Someone advise on CO2 for freshwater plants!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jazzybell

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm learning about the benefits of CO2 for plants and how to add it to an aquarium. I'm grasping the basics, but the problems that it can cause are where I'm stuck.

What I'm confused about and can't seem to find any answers about is how to deal with the fact that the CO2 makes your water more acidic. Is there something specifically designed to counteract this? One source I was reading says dissolve baking soda in the water.... Are they saying to add it to the tank directly? Seems a bit iffy to me... I've also read that if you use something other than a carbonate to tone down the acidity then it's capable of throwing off your KH and pH readings which are how you determine the actual level of CO2 that gets dissolved in the water.

Essentially what I'm saying is someone please advise and share your experience on this matter. I'm new to freshwater plants/diy CO2 and could use a few pointers.

Get a drop checker and keep it in the lime green color and you will be good. As long as you can keep your co2 levels consistant you won't cause any Ph swings. Or you could just go with a liquid carbon suppliment. I do a diy co2 along with liquid carbon in one tank and strictly liquid carbon in the other 3.

Get a drop checker and keep it in the lime green color and you will be good. As long as you can keep your co2 levels consistant you won't cause any Ph swings. Or you could just go with a liquid carbon suppliment. I do a diy co2 along with liquid carbon in one tank and strictly liquid carbon in the other 3.
Thanks

How does the liquid carbon supplement work out cost wise for you versus the diy version?

Forgot the excel or the API co2 booster I buy metricide 14day gluteraldehyde from amazon I get a gallon for 30 bucks shipped plus you dilute it 1:1 with distilled water and end up with 2 gallons. I've been using it for about 5 months in all my tanks and have only used 4 cups out of the origional gallon. Now with the diy system it is a pita I go through 5# of sugar every 2 months. I am in the restarunt business so I ordered a 25# bag of sugar and a pound of yeast and it has been lasting awhile. They work very well together but if I had to choose one I would choose the glut it is more consistant and you can control the legend a little easier than with a diy system.

Oh I also forgot if you get the metricide make sure you order a uv blocking bottle to mix it in light will break it down and make it useless. Also it comes with a little bottle of activator DO NOT USE IT. Only use the stuff from the gallon jug.

Back
Top Bottom