Something the media won't cover...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shawmutt

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here's an email I got from a group I belong to, truemajority.org. I usually try to keep this stuff separate from AA, but I believe this is a worthy cause. The chances of the US going to war to liberate these people are slim to none. Here it is:

The Government Won’t Let Us Bring Darfur Witnesses Here

So We Want to Bring the Cameras to Them

The people of Darfur need to tell their stories.

We’ve had some big successes in our campaign to save the genocide victims in Darfur. Most recently, both houses of Congress unanimously passed the resolutions we supported, calling the atrocities in Sudan “genocide” and pressing the Bush administration to take any action needed to stop it. This has really isolated Bush’s position—that this isn’t really genocide requiring immediate action. Instead, he’s using a “go slow” approach with the hope that the Sudanese government will do an about-face and save the millions who are now being starved to death.

To focus the media’s attention on this, and really put the heat on the President, we tried to bring some witnesses from Darfur to the United States as “Refugee Ambassadors,” but the State Department wouldn’t issue them any visas. One employee actually defended the State Department’s position by saying that some of the refugees might be terrorists. If it wasn’t so tragic it would be funny.

Well, if the government won’t let us bring witnesses to the media, we’ll bring the media to the witnesses. Working with our friends at FaithfulAmerica.org, we have created a plan to send a camera crew, complete with a satellite uplink, directly into the refugee camps on the Chad/Sudan border. From there we’d be able to get witnesses, aid workers, and human rights activists directly onto talk shows here in the States. We’d also be able to have local experts appear in the studios, to comment on how our government can stop this.

Now we just need to raise the money to pay for this project. We figure the cost, including crew, equipment, and satellite time, will be about $45,000. If we raise any additional money, we’ll use it to continue pressing the government to do the right thing in other ways, such as an ad campaign. But first we need to get the crew over there.

To help send a camera crew with a satellite uplink to the Darfur refugees, click here and give whatever you can:

http://truemajority.kintera.org/darfurdonation

We are all doing what we can to stop the genocide. TrueMajority founder, Ben Cohen, was even arrested at a protest in front of the Sudanese embassy. Now please do whatever you can.

Thanks for helping,

Andrew Greenblatt,

Online Organizer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is some background on what is going on in Darfur:

Over the last several months, a government-backed Arab militia in Sudan, called the Janjuweed, has been attacking black Africans. The Janjuweed tactics are crude, but effective. They enter a village and use terror to force everyone to leave their homes and crops. Entire populations have fled to distant camps in the middle of desolate areas. These desert camps are now surrounded and controlled by the Janjuweed, and anyone who tries to leave is raped or killed. Unarmed international aid workers are turned away. A total of 370,000 human beings are already dead, or in the late stages of dying, from starvation in these extermination camps. The death toll could reach one million within the next few months.

Time is our greatest enemy. Every day one thousand people are dying in these camps. Currently, starvation is claiming the weakest—70 percent of the dead are children aged five and under. As time goes on, the death toll will rise more quickly. The United States needs to ensure that food aid is brought to the people of Darfur, along with the protection of an international military force. Both houses of Congress have already passed resolutions calling this “genocide”, and have called on the President to act to stop it. The problem is that the Bush administration is unwilling to take the decisive action needed to make sure that the food aid is safely delivered to those who need it most. Instead, they are calling on the corrupt Sudanese government to disarm their allies, the Janjuweed, and allow food aid in. To pressure the Sudanese government, the Bush administration is talking about using sanctions, a process that will take months—long enough to kill everyone currently starving in the camps. That is why it is crucial that President Bush act now.

You can learn more at www.darfurgenocide.org.

No offense intended, but we've got enough stuff going on right now. I would rather not see us get involved anywhere else until we get this cleaned up. We are not the world's police. It's tragic and all, but the threat to us as a nation from this incident is nil. I know that'll tick people off, but I am tired of American Soldiers being killed for backward nations who are not much better off after. Is Bosnia a good place to live now? No. We're busy, let someone else be hero for a change. What...no one else want's to have their country men killed for some backward nation...makes you wonder why we always do.

Sheesh Bearfan, I'm almost speechless at your response.

shawmutt, you're right about the lack of media coverage.. I'd never even heard of Darfur until now. Makes me wonder just how much stuff like this is going on all around the world.

EDIT: Actually I wasn't speechless. I wrote a full page of ranting and then deleted it out of respect for the real topic of this thread.

Charity begins at home. If we don't start paying more attention to the problems we have going on here, we'll eventually end up as one of those "backward nations".

Makes me wonder just how much stuff like this is going on all around the world.
I'm sure it happens all the time, all over the world, and has been for hundreds of years.

I cared a lot more about this sort of thing when I was younger. Now I care more about keeping a roof over my head and my family fed. Sometimes it really ticks me off knowing that my life and the lives of my family could be much better if we internalized more of our nations resources. Don't get me wrong, I don't think we should live like a country of royalty amongst a world of peasants, but I don't think we should feel obligated to help everybody that cries for it.

