Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-09-2005, 02:25 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus
Sick Liz, sick puppy

Just to let everyone know, I am battling a nasty case of bronchitis this week so I have not been around much, and my bullmastiff needs surgery tomorrow to correct a "hematoma ear" condition.

He had this very tense swollen ear and one vet just gave us antibiotics, and said to return in two weeks (huh?) so I had been aspirating this myself and it is basically filled with blood and serum, no infection. I finally found a vet recommended by a bullmastiff breeder and he knew exactly what it is, and says surgery is the only way to handle it, as it will keep bleeding and turn into an infected mess eventually if we don't do anything. The thing is that this is a giant dog and the surgery is going to run about $500, mostly the cost of the anesthesia because it takes a lot to get him under. I tried to talk them into doing it with local and Valium or something, but they won't, stating that surgery on cartilage will be painful even with Valium.

I have also hurt my back lifting the back end of a 160 pound dog into my minivan, so it has been an eventful week.

I am feverish today so I suppose I'll have to tote my own self off to the doctor.

Cross your fingers that my elderly (8 years - very old for this breed) giant dog will make it through surgery okay tomorrow.

Old 03-09-2005, 02:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Oooh, good luck tomorrow TG! Its so hard when a pet is sick. I hope you both recover quickly.

Old 03-09-2005, 03:04 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Liz, I had an afghan hound with the same situation. It is common in droop eared dogs. The problem is that they keep shaking their heads and re-aggravating the situation. We ended up having to wrap the dogs ear up onto the top of her head, and taping it in place even after the surgery....she looked goofy as heck.

Good luck and hope you get to feeling better.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Good luck TankGirl. I hope you both recover quickly.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to Rach101
Same thing happened to my golden retreiver. Hes fine now though. Hope everything goes well for your puppy and ofcourse for you.
We are far to young and clever
-too* in retrospect the irony hurts
Old 03-09-2005, 03:20 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
Thanks, everyone. I am glad to hear this is not such an unusual affliction. We have to keep his ears cleaned often because he does tend to get external ear canal infections, and he shakes his head sometimes when his ears are bad, but the thing is that this time his ears were clean. I am just annoyed that the first vet did not have a clue what it was. Needless to say I have found a new vet who is very familiar with the problems this breed is prone to.

We have been warned that he will have to wear a compression dressing on top of his head for a while, so I'll be sure and post a pic of him, lol - he'll be so humiliated!
Old 03-09-2005, 03:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Best wishes and a fast recovery to both of you.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:55 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
The two of you will be in my thoughts. Speedy recovery to you both!
Join the Eastern PA/Greater Philadelphia Forum! Click here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/groupcp.php?g=7825

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:26 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus
Here's to a speedy recovery.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:59 PM   #10
Good luck to you and your "pup", TG. Seriously, I get scared anytime they have to use anesthesia on any of my pets, so I understand your worry.

Since I have a Basset Hound, this has been informative to me also. I have to clean his stinky ears every couple days, but didn't know of this "hematoma ear" thing in droop-eared dogs.

You both get better real quick!
Closed Thread

ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com