So many lights to choose from???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did you go with the Finnex Planted+? I have one and I like it. Did you place them on you existing hoods where the fluorescent hood were? Seem like it would fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh Jeez. Lol. I was going to start dosing with metricide 14. Not planning on diy co2. Worried about it being too inconsistent. I already put in some diy root tabs.

Fresh, I did I did. I went with the finnex. I love it. I do see what people are talking about with the moonlights not being on a separate power cord. But it's no big deal for me. Because I want it completely off at night.

It sets directly on top of the aquarium hood and the division does not create much shade. I'm super happy. Worth every penny.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416441579.530551.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416441590.709338.jpg

Wow, that is quite a difference between pics 1 and 4! If there was a center brace, I could not tell (no shadow). That blue background shows up well under that light. Glad you could use the existing hood with that. I like the low profile and compact design. I had about $50 in CC cash back so my 30" fixture was around $30 through Amazon.

Love the lighting! Really makes the black and blue pop!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Get some clothes on that kid haha, that tank looks so clean!! Don't make me regret the recommendation;) do you have a lighting timer yet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Get some clothes on that kid haha, that tank looks so clean!! Don't make me regret the recommendation;) do you have a lighting timer yet?

Didn't even notice the kid...lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't sweat it! Lol it looks clean, because it's new. I've had a timer for a while. I've got it set for 6 hrs. Then I gradually move up to how many hrs a day? I am scared to have a massive algae breakout. Lol I know there will be some, but I had a bad breakout years ago when I knew nothing and I could never conquer it.

Thanks!! It's wonderful. I hope they last a long long time. :)

They should. Spread out over the expected lifespan of the fixture, it's really economical. That's both initial and operating costs.
I would gradually work up to 8 hours a day.
Nice collection of wine pics and crosses you have there.

They should. Spread out over the expected lifespan of the fixture, it's really economical. That's both initial and operating costs.
I would gradually work up to 8 hours a day.
Nice collection of wine pics and crosses you have there.

Lol. That's another story all together.

Best way to keep algae at bay would be splitting the photo period if the timer allows? 2- 3 hr. Periods to start. Basically what's going to happen for the first few months will be a battle between algae and plants, with that small of a plant load you'll really have to work at keeping algae at bay. Adding some fast growers like ludwiga repens or hornwort will help suck up nutrients and starve the algae, the tank will eventually balance out but things can happen fast..

Thanks for your input. I just did that this morning with the timer. 9-12 and 3-6.

By how much time and how frequently would you increase the lighting and do I max out at 8 hrs a day?

Funny you say that about the plants. I'm scared to overload it with plants.
:

More plants the better! I'd rather have a few struggling plants than a green tank... i wouldn't ever go more than 7-8 hrs myslef, some go to 10. Just observe and adjust, if the plants are responding positively and the algae is minimal? Why mess with it??

Back
Top Bottom