Back in the late 1700's a group of people took a stand for their beliefs and many of them died because of it. Those people gave birth to one of the greatest nations ever.

I think my reaction was similar to Atari's. Wow. I'm not offended, but I am shocked. So, we are too busy to help out when genocide is taking place, but we're stretched too thin because of an intervention that appears not to have much to do with a "threat to our nation". The only way (IMNSHO) for us to be truly safe in this dangerous world is to be respected, to provide human rights leadership, and to lessen the disparity between poor nations and rich nations. When genocide happens, and the US turns its back, how can we lay any claim to support of human rights, especially with the lack of respect that has been apparent recently?

Yes, we're stretched too thin. Instead of condemning backwards nations, please think about why we're unable to respond to a real moral crisis. Thanks, and sorry if this comes off as too harsh.

I'm going over to truemajority to see what I can do (on a grad student's salary...)

Latest Status:
New Agreement On Darfur To be Signed
http://www.voanews.com/EnglishtoAfrica/article.cfm?objectID=8C6F198F-9CF0-4EFB-8FDEE7C8556E5F6D

The Seceretary of States statement:
Secretary of State Colin Powell On Darfur
http://allafrica.com/stories/200408050673.html

The reverse claim that it has an oil angle:
Darfur crisis has been fabricated by the US for oil reserve: envoy
http://www.sudantribune.com/article.php3?id_article=4567

I think America cares and is trying to do something about this. I think the biggest concern about this is that the longer it goes on the more people that are harmed which makes it an urgent / haste issue.

History has shown that there's no depth to mans cruelty to his fellow man. I find it just as cruel to say "this doesn't concern me, so just let it happen".

The situation could be resolved if the moral and benevolent nations of the world stepped up to the batters box of morality. It's why I high hold France and Germany in such disdain. They cared when it was in their backyard (Bosnia), but not any other part of the world. Thanks for bringing the topic up shawmutt.

wow. you really can't say one thing either way without someone disagreeing. which is to be expected.

So here it goes.

If someone or a group is unable to defend themselves, them big brother needs to step up to the plate.

If we (the USA) need to be the ones to police this country, then we need to be the ones setting policy.

Sorry :(

BrianNY said:
The situation could be resolved if the moral and benevolent nations of the world stepped up to the batters box of morality. It's why I high hold France and Germany in such disdain. They cared when it was in their backyard (Bosnia), but not any other part of the world.

That's because Bosnians are white Europeans while the people of southern Sudan are not. :(

Despite their recent moralistic grandstanding in the World Court and the UN, the former colonial powers of Europe are still oblivious to the mess they left behind in the Third World. Britain and France should be first in line to help in Sudan because THEY dictated the terms of their slipshod withdrawal from their former colonies and THEY created the arbitrary national boundaries that have resulted in four decades of civil wars in Africa.

What's happenong in Darfur is just the latest incarnation of the racial/tribal/religious warfare that has plagued Africa since the sixties. It's happened before in South Africa, Angola, Uganda, Somalia, Nigeria, Zaire, Rwanda, Burundi, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Ethiopia, and Sierra Leone. It's due to a combination of devastating poverty, ages-old ethnic conflicts, and weak/corrupt local governments.

I'm not sure how I would advise the President if it were my job to do so. In a sense, he's walking on eggshells. The idea of American forces invading another Muslim country would not sit well with Arab states that already hate us for being in Saudi Arbia, Iraq, and Afghanistan. He also risks being accused of conducting a 'wag-the-dog-style' operation during an election year. If you recall, Clinton was accused of trying to distract people from the Monica Lewinsky scandal by ordering cruise missile strikes on suspected terrorist targets in Sudan in 1998. Plus, our recent experiences with humanitarian missions have not gone quite as planned. Go rent 'Black Hawk Down' if you don't know what I'm talking about. If we do send troops in there we better not have them parading around with empty weapons like we did in Somalia...what a mistake that was.

One of these days the USA is going to stick their nose in some other countries business and get it knocked off.

I hate to say something like that about this country but we need to take care of business HERE FIRST!

Just my opinion.

Hmmm. Interesting. Then you condone genocide? Some things need to be addressed simply because they're so reprehensible. I'm not talking about an invasion, but I am saying that the US should take the moral high ground by making it the issue it deserves to be in the world body.

As long as we have homeless starving people and high unemployment in this country we should take care of that first.

I do not condone genocide, but I do not believe it is my obligation to be the world's parent. Like I said, why are we the only country that takes the reins on these things?

Oscarbreeder said:
I hate to say something like that about this country but we need to take care of business HERE FIRST!

I agree. Quit sending my FRIENDS to fight wars that do not effect our country. Can people honestly say they would think the death of their friend is justified to take care of some country 99% of America couldn't find on the map, and 90% probably couldn't positivly tell you what continent it resides on. Look at your friends, military or not, and ask that question. My closest friend lays his life on the line daily to protect this country we love, not to police some backwards country. I am not willing to sacrifice persons who will give their life to defend this country to do some actions that will not have any bearing on this one.

