Snail invasion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GNAAAR

Aquarium Advice Regular
About a month ago I bought some fish and plants for my 5 gallon but there ended up being snails in the bag with the plants which weren't a problem at first but now they cover lots of the glass in my tank. Are there any small fish that would eat the snails. The snails are usually about 5 mm big to 1 cm. I have tried clearing them out a few times but their egg patches are so hard to see that I don't get them all.

Any advice would be much appreciated. [emoji16]
Image1486941172.844431.jpg

Thats a pond/bladder snail. Prolific hardy scavengers. Loaches and puffers but imo there a better way.

Trap them. Water bottle with a vegetable inside and a couple rocks to sink. Fill and repeat.

Great snails for planted tank

Thats a pond/bladder snail. Prolific hardy scavengers. Loaches and puffers but imo there a better way.

Trap them. Water bottle with a vegetable inside and a couple rocks to sink. Fill and repeat.

Great snails for planted tank

Thanks for that, would there be any way for me to remove all the hundreds of eggs that are scattered around my tank?

It would be futile to try. Remember they are beneficial. Feed all inhabitants in the tank properly. Keep up with maintenance. I honestly never have felt I've had too many. Someone always has a horror story. But ive never witnessed anything that I would consider detrimental. Some just dislike.

GN...

Snails can tell you how you're managing your tank. A few snails tell you you're feeding the right amount. If the snail population is getting a little out of control, you're feeding too much. Reduce the amount you feed and change the water more often and vacuum the bottom material to remove excess nutrients.

Snails are a good thing. They clean up after the fish and when they die, their shells dissolve in the tank water and replenish elements the fish and plants need for good health.

B

I had a snail invasion last year. HUNDREDS of them! Someone suggested I was way over feeding my tank (2x daily, flakes and sometimes frozen). So I cut back to once a day. Now if I look really hard I might find two or three. Plus my African clawed frog helped out by eating them (you could see the shells in his stomach!) But yeah, try cutting back on the food.

Everyone send them to me

[emoji23]

I'm sure my assassin snails wouldn't mind if some came my way either...Since clearing out the pest infestation, they only eat pellet leftovers and the occasional bit of shrimp tail when I buy it for supper

I'm down to four assassins....no pests. They don't last long with assassins in the tank

I would like some nerites for the big tank

Back
Top Bottom