Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #271
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not to bash companies here, but I am an employee of the original store you applied for. There are actually a lot of good people that come in and out to work there... usually they end up frustrated and quitting because it's like swimming upstream. You can talk all day about proper cycling and the care of fish and animals and maybe because it's such a big store.. you don't really always attract customers who care, whereas I am usually impressed with my fellow consumers when they are shopping at a few of my favorite smaller stores. It is always a pleasure when they do care, but most just want something right then and there because it looks cool. Not to say I don't have my fair share of incompetent coworkers.

You can only do so much when it comes to denial of service, and most of your managers will intervene and take the customers side unless the situation is very dire.

Not to mention.. working in pet care isn't like how most picture it. You go long periods as the only employee in the department some days and it involves a lot more than fish. You have animals in the back and front, the ones on the floor and then the fish thrown in. You get very limited time that's uninterrupted to care for them, so it's no wonder there are usually dead fish in the tanks.

I hope you get a job soon. I know how it is and it's agonizing. Now I usually wish I had the day off.. but then when I'm at home I go insane from boredom. Haha.

Good to know you want to do well by the animals, though. +1.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #272
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Joyler
Haha...thanks! Ya, I totally understand! I just wish stores weren't all about the money

Old 05-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #273
Aquarium Advice Freak

They have to be.. to a degree. To stay in business.. but at the point that PS is at now.. the guys in their offices should be more inclined to listen to us when we bring up serious issues. If they really want to be more focused on the money... the path we're on is not one that will achieve good results. Most of us who work there don't even shop there anymore. They're steadily losing business and they don't seem to realize there's a wound that's gushing.

Oh well. :P

Have you considered looking into a job at a place like the humane society? They usually have a lot of paid vet tech positions and train for it. Guess it depends on the area though.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #274
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry to hear you didnt get the job joyler! WHEN you do, the'll be lucky to have you
Tasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #275
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Joyler
I havent! Thanks for the idea though will have to look in to that, and thanks Tasha! Very kind

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com