Hmmm. Interesting. Then you condone genocide? Some things need to be addressed simply because they're so reprehensible.
Agreed. But who says it always has to be us that addresses such things? Are Americans the only people that feel charity for other countries? Where are all the other civilized countries of the world? Why do we not hear from them when these things become public?

I once saw two guys ready to fight. After the first couple punches, another guy moved in to break it up; he got stabbed. The other two ran. I don't know if they got caught or not and I don't know what happened to the guy who got stabbed. I do know that he prevented them from fighting that night, maybe they found each other later to finish what they started, who knows. I also know that there was a good chance that he may have died to keep them from fighting at that moment. Bottom line, it wasn't any of his business and he paid for making it his business.

Don't get me wrong, I feel bad when I hear about this sort of thing. I don't know exactly how to fix it, but I do know that America can't fix it. These are hatreds and vendettas predating America (especially when the violence is motivated by religious beliefs). Sorry, but it's not our fight. Maybe an Arab/African country would like to step up to the plate?

As long as we have homeless starving people and high unemployment in this country we should take care of that first
You got that right. There are some people out there that say:
Homeless people?...who cares! Until they are homeless.
High unemployment?..they would say, "join the Army"

If the homeless people and the unemployed just hang in there a little longer our government will send enough soldiers out to other countries to fight for their homeless and unemployed. After they die for Life, Liberty, and the American Way, there will jobs for the unemployed, and heck after they get a job they can afford a place to live! Great concept. We should not be there or anywhere else for that matter. We should take care of this country first, and the people that live in it, whether native or foreigners. Why we are sending troops to settle disputes overseas, we have 4 people beating a family to death with baseball bats over a stupid video game. This is what we need to take care of.

I do not condone genocide, but I do not believe it is my obligation to be the world's parent. Like I said, why are we the only country that takes the reins on these things?

A very good point. All of the countries were screaming at the US for "invading" Iraq. Saying some very bad things about this country. But when they captured Sadam Hussein and (According to Bush) took control of the country and started the drive to put it back together, all those countries now want a piece of the action.
Where were they when all of the "other" conflicts were going on? Why wont these "other poor" countries ask them for help? It high time we step back and see what the rest of the world is made of. We are strong, we don't need to prove it to anyone on the face of this earth. They already know.

Agreed. But who says it always has to be us that addresses such things? Are Americans the only people that feel charity for other countries? Where are all the other civilized countries of the world? Why do we not hear from them when these things become public?

See above.

Don't get me wrong, I feel bad when I hear about this sort of thing. I don't know exactly how to fix it, but I do know that America can't fix it. These are hatreds and vendettas predating America (especially when the violence is motivated by religious beliefs). Sorry, but it's not our fight. Maybe an Arab/African country would like to step up to the plate?

Case in point. Israel and Palestine. Read the Bible. That fight has been going on since the beginning of time. We are not going to fix it, and nobody but those two countries are going to be able to fix it. It won't happen in my lifetime I can say that for sure. Both sides of that conflict breed that hatred for one another into their children. I should retract that and say "most". There are some on both sides that believe that killing each other is wrong for any reason and instill that into the sons and daughters that they bear.
I came from a very prejudiced family. My father and Mother both were raised to hate the African American race. I broke away from that, I broke that cycle with myself and my wife. I instilled the same belief into my sons. My whole family is far from what my parents were raised on.

I can go on and on, but all it will do is start more discussion and get angrier and angrier. I said what I believe and agree with others here about certain issues. This is what I got to say. I will not respond further, but I will watch the thread because it is interesting to see how other people feel about this.

Peace.

Mike

Backwards nation? I hope you people are joking when you use this to describe an underdeveloped country. Having different culture does not make a country backwards. Wouldnt the richest country in the world and countries in europe that saw genocide in their backyard not doing anything about this situation be considered backward? We supposedly sent troops to Iraq to give the people freedom. But thats the only country where the people deserve freedom. I guess if we just sit idly by and do nothing about the situation there will be nobody to free. Backwards is not being different. Backwards is thinking its ok to condone genocide because its not your business. Genocide is everybodies business and should be stopped no matter how politically unpopular it is.

I think most here have missed the real point if you're assuming military intervention by the US alone is what's being advocated.

1. If the media has been stifled in it's attempts to make the world aware of this human tragedy, then those who censor are condoning the actions (in a sense).

2. To witness an act of this magnitude and shrug ones shoulders without even a protest is cowardly.

3. All of the conflicts and ills of the world will never be corrected. That is true. However, there are things that can be done to lesson the extent of the suffering. The first of which is a worldwide condemnation of the atrocity.

BrianNY said:
I think most here have missed the real point
I couldn't agree more, but in a different context. The point being missed is the purpose behind this thread, and I for one would be quite pissed by now if I personally had started this topic.

If you guys want this debate then please, out of respect, start your own thread. You don't see anyone arguing in Rev's thread that we should give our $5 to charity instead of to this forum?

SHEESH. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom