Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Uhh ohh, whole notha debate my friend! Why get a husky if you live in Arizona? Why get a chihuahua if you live in maine?! Why get a 10" Oscar for a 10 gal tank? Why..... :head explodes:
Because you like them, and you are an intelligent being that can figure a way to be able to walk a short haired dog in a colder climate.
As for the Oscar, that's more a matter of animal cruelty than preference. Again, intelligence should help out in this case as well.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Because you like them, and you are an intelligent being that can figure a way to be able to walk a short haired dog in a colder climate.
Fair enough!

Old 01-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's worse with pet chickens. People ask if you're going to eat them when they die. Would you EVER ask someone if they will eat the dead pet they're crying over? Even if you don't understand the appeal of the pet, it's just plain inappropriate.

And yeah, people suck sometimes. Sorry about your fish.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:41 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Dogs do freeze to death just like humans. They are not impervious to the cold because they have a thin fur coating.
Tiny dog owner here, if my Yorkie is out in the cold for a minute or even less he starts shaking and is completely frozen...he needs his jacket. It's not cold here all the time, I need a jacket so does my dog.

Also working at PetSmart, this idea that fish are disposable breaks my heart. So many people come in with the attitude that "its only a fish", "if it dies I'll just buy another one, "Oh well it will probably die anyways"...I could go on for hours. Meanwhile I would be devastated if one of my clowns died. I've become very attached to them.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

[store] worse place to buy fish look all healthy and get them home few days go buy sick as hell or die maybe just the one in this city
Old 01-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

heres my take (not that in the grans scheme it matters). my family and friends know that i take my love for marine life VERY seriously, this isnt just a fun side hobby or an experiment. my fish are just as much a member of the family as the dogs and cat. you have to seperate yourself from the majority and not let their attitudes and comments bother you, those are the same people that would tie up a dog 50 yards outside and leave them there all year long. point being : their opinions and thoughts dont matter.

as for the dog situation: i own a Husky.... and laugh hysterically when i get to take him on long walks during the 10 degree weather.... dog actually is happier the colder it is. its insane.
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:26 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
heres my take (not that in the grans scheme it matters). my family and friends know that i take my love for marine life VERY seriously, this isnt just a fun side hobby or an experiment. my fish are just as much a member of the family as the dogs and cat. you have to seperate yourself from the majority and not let their attitudes and comments bother you, those are the same people that would tie up a dog 50 yards outside and leave them there all year long. point being : their opinions and thoughts dont matter. as for the dog situation: i own a Husky.... and laugh hysterically when i get to take him on long walks during the 10 degree weather.... dog actually is happier the colder it is. its insane.
I like you!!! I like huskies! Well I like fish too! But huskies are awesome! Fish are super chill munch buckets! Hey lunch box.. Pass the blood worms people without tanks will/could never understand the satisfaction of developing/maintains your own tiny>not so tiny Eco-system, it is amazing and exciting and rewarding and all the bored ones can go for a run or something, maybe walk their rabbit in 13deg weather with that custom fit rabbit sweater they paid 46$ for...
Old 01-30-2014, 11:36 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular

I love having fish there so cool to have and watch them swim eat it's very relaxing after a long day at work I just don't like when these big pet stores use products to make the fish look healthy and fine when there not and you could introduce some fish I your tank next thing you know everything in your tank is infected I also have a bearded dragon that is very cool and chill
Old 01-31-2014, 12:13 AM   #29
Adipose Fins Are Cool!

My grandpa told me long ago, "Respect all living things, cause God don't make no junk."
I miss listening to his wisdom and wonderful stories. OS.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:29 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My friends dont get that just because I can't cuddle or walk my fish theyre still an amazing pet that I enjoy very much. Sure I'll admit I love my Labrador more but doesn't mean fish aren't a fun pet to keep. So i just ignore the jokes and do what I love, aquariums.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com