Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2005, 06:18 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just a thought here......legalise marihuana, and the bad guys won't make any more money. That's what they did in Holland anyway, don't know if it really helped with drugmoney decreasing, I have no statistics about it. They recently legalised it in Belgium as well, but there aren't any coffeeshops (not coffee, you buy canabis there) over here as in Holland. I was surprised, that when I traveled through Switzerland, I saw people smoking canabis in the railway stations. It's legal there as well, even in public, that's the part I dislike.

FYI, I do not smoke cannabis. I have tried it though, and I must say I won't do it again, not much to it, and if you smoke to much, you can get reaaaaaaaaally sick (trust me).

Old 02-02-2005, 06:22 PM   #42
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Just a thought here......legalise marihuana
I believe it's coming, eventually.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 02-02-2005, 06:25 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
Quote:
Should McDonald's be banned
I'm responding just off the first page, haven't gone any further, so if I say something someone else has already said, oh well.

What kind of person wants more government intervention in there lives? You mention on this page the sights smells etc of a free nation, this nation has not been free for a very long time, more free than most, but certainly not free. The simple fact that you now want to legilate where I am allowed to eat, just goes to show why we are not a free nation. If you don't like McDonalds...don't eat there, free will, you have it, use it, but do not propose to ban/legislate what and where others can eat. There are many liberties we used to have that were simply handed away as it is.
Then we agree. My post is in response to "Should we ban smoking in restaurants".

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 02-02-2005, 06:37 PM   #44
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
"Should we ban smoking in restaurants".
My response to that would be no, not by law anyway. If a restaraunt allows smoking, they should be required to have a non smoking section that is kept free of the smoke. Whether smoking is allowed at all, should be up to the restaraunt, it is after all their property, I'm a smoker, but no one, and I mean no one is allowed to smoke in my house. I do not do it and I do not allow others to do it, my property, my choice, however, I would be within my rights to allow anyone to smoke in my house that I wanted to, why should a restaraunt be different? Again, non-smokers will plead they are being subjected to my smoke, but the simple fact is that no one is making them eat at the restaraunt. Again, it's personal responsibility for the non-smokers as well as the smokers.

Old 02-02-2005, 06:49 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
all i can say is this ... who would eat at rotten ronnies?? Then again ... a lot of fast food chains are jsut like them and i rarely ever eat at any of them unless i am in dire need of a meal and there is no other place around!

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
Old 02-02-2005, 09:04 PM   #46
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

" Furthermore, there are studies that also show that second-hand smoke is harmless - or at least as harmless as breathing other toxins emitted in legal quantities, but I won't use this as an argument."

I disagree. A very recent study of children of smokers have found that they score 10 - 15 % lower on reading and math tasks than do their nonsmoke exposed peers. Children of smokers also have a much larger incidence of asthma as well.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:13 PM   #47
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I disagree. A very recent study of children of smokers have found that they score 10 - 15 % lower on reading and math tasks than do their nonsmoke exposed peers.
This might be a valid study if the only difference between all the children and families studied was the parents either smoked or didn't, simple fact is there are way to many variable to gather any useful information from a study like this.

Old 02-02-2005, 09:21 PM   #48
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This was actually a very well controlled study which did take into account the other variables ( socio-economic, education of the parents, ...) As a science person, I always look at the study with a skeptic's eye.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:26 PM   #49
AA Team Emeritus

I don't care how controlled it is, it is simply someone's way of getting grant money, there are too many variables. It's that simple, the only way for it to be valid was if the children and parents and everyone in the childs lineage were all clones of the same person and the only difference were whether the parents smoked or not. If your a science person, you certainly understand that, there can be no real control on a test like this. For your test I can almost guarantee there is another, just as controlled that shows children of parents who smoke are 10-15% more artistic than those whose parents don't smoke. Or simply has the exact opposite conclusion of this one.

Old 02-02-2005, 09:44 PM   #50
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

True - but that is what science is about - trying to find patterns in data.

The chemical in smoke are vascular constrictors. This means that there is decreased blood flow throughout the body - including the brain. The theory presented in this study was that the decrease in blood flow ( which is measureable ) may lead to lower academic performance. This does not mean that every child of a smoker will show this trend, only that is is a trend in the test group of children. Also, like any theory, it should be repeatable in future studies if the trend is really there.

We either decide to accept or not based on the evidence. Someone may come along with another test that produces different set of results or even see another pattern in an established set of data. On the smoking issue - I choose to err on the side of caution.

This is not an attack on smokers - just another set of data to look at and consider especially if there are children involved.

Just my 2 cents worth and I'm done !

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com