Sometimes I have stupid questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coralbandit

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all!
I started this thread in Aquaria Off-Topic to kind of be able to talk about ANYTHING fish/aquarium related.
Sometimes I have stupid questions,I'll save my first for later...
But sometimes I just wonder about something that a good answer will be the decision maker for me to pursue or not...
I might just even want to say/share what I saw at my LFS..

Today my LFS had "red zebra" angels from 'cichlid exchange ' which they say is 'wet spot'?
Anyone know about 'red zebra' angels???

Next I asked what was hot to breed (beside my rams!!) and the owner said Tang cichlids!
He had some Tangs I have kept before again from 'cichlid exchange'.
I have heard the shellie people say they are hard to find is this becoming more true of other Tangs??

Kind of looking to breed something else that is in demand.
What do you guys think needs to be bred?

Scarlet badis and other types of badis... It's ridiculous trying to find info about badis species... I have only seen rose
Badis for sale twice in my life.. And I have only found one page about them... More people deserve to know about Dario Dario and the badis family... Great nano fish that are little known but beautiful... Recently I have seen lots of threads and more and more people are getting into these fish... I think they would be an exccelent choice for you... I believe the red zebra angel is probably a different name for some type of angel... Might be a youth phenotype like the "bumblebee pinoy" angelfish that is actually a young color morph.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My LFS owner also said angels are hot $.
I did my best not to throw up...:nono:
I may find an interesting strain to work on....

So first in a long line of stupid questions and everyone DON'T laugh you butt off as this may help some one who actually needs the info someda..:facepalm:

My water is average ,back when I kept Tang cichlids I had hard well water(they were the obvious choice):whistle:
but now with average water I would PROBABLY need to buff up(the water you fools ,as I am in peak condition myself) and wondered(this is the stupid part??)
if I could use RO waste water!!???:thanks::thanks::thanks:

I agree with badis as being popular. Right now nano tanks are popular so lots of nano fish are popular. Examples: badis, peacock gudgeons, celestial Pearl danios. Daisy rice fish are cool! They are supposed to be easy to breed, but still uncommon. Look up oryzias woworae on the internet

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

My LFS owner also said angels are hot $.

I did my best not to throw up...:nono:

I may find an interesting strain to work on....

So first in a long line of stupid questions and everyone DON'T laugh you butt off as this may help some one who actually needs the info someda..:facepalm:

My water is average ,back when I kept Tang cichlids I had hard well water(they were the obvious choice):whistle:

but now with average water I would PROBABLY need to buff up(the water you fools ,as I am in peak condition myself) and wondered(this is the stupid part??)

if I could use RO waste water!!???:thanks::thanks::thanks:

I'm keeping my tangs in soft water but high ph and they are still breeding like crazy, it just takes the perfect acclimation ?

Sent via echolocation

I agree with the nano fish comment. Pygmy or habrosus cories would be great.

Would love to be able to breed these little guys. Not easy to find and easily over $10 each!

The LFS actually had 3 pair of peacock gudgeons and always has pretty good selection of nanos.
As much as we like them(was going to get 2 pair of the PG) he said the nano fish are not BIG sellers or high priced.
He knows I want to breed fish that will pay decent for everyone(me,him,customer)..
I was all phsyched and stared at the PG for some time,SPECIFICALLY asked him about them....
I asked about the EBA I like so much also and he said not much interest.
Now one must take into consideration he is one of the more expensive fish places as there are pet whatever all over the place here(3 petcos,5 petsmarts and other smaller locals).

What about waste water from RO for shrimp??
I have heard of this I believe?

Dwarf cichlids are very popular at my lfs. Know what's even more popular??corys and plecos. Dude. You want a challenge that will payback and than some.. zebra and leopard frog plecos, Lazer corys.. true apisto viejita. Think about the target market, 40 gal and less..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

^^Dude^^
Thought to myself that I need to tear into my 180 and pull dem orange laser cories out!!
At least six in there now,maybe more...
The LFS had Apisto Hongslio today!!
All claimed already!
Nice to know many fish at my LFS are coming from Wetspot!

Challenge yourself, breed one of the smaller botias, and kill the market for clown loaches dead!

You got me wrong bro?
I am already challenged!:ROFLMAO:
I would like to do something I stood an easy chance of getting right!
Really am pretty frustrated with the rams...

This isn't all about fish for me to breed...

What about using the ro waste water to buff water??

