Shrimp Vase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrickriley2010

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a vase that is roughly 1 gallon 3 9/10 of a quart filled to the top. I want to know if its okay to put a plant and a shrimp or two in and what kind of filter should I use if so?

image-1244530939.jpg

Also I think it would look cool with some
Of my large rock

image-2929705041.jpg

And a bamboo growing out the middle

I tried it with a ghost shrimp and a rams horn snail... I didn't end up well for me but I would say if your on top of your water changes and looking out for your amonia you should be fine just be careful not to over feed, Also I would just make sure that the water temperature is good

I tried it with a ghost shrimp and a rams horn snail... I didn't end up well for me but I would say if your on top of your water changes and looking out for your amonia you should be fine just be careful not to over feed, Also I would just make sure that the water temperature is good

I might just put an aquatic plant in there for ease

I put 2 moss balls in my tank. They're pretty neat. My crayfish keeps moving them around, lol. Leafy beachballs!

I have a vase that is roughly 1 gallon 3 9/10 of a quart filled to the top. I want to know if its okay to put a plant and a shrimp or two in and what kind of filter should I use if so?

Also I think it would look cool with some
Of my large rock

And a bamboo growing out the middle

For filtration change a cup of water a day, put a pair of mossballs and some ammonia sucking stems then for the top get A pothos plant there's 3 different kinds and do well with the roots constantly soaked. Shrimp don't put out much bio load neither do most snails.

Last edited:
For filtration change a cup of water a day, put a pair of mossballs and some ammonia sucking stems then for the top get A pothos plant there's 3 different kinds and do well with the roots constantly soaked. Shrimp don't put out much bio load neither do most snails.

Thanks for the info !

I might just put an aquatic plant in there for ease

This ends up being very long but interesting.

About many peoples planted bowls.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/planted-bowls-256693.html

I have two, a bowl and a jar. I think the trick is making sure you have a good light for photosynthesis, plants and the right food. The bowl should be up for a while to get some biofilm growing. Using moss is a good way to make sure there is some sort of food source available to the shrimp as they like to pick all the time.

I would recommend only Hikari foods. I used a new product recently and even in a very small amount it cause a large ammonia spike. Most average flake foods are ammonia makers too. Ammonia kills shrimp. Feed tiny amount and maybe every other day.

CFL light bulbs with the 6500K or 6700K can be found at Ace hardware. I use them in the lamps next to the bowls. Though used to not use them and it still worked fine with low light plants.

My jar - the pic is cruddy but you get the idea
60074-albums12153-picture55171.jpg

My plant snippet snail bowl, where I put all the extra bits and pieces so they can grow bigger and I can plant them later! Use the Arrowhead plants in the top to assure good water quality for the shrimp.

This has MTS, Ramshorn snails and a pond snail, and approx 6 Cherry shrimp, though there may have been babies recently.

60074-albums12102-picture54575.jpg

Last edited:
This ends up being very long but interesting.

About many peoples planted bowls.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/planted-bowls-256693.html

I have two, a bowl and a jar. I think the trick is making sure you have a good light for photosynthesis, plants and the right food. The bowl should be up for a while to get some biofilm growing. Using moss is a good way to make sure there is some sort of food source available to the shrimp as they like to pick all the time.

I would recommend only Hikari foods. I used a new product recently and even in a very small amount it cause a large ammonia spike. Most average flake foods are ammonia makers too. Ammonia kills shrimp. Feed tiny amount and maybe every other day.

CFL light bulbs with the 6500K or 6700K can be found at Ace hardware. I use them in the lamps next to the bowls. Though used to not use them and it still worked fine with low light plants.

My jar - the pic is cruddy but you get the idea

My plant snippet snail bowl, where I put all the extra bits and pieces so they can grow bigger and I can plant them later! Use the Arrowhead plants in the top to assure good water quality for the shrimp.

This has MTS, Ramshorn snails and a pond snail, and approx 6 Cherry shrimp, though there may have been babies recently.

Thank you very informative

Back
Top Bottom