So guys...and gals (of course!!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can someone tell me what the +1 means? This is the second one of gotten...always makes me happy but not really sure why...lol!

As they said the +1 means you agree, however its frowned upon to just +1 a post with no addition comment or info to add... just FYI

UPDATE! So today is the day before my interview with the dog and cat store...and guess what?! The W Hotel calls me for an interview, for the concierge position I applied for! So now, I have both the pet store interview and the Hotel interview tomorrow (an hour and a half apart)...YIKES!!

Congrats on both you interviews!! Pet stores need more good people. Even though im having issues with our LFS, she was great about explaining you needed to cycle your tank first etc when I baught my kit.

Hahaha what's a toque??

WHAT?!?! I cant belive you dont know what a toque is?! Its to keep our heads from literally freezing off in -45 weather!!! LOL.

Also you said you just had a surgery, so did I. I had 1 of my bunions operated on 2 wks ago, 4 wks left of foot cast and crutches :( What did you have done? Sounds like your healing good!

Bad news...sorry was too embarrassed to post! The pet store really liked me...but went with someone that had more experience...I submitted an application to volunteer at the beach near by to teach visitors about the habitat and conservation...hopefully they won't turn me down for that too!

Not to bash companies here, but I am an employee of the original store you applied for. There are actually a lot of good people that come in and out to work there... usually they end up frustrated and quitting because it's like swimming upstream. You can talk all day about proper cycling and the care of fish and animals and maybe because it's such a big store.. you don't really always attract customers who care, whereas I am usually impressed with my fellow consumers when they are shopping at a few of my favorite smaller stores. It is always a pleasure when they do care, but most just want something right then and there because it looks cool. Not to say I don't have my fair share of incompetent coworkers. :)

You can only do so much when it comes to denial of service, and most of your managers will intervene and take the customers side unless the situation is very dire.

Not to mention.. working in pet care isn't like how most picture it. You go long periods as the only employee in the department some days and it involves a lot more than fish. You have animals in the back and front, the ones on the floor and then the fish thrown in. You get very limited time that's uninterrupted to care for them, so it's no wonder there are usually dead fish in the tanks.

I hope you get a job soon. I know how it is and it's agonizing. Now I usually wish I had the day off.. but then when I'm at home I go insane from boredom. Haha. :D

Good to know you want to do well by the animals, though. +1.

Haha...thanks! Ya, I totally understand! I just wish stores weren't all about the money

They have to be.. to a degree. To stay in business.. but at the point that PS is at now.. the guys in their offices should be more inclined to listen to us when we bring up serious issues. If they really want to be more focused on the money... the path we're on is not one that will achieve good results. Most of us who work there don't even shop there anymore. They're steadily losing business and they don't seem to realize there's a wound that's gushing.

Oh well. :p

Have you considered looking into a job at a place like the humane society? They usually have a lot of paid vet tech positions and train for it. Guess it depends on the area though.

Sorry to hear you didnt get the job joyler! WHEN you do, the'll be lucky to have you :)

I havent! Thanks for the idea though :) will have to look in to that, and thanks Tasha! Very kind :)

Back
Top Bottom