Sometimes I have stupid questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea mine were orange flash.
if I had known then what I know now I would have paid more attention to the apiostos...
Fortunately as great as apisto are rams are way more popular and easy to sell...
You can breed the best fish in the world ,but if no one wants them then what?
Kind of why I got the angels along with the hope they are special....
I hate to say , as I am not even really beginning with the angels and apistos yet, but I crave a popular live bearer.
I miss my showa swords...:hide:
And pulling FRY every day!!!!

It helps to feel like people recognize your stuff. I had some multis raised last year and ended up trading them to my professor because it seemed no one wanted them, now I'm doing angels because I'm a sellout too (y) Although seems like suddenly EVERYONE wants multis :confused:

It helps to feel like people recognize your stuff.
It sure doesn't hurt when so many think you got it going on to want what you have specifically...
So many of you members (my friends in hobby) have been a HUGE asset in my ram breeding.
Positive motivation can work wonders even on an old dog...

Not so stoned???
It is Tuesday evening Phil...lol!
I couldn't even find where you got Poppas post(his thread is a jungle!).
While your passing by how much humic acid do you use , how often.
No measurements really.
Just I add till I note coloring(not black tea ,but yellow) and it could be faded,clear water tomorrow or next day.
I can just keep adding within reason??
I am changing water on tanks I use HA in every or every other day.

Who's got monties?! I'm looking for those and nezzies

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ive had monte's for a while now.... Mom keeps em in her 90gl for me.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not so stoned???
It is Tuesday evening Phil...lol!
I couldn't even find where you got Poppas post(his thread is a jungle!).
While your passing by how much humic acid do you use , how often.
No measurements really.
Just I add till I note coloring(not black tea ,but yellow) and it could be faded,clear water tomorrow or next day.
I can just keep adding within reason??
I am changing water on tanks I use HA in every or every other day.

Wow I'm not sure why that even posted here and no not so stoned. The pain has pretty much given way to stiffness, well that's excluding the ginormus bruise on my chest and left shoulder.

I had to play with measurements for the HA, you need to be kind of careful with it so you don't cause a crash. I'm adding 2-5 ml per 10 gallons every water change.

I definitely have not exceeded 5ml per 10g.
Strong stuff!
You don't notice it fading?
I can't explain where it would go(no carbon or chemical media at all).

Ok maybe I haven't been using as much humic acid as I thought.
I checked that I was using my smallest syringe,2ml....
So I haven't hammered any tanks yet....well....
I set up a 20t that I have right next to the 55 ,where they can see each other as I have seen first hand how well breeding fish notice their neighbors.
I added about an inch of rinsed PFS and a couple terra cotta pots and HA.
Tank is pretty yellow but test within 1 point TDS(111/110) of the 55g!
Sneaker male and his girl moved!
Hope this was the right thing to do.
I know there are at least two sets of wigglers/fry in the coco fiber potliner in the 55 but can't see them and don't think the females will let them out...
Really thought I saw one female trying to push ???? back under the pot into the fiber...:confused:
The sneaker has been all over the tank.
It will be interesting to see how long it takes him to color up....
Still slowly lowering the tds in both tanks by making 25-33% waterchanges ...

Not one day after transferring a pair to the 20t ...
WE HAVE EGGS!
99907-albums14434-picture69684.jpg

This is the 'sneaker' male and I hope the right girl?
Kind of thought I got wrong girl last night as the one in the 20 was hiding and being chased HARD??
At that time I saw another female on the sneaker males end of the 55....
I quickly thought I had caught the wrong female and actually made the change in under 1 minute!
Soooo do we think I got the right female????
Would she lay eggs so quickly if she didn't like the male AND
Is this a male (on the left)????
I have seen the red dot at his tale before and was also part of my questionable ID..

Wait CB can you define for me what a sneaker male is?

Congrats on the eggs! Looking forward to seeing you raise them!

Wait CB can you define for me what a sneaker male is?

Congrats on the eggs! Looking forward to seeing you raise them!
a sneaker male is a or the less dominant male in a tank with an alpha male he can't get away from...
Part of their natural defense is to not grow long flowing fins or color up as fast as the alpha.
This male? I believe was just past his sneaking prime and the alpha had recognized him.
Often in nature and while young the sneaker will fool the alpha and he will allow him into the nest where the sneaker either fertilizes or eats the other couples eggs.
Often a female will be the first to recognize him first....

Yes that is definitely a sneaker and if you have what look to be viable egg, then I would say you got the right female

Congrats!!! Are these your only apistos?
These are my only species of apisto now.
I got 6 A.hongslio in total and these are 2 I pulled out of the 55g yesterday.

Yes that is definitely a sneaker and if you have what look to be viable egg, then I would say you got the right female

Thanks Gillie!
The other tank is so hard to see anything in...
I know it should pay off to make them happy ,but...
I am(AM) being very patient and methodical with my actions and crazy thoughts about these guys.

My LFS got these in as a special order for someone who never picked them up .
I grabbed them thinking they were less common??
I am interested in other species also...
My LFS just called tonight with 6 beckfordi pencil fish...
Are these what I want for dithers in the 55??

OK finally saw all three females in the 55 with the alpha male.
I really was concerned that I pulled wrong female still and that she was hiding in the corner or wherever....
Not the case!
2 in the coco pot liner,at least one set of eggs I see that may become wigglers today ,and the third female in a half pot just infront of the other 2 girls spot with eggs on the roof of the pot!
Sooo
all in all I have 3 sets of Apisto hongslio eggs now!!:dance:

The breeder in me really wants to pull fry /eggs but being these fish are young and small I would rather they develop a strong parenting skills then get a couple of fry(hope I don't regret this??)!

Woohoo, lucky you! I'm still waiting for my Panduros do get going... I have them in a 10gal, low ph, lots of IAL, and TC pots..... I've heard they can be picky about mates?

What did you condition yours on, food wise?

Since you have 3 spawns, I personally would take one of them..... But you do have a point.....

Woohoo, lucky you! I'm still waiting for my Panduros do get going... I have them in a 10gal, low ph, lots of IAL, and TC pots..... I've heard they can be picky about mates?

What did you condition yours on, food wise?

Since you have 3 spawns, I personally would take one of them..... But you do have a point.....

When I had a pair of panduro in a 10 they didn't even pay much attention to each other. I moved them to a 20l and they were spawning within a couple days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I offer a LARGE variety of foods.
Frozen; Brine,mysis,bloodworms and cyclops.
Flake; Kens bloodworm,earthworm,and blackworm.
NLS grow(small sinking).

They seem like my GBR in that they may spit it out but eventually come back to it ,all food is gone when come home from work...

I feed my breeders (all) like fry in that I will feed them as much as they can eat daily...Multiple feedings....

Last edited by a moderator:
So you think they need more space? It just a change of scenery?

I actually do have a 20long that's running empty, was going to have an endler breeding tank, but that didn't work, so it's empty.....

Back
Top Bottom