imagine. The food may not be good if you overdo it, but McDonald's does FAR more good for the community than bad.

What about the Ronald McDonald houses? What would happen to the parents of the kids with cancer if they shut down? Will you let them stay in your house?

Capitalism is not necessarily a bad thing....

The same could be said of the tobacco industry.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 02-02-2005, 12:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Monarch

It's not a rant, I just like to debate. To tell you the truth, I like the ban because I want my girlfriend to quit smoking. As far as I'm concerned, anything that encourages her to quit smoking is a good thing.
Ok I appologize. Debate on. I just will choose to abstain.

Whoops did I just post in this thread when I said I wouldn't.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Monarch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danio35
PLUS, McDonalds is not all bad. Think of the people they employ. People with little education can get health insurance and money to survive and feed their kids and not suck off of the government. Think of the people who make the little boxes their food goes in. The people who make the chairs and tables, who paint the place, who construct the buildings, who make the toilet paper in the buildings, who process the meat, the truckers who truck the stuff to them, the people who make the McDonald's badges or clothes or aprons or hats.

Closing down McDonald's would affect FAR more people than you can imagine. The food may not be good if you overdo it, but McDonald's does FAR more good for the community than bad.

What about the Ronald McDonald houses? What would happen to the parents of the kids with cancer if they shut down? Will you let them stay in your house?

Capitalism is not necessarily a bad thing....

The same could be said of the tobacco industry.

Again, go capitalism and freedom of choice....
Old 02-02-2005, 12:34 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

If no one has noticed, McDonald's has changed their marketing strategy and is geared more toward adults (The "I'm loving it" campaign). They make sure to emphasize the .99 cent menu. The children's campaign is and has always been the "Happy Meal".

I agree with Austinsdad that parents have a large measure of responsibility for what their children consume. Overindulging in anything cannot be good for you but greed often overtakes people.

BTW, the FDA and the SS Administration have recently recognized obesity as an illness.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
As far as Mcdonalds and obesity goes. Two words....personal responsibility.
Just like that insane coffee spilling law suit several years ago, people need to quit placing blame on "evil" companies like this for the stupid things individuals do.
If you have a pulse and keep up with anything that goes on around your it should be known that this crap they pass off as food, is bad for you.
Personal responsibility, personal responsibility, personal responsibility!! If we don't get this back...well, we are in trouble.
Sorry, that kind of stuff makes me nuts....end of rant.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:42 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Personal responsibility in this country is as dead as the dodo.

The word of the day is "personal injury lawsuit" - it's the new American dream.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Old 02-02-2005, 12:42 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
1. Health care. Obesity costs this country FAR more in health care costs and lost productivity than smoking.

2. Let's face it, McDonald's food is just plain bad for you - and obesity KILLS a lot of people each year.

3. Alright, so those people aren't offending my sense of smell, but a 500 lb McDonald's customer is just darned unpleasant to the eye.

4. McDonald's markets it's deadly products directly to children. Ronald McDonald will eventually kill far more kids than Joe Camel ever did.
1. Health care costs are so high in part for all the greedy people and laywers out there who like to file class action lawsuits or frivilous lawsuits. All those multimillon dollar awards cost us money in the end.

2. No one forces anyone to purchase food from McDonalds or any other resturant. Its our responsbility to eat and purchase foods from where we chose. Clearly alot of people chose to eat there and they must face the end result.

3. There are many other reasons someone would be grossly obese. Ever hear of genetic disorders that cause the body to have a very out of wack metabolisum? U think its just junk food or empty calories that have to do with obesity? Stress, enviormental issues, genetic issues are all important factors aswell.

4. So. Its the role of the parent to teach their children responsible eating habits not a resturant, store or anyone else for that fact.

Now I know the state of VA has either recently passed or is working on passing a bill that will make it unlawful to file a lawsuit in the state of VA where people claim their health status was the result of a resturant. IE sewing a fastfood business because your vastly overweight and you ate there two times a day for the last 20 years.

Mcdonalds is being singled out here clearly. Is Burgerking, Wendys, Arbys, Hardees, Roy Rodgers, TasteFreeze, or any of the hundreds of other fast food chains any more healthy? Not really. Its all a part of the choices one makes on a daily basis. In the end the only person to blame for the food you eat is yourself. Only people whom can cry fowl as to what they are being forced to eat are babies, extremely disabled, and I suppose inmates.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
Now I know the state of VA has either recently passed or is working on passing a bill that will make it unlawful to file a lawsuit in the state of VA where people claim their health status was the result of a resturant. IE sewing a fastfood business because your vastly overweight and you ate there two times a day for the last 20 years.
I'm VERY anti-lawsuit so this sits just fine with me. Would you also support an anti-litigation bill as it concerns lawsuits against tabacco companies?

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Old 02-02-2005, 12:50 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
The word of the day is "personal injury lawsuit" - it's the new American dream.
I agree, sick as it is. The only way IMO to stop it is for juror's (us) to make a stand and start telling the personal injury lawyers...NO in the courtrooms.
I know, like thats gonna happen.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com