Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2005, 10:40 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Something a little different

I replaced my 30 gallon salt with a 55 gallon over the weekend. That left me with an empty tank and while I was pondering what freshies to put in it, my back started hurting and I decided whatever it was, it would not consist of anything that had water changes....this is what the final result was.

I was thinking of putting a tree frog or two in there but just cannot decide if it is suitable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn4921.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1185   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn4920.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1186  

Old 03-01-2005, 12:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

That IS an interesting idea. I like it! Unfortunately, I don't possess the self control required not to fill an empty aquarium with water and fish.

Live plants, not silk - right? Are you using the original aquarium lid and light? Have you had any problems with condensation forming inside? I think ferns and bromeliads would work nicely in this kind of setup too.

Old 03-01-2005, 01:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I havent tried live plants before. I have only used silk plants, rocks, moss, and plastic driftwood. (easily washible, not dangerous, etc.

My first thought is that you will never see your frogs ever. they will bury themselves down in there good and deep. Tree Frogs like more height in their tanks. So they may be agitated in that tank.

Water is also important. In my old tank, about 1/3 of the "floor" was covered in water. the frogs loved it. I had a waterfall which they loved to sit under, and bubbles, bubbling up from in between the rocks which made a very popular jaquzie. Looking back on it now, It probibly was a bit to much water and a bit to humid, but the frogs sure seemed to like it at the time.

I had moss for a long time, But eventually I found it to be to way to messy and it was the perfect environment for those tiny little flies to have babies in. I eventually switched to cut silk leaves which was soft, and easily cleaned.

Petsmart carries plastic driftwood which looks great and is affordable. My frogs loved climbing all over it. best of all, it wouldnt mold, and wasnt rough on their skin. ( be sure to plug the holes in the log so you don't loose any of your frogs inside.)

Frogs need both humidity and fresh air. I Cover my tank with the ever popular metal screen topper. (I originally used a soft screen velcroed to the top, but my Oldest Tree Frog figured out how to get out of that very quickly.) on top of that I put a large clear plastic bag to help trap the evaporating water, and I leave the back open to allow airflow. I then pump humid air into the tank from a special humidifier made just for amphibians. This insures the tank stays fresh and humid.

My old tank was heated by a small heater in the "pond" this kept things nice and warm all over.

My new tank has an external heating pad which keeps a small cave nice and warm...we will see how that works out.

Let me end by saying that I am no Expert! My Frogs were happy for a year, then they came down with red leg and died. I do not have all the answers, but I am pretty familar with frogs and their personalites, I know what they like, and I know what doesn't work.

My old tank was really pretty, but really hard to keep clean. I should post some pictures soon.

I am trying a differnt approach now, hopefully that works out real well.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:07 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Hara, that's a beautiful arrangement! I love the African violets. Even if it's not suitable for the frogs, it's wonderful to look at!

Old 03-01-2005, 04:41 AM   #5
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
You could get away with a few green tree frogs, but you would need to plant it up with more plants that will occupy space in the top 1/3 of the tank. Also consider some terrestrial toads (which are typically more active and have more in the way of personality).
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Old 03-01-2005, 09:55 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTOFFER
That IS an interesting idea. I like it! Unfortunately, I don't possess the self control required not to fill an empty aquarium with water and fish.

Live plants, not silk - right? Are you using the original aquarium lid and light? Have you had any problems with condensation forming inside? I think ferns and bromeliads would work nicely in this kind of setup too.
My original thought was bromeliads and/or orchids....but I cannot locate any. When they become available, I may redo some things. Yes, it is the original glass lid and lighting. No condensation issues yet, but there is a gap at the back which I have left open. The big challenge is finding plants that wont quickly outgrow the height of the tank.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:56 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis
You could get away with a few green tree frogs, but you would need to plant it up with more plants that will occupy space in the top 1/3 of the tank. Also consider some terrestrial toads (which are typically more active and have more in the way of personality).
There are 4 plants in there that will get tall...most likely in just a couple months or so. Could you give me some suggestions as to the toads?
Old 03-01-2005, 10:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I have a chubby frog that I love. ITs a ground frog that will climb when given the oppertunity. It doesn't vocalize, (at least mine hasn't) and it will bury itself in the moss and be harder to see.

A Tomato Frog is another very nice choice. It's hard to find, but worth it when you do. Its a bright red frog with black lines along its side and a white belly. Its a more active ground frog and will vocalize often. Mine would vocalize with a series of low grumbles when his back was stroked.

green tree frogs are cheap and cute. but only active at night. I tend to prefer White's because they get bigger, have better personalities, and are social animals. However, they too are also usually only active at night. There are many other varieties of tree frog that make very pretty additions to your tank.

Avoid Pacman Frogs. these are readily available, but they get HUGE. to the point where they will start accepting baby mice. No tankmate will be safe.

whatever you do, do not get to many. that was my mistake. Frogs are messy critters and the tank will start getting dirty fast. the more frogs there are, the more you will have to clean. Because Frogs absorb water through their skin, they are very sensitive, and dirty tanks will lead to their demise quickly.

edit: although your plants will get tall, they are not really climbable. I use silk vines bought from a local craft store wraped around a bendable thick wire "stick" bought from a large chain petstore. and suction cupped to the glass. this provides a large stable platform for the frogs to climb and sit in.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:07 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Gee Rocketseason, I think we have found out resident frog expert.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:43 PM   #10
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
My original thought was bromeliads and/or orchids....but I cannot locate any.
Try Wal-Mart....my local Wal-marts all got good-sized shipments of both in this past week.

www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com