How about some pics of my wet pet??

99907-albums14434-picture69538.jpg

99907-albums14434-picture69535.jpg

I've wondered the same about RO water waste. Water by me is so expensive I'd have to be able to use the waste in order to ever justify getting an RO system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Diggin the dumb questions...

Will have to listen to anyone with science experience here for the info for the waste water question. No comprende (yet) there.

What about Sulawasi Cardinal Shrimp? Maybe use the waste water for the hard water requirements/necessary water for them. (I don't know if that is appropriate use for it)

SHRIMP!!
Something else I have had zero success with!
They interest me...
I did keep CPO but put 5 in a specV:facepalm::eek:
they seemed fine for first month or so,but all gone with 6 months.
My bad on small tank IMO...

Shrimp could be a viable product for me...
Kind of a 2 for 1 if I got to use the ro waste...(y)

I got to chase down Andy on the red zebra angels...

I really thought I read an article on using ro waste for shrimp tanks?
It made complete sense to me with the high amount of minerals and all...
I will never be able to use all my waste(I make a lot of ro!!!) but it sure wouldn't hurt to just put some to use...

CPO's were an investment that I wasted my money on 4 times. They live for a couple months then go kaput. Just not worth the money. Messed up genetics, shipped in from Asia, kinda like GBR's (not Coralbandits! (y) ) but worse. Not a huge market for them, but enough to make some money. Definitely won't be trying them for a while.

As for shrimp, I use dechlorinated tap water. They breed and live like there's no tomorrow. Sure, for you guys it might be worth going into all this special water for more sensitive shrimp, but not in my book. I like to keep it simple.

CPO's were an investment that I wasted my money on 4 times. They live for a couple months then go kaput. Just not worth the money. Messed up genetics, shipped in from Asia, kinda like GBR's (not Coralbandits! (y) ) but worse. Not a huge market for them, but enough to make some money. Definitely won't be trying them for a while.

As for shrimp, I use dechlorinated tap water. They breed and live like there's no tomorrow. Sure, for you guys it might be worth going into all this special water for more sensitive shrimp, but not in my book. I like to keep it simple.

I held off venturing away from Neos for a long time because of everything I read about sensitivity, special water, etc for other types of shrimp. I found a breeder on ebay with good quality CRS kept in a low 7-ish pH, which was my big concern with water here at home. There are probably some really high end shrimp that do need more particular water conditions. I really think important factors with shrimp are an established tank and consistent water quality.

You want to look for new popular shrimp not readily available. Couple years ago Black King Kong (Crystal shrimp Caridina) were thousands of dollars for certain breeders. Now still valuable but prices still high for a little shrimp with comparable alternatives (like black Neos).

Look for highly desirable shrimp, not commonly bred, variety above common grades thus better value to you the breeder which sell for $10 or more. Sulawesi is the hot topic for critters, snails, shrimp and fish.

Frankly you could still make money with high quality Reds - Neos selling for 2.50 for quantity, to $3. each because they can breed like rabbits when you have the sweet spot. Local guy around here in Boulder keeps a tank in his kitchen (I think he said tall 29G) and has 300 + shrimp in it and feeds them his salad scraps including fruits and veggies peels and all (eats organic) and rice leftovers. Sells moss by the globs and shrimp by the dozens just for fun and makes enough money to pay for all his large aquatic hobby cost with out trying.

Went 'old school' today.
Fish out fish in!
Traded freshwater fish for marine!!
Rams out and two ruby red dragonettes in!
Hopefully a pair and more important does well with my older female mandarin in the 120.
99907-albums14434-picture69574.jpg

This them dripping...

And finally in the 'old school' spirit I said my favorite thing to say when picking fish......
ALL OF THEM!
Came home with 10 of 'those red fin zebra' angels that wetspot had listed last week(maybe still this week)??
99907-albums14434-picture69576.jpg

99907-albums14434-picture69575.jpg

My LFS owner say the wetspot guy (Mike?)is very hard core and reliable...
Poppa...Andy...:whistle:
What do I have here???:confused:

The color looks much more 'natural' in person and I know my LFS has not been feeding them color enhancing food for the last week or so..
Without real good or bad info I figured I would give them a shot.
GBR out of 55g...
10 red finned zebra angels in.
They are still young and small( quarter size body ..)
Better shot of wet pet...
99907-albums14434-picture69531.jpg

Back
Top Bottom