Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2005, 12:52 PM   #11
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSeason
I have a chubby frog that I love. ITs a ground frog that will climb when given the oppertunity. It doesn't vocalize, (at least mine hasn't) and it will bury itself in the moss and be harder to see.
Despite being fairly cryptic, K. pulchra are amongst my favourite frogs....they have some reasonable personality, have great longevity, and are usually easily and inexpensively found.

Quote:
A Tomato Frog is another very nice choice. It's hard to find, but worth it when you do.
Getting more difficult to find, unfortunately, and hitting the $50+ mark quite regularly now.

Quote:
green tree frogs are cheap and cute. but only active at night.
Diurnal treefrogs are rare as hen's teeth, unfortunately.

Quote:
I tend to prefer White's because they get bigger, have better personalities, and are social animals. However, they too are also usually only active at night.
And an excellent choice for a vivarium where you cannot keep a constant high humidity...these frogs do best at 40%-60%. A note of Caerula is that you must watch that they do not become obese, as this particular genera is prone to weight problems in captivity.

Quote:
Avoid Pacman Frogs. these are readily available, but they get HUGE. to the point where they will start accepting baby mice. No tankmate will be safe.
Good advice, but understated even at that.....fully-grown Ceratophrys can easily consume large adult mice....I even have a photo of one swallowing a baby boa constrictor.

www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Old 03-01-2005, 12:56 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
not an expert at all Quarryshark, I just like them alot and try to take care of them the best I know how.

They can be a bit tricky to keep alive, I Hope that my current method is a bit more successful.

The White's Tree frog is by far my favorite frog, They have great personalites, handle children very well, and are very active at night.

As was said before, they will get obesse if given the chance, so care should be taken not to overfeed. a plump frog is cute, but a fat frog is a sad frog. They will stay skinnier when they are younger, but as they reach their adult size, they will start to fatten up quite a bit if not careful.

An interesting note: I hear that the brown coloration is a sign of a happy White's Froggy, green is a Froggy that is maybe not so healthy. However, My Frogs Change color all the time. Although, they usually stay Nice and Brown in the tank and Change to a beautiful Green when taken out of the tank for a number of minutes.

Also, good luck finding a Vet that knows anything about frogs. I sure haven't found one yet.

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Another interesting thing about the Chubby frog is that when it feels threatened or is just generally grumpy, it will fill expand its body with air and literally "blow up" to be quite a bit larger than its normal size.

a great little frog.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:25 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Hara, that is great!!

Keep us updated on inhabitants and plant growth!

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:31 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

for plants,
try maidens hair fern
and a rabbits foot fern. although I think that the rabbits foot likes more to be hanging. You could possiable attach it to the back and let it hang that way. Maidens hair is great for set ups like this.

I know NOTHING about them, or if they would even work out, but what about an Anole? Or Gecko?
Something that will stay pretty small? say less then 4 inches? That would be very cute I think
Old 03-01-2005, 05:51 PM   #16
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Some of the smaller geckos, such as house geckos, would work well in the tank, although they do have the habit of messing up the glass something awful.

www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com