Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2005, 04:06 PM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Marijuana, on the other hand, is not physically addictive but illegal. There seems to be only one common tie between legal and illegal substances - commerce.
I think I would disagree with that.

Old 02-02-2005, 04:58 PM   #32
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
I think that the McDonald clan should exercise its right to withdraw permission of name use, and demand some compensation...a few hundred million $ worth.

Why?...McDonalds just annoys the hell out of me....their marketing is pervasive and irritating, their food is nauseating and unhealthy, and their 'happy meals' are sold on the basis of the toy included, not the food. Oh yes...and because I hate clowns.

www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Old 02-02-2005, 05:09 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmoorishmanxx
There is a movie out there about things like this i believe the name of it is "Supersize Me" havent seen it personally but might worth seeing from what i here
It is an interesting movie. Yes, too much Mcdonalds is bad. Yes smoking is bad. What about alcohol? If Mcdonalds should be banned then lets bring back prohibition. How many people are killed every day because of drunk drivers,liver disease? And while we are at it, how about a new law making sun block mandatory, and tanning beds illegal. *I dont actually think any of these things should be done* I guarantee that a person comes into contact with things every day that could be potentially fatal. Why would someone want to be told what they can and can not eat? I agree that it is all about personal responsibility. I could spend my whole life worrying about other people and what is going to happen to them if they dont become more healthy or quit smoking, but then I would probably get an ulcer.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:30 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Kinda straying from the subject, but...

I couldn't really care less what anyone does. If someone wants to eat McDonald's 3 times a day, smoke 5 packs a day, and wash it all down with a gallon of vodka - fine by me. Personal responsibility, baby. Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing.

The only problem is when that person ends up on life support for the rest of his life at $10,000 per day - we all foot the bill. Suddenly this guy's choices become my problems too. Fact is, smoking is costing ALL of us a lot of money. Obesity is costing ALL of us a lot of money.

There's nothing wrong with taxing the heck out of those things that are costing everyone in society.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 02-02-2005, 05:54 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
I don't know if this has been mentioned since I only scanned responces
but McDonalds should have been banned long ago for the animal slaughtering techniques. I read an article about how they go about killing their animals (and how they don't meet certain standards of human-ness)... it was absolutely horrible.

Old 02-02-2005, 05:57 PM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Should McDonald's be banned
I'm responding just off the first page, haven't gone any further, so if I say something someone else has already said, oh well.

What kind of person wants more government intervention in there lives? You mention on this page the sights smells etc of a free nation, this nation has not been free for a very long time, more free than most, but certainly not free. The simple fact that you now want to legilate where I am allowed to eat, just goes to show why we are not a free nation. If you don't like McDonalds...don't eat there, free will, you have it, use it, but do not propose to ban/legislate what and where others can eat. There are many liberties we used to have that were simply handed away as it is.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 02-02-2005, 05:58 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

lyquidphyre, more companies than just McDonalds should be forced to change their slaughter practices.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:00 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Personally I feel that every time the govt legislates something an individual can't do, we ALL lose. I'd prefer to see less of the govt in my personal life than more of it.

This is a good debate. It makes one ask some questions about right and wrong. Is the good of the masses more important than the rights of an individual? I'm going to wear my seat belt when I drive, but I'm annoyed that I'll be fined if I don't.

As far as the cost associated with health care from obesity and smoking, one can argue that it's just accelerating the time frame of when those costs are brought to bear. Perhaps there may even be fewer health care costs for a fat smoker that drops dead of a massive coronary without ever having a stay in a hospital, than the 90 year old that is hospitalized perpetually with a variety of age related illnesses. There's always a counterpoint!
Old 02-02-2005, 06:06 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyZ
Quote:
Marijuana, on the other hand, is not physically addictive but illegal. There seems to be only one common tie between legal and illegal substances - commerce.
I think I would disagree with that.
Actually, BillyZ this is true. There have been studies that show that marijuana is not 'physically' addictive. I don't know them offhand, but would be willing to do the research and find out if you want to know.

When I was in my psych class when I was going to nursing school we talked about illegal drugs. My instructor said that the only thing wrong with pot is that it makes you stupid, but it's not addictive.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:10 PM   #40
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:

I'd just hate to think that right and wrong in this country is dictated by profits...
LMAO, Just got to this part, I guess you think no one is making any money off of dope...LOL, I'd wager more money is made off of drugs in this country than in McDonalds, I think it might be close, but I think drugs would win out.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com