Should tobacco be banned?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should Tobacco products be banned?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Atari said:
I think it might have been better to word the poll question a little more towards banning in all public places. Even those that keep stating everyone should have the right to choose would probably vote yes (I hope) because there's no worthwhile argument for making non-smokers inhale secondhand smoke.

I do find it interesting though, how passionately people defend certain obviously dangerous/lethal products.

I disagree with the ban on all public places. A Bar or restaurant owner should have the right to establish their business as smoking or non smoking. Patrons can then make the choice if they want to enter that environment.

Local governments are passing bans that prohibit smoking in all establishments that include smoke shops such as a cigar lounge basically putting people out of business and denying others the right to choose.

I think the answer is to enforce higher standards of ventilation systems for those that have segregated areas or mandate all or none for smoking establishments and then post it outside. Outright banning and removing the freedom of choice is not the answer.

I for one would seek out a cigar lounge for an occassional smoke, but would more likely frequent a non-smoking bar or restaurant as I usually do not care for cigarette smoke if I am not lighting up. The key is I would know what the establishment is before I entered and have the right to choose. Let the freemarket supply and demand drive the the system. After all free market is what one of the foundations of our country.

/me puffs on his pipe thoughtfully

Think I'll stay out of this one...all I'm going to say is that going to a bar or sitting around home, smoking my pipe and drinking a summer martini or winter manhatten goes hand in hand for me.

BillyZ said:
Clown Monarch said:
Smoking should be banned on the same day that unhealthy food, motorcycles, and sunbathing are banned.

And as soon as my sitting fully clothed next to a sun-bather puts my health at risk, I'll agree with you.

Smoking is fine by me, as long as you're not making me do it with you. I'm for banning smoking in public areas/reastuarnts etc. What someone does on their own is none of my buisness.

The question was "Should smoking be banned?", not "Should smoking be allowed in restaurants?"

Addressing your other issue, shouldn't retaurant owners be able to choose their smoking policy? It doesn't seem a bit ridiculous that you want ALL restaurants to cater to your needs?

I certainly don't expect that restaurant owners REQUIRE smoking in all sections of their establishments.

Clown Monarch said:
The question was "Should smoking be banned?", not "Should smoking be allowed in restaurants?"
I never said that was the question. My statement was to clarify my opinion on, IMO, a vaugely worded poll.

My other statements are merely pointing out the rediculous comparisons that are so routinely made in this argument. "X is bad for you too, why aren't people crying out for that to be banned?" When "X" is something that in no way harms other people simply by being near someone who's doing X. I can't give you cancer by sun-bathing. Your smoking can give me cancer. So I'll pose you're own question back to you: It doesn't seem a bit ridiculous that you want everyone else to have health problems simply to cater to your addiction?

I think there are some really greats points being brought up...TAXES! I totally forgot about that...imagine the amount of taxes that would be lost if tobacco was banned. prohibition...anytime you talk about banning something you have to consider that it didn't work for alcohol. (by the way I don't consider alcohol deadly unless it is severely abused.) And basic freedom of choice...thats a tough one...should we be free to make choice that can cause cancer not only in yourself but others around you. As far as restuarnts go... i've worked in restaurants since i was 16 (now 38) and I am currently trying to buy my own pub...and there is some statistics that show a 20% loss of business in places that ban tobacco in restaurants, but i still feel that non-smokers right not to "smoke" out-weighs the smokers right to "choose" to smoke.
**note: to all posters...please be careful not to use insults to make your point...this is meant to be an open and friendly discussion about a very controversial subject

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom