SOOOOO i scored big time on craigslist.... check out what i got

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well its 65watts per compact tube, so that's 130 watts of electricity.. its deff a lot of electricity lol if I use both lights.. The fixture has 3 plugs, 2 for each compact tube, and 1 for a LED night light, but its only 2 leds and 1 is dead. So I don't use that.. ATM im not using the 2nd compact light.. The coral one.. Its a 420nm Actinic and 460nm actinic light.. The other compact which I am using is a 6700k and 10k.. 65 watts isn't too bad

My 30g has 2xT5's NOx they are 21w each that's 42 watts (one of the lesser light tanks)

The 27g Hex has 2xT5 NO at 14w each and 2xT8's at 17w each, that's 62 watts

The 55g has 4 T5NO for 28 watts each, so it has 112watts.

The 10g is using a like 5watt LED light and a 14 watt flourscent bulb.

and my 2 2.6's are using LED probly 2 watts, and the 5.5 is using a 15 watt light

All together I have a combined total of 371 watts of lighting running in my house.. I have no idea how much that raises the electricity bill lol... Not to mention my computer is running 4-5 hours a day and its using around 450 watts of power.

Anyway, so the light I found out its a Current USA Orbit fixture with 4 Sunpac Bulbs.. Aparently these aren't T5's they look like them but they are called Compact Florescent bulb's. The light is discontinued all Current USA sells now are LED's.. (I cant afford LED fixtures and this light was free with the tank so why not use it ? )

So does anyone know how high a lighting this thing is ? Is it basically comparable to T5HO'S or is it brighter then those ? All I know is its 2-3x brighter then my t5NO. Looking at the tubes the daylight/10k bulb hasn't been used much its still bright white no dark edges, and the Actinic bulbs are darker and have dark ends.. So I don't think the guy who sold this to me ever used all 4 lights on it.. I doubt he replaced the bulbs either.. This thing is probably from like 2008 or something.

My question is can plants Utilize the 420-460nm actinic lights ? What about the 10k. I know the 6700k is the best. I found replacement tubes, the options are either another 6700-10k combo for 2x6700 and 2x10k.. Or a duel 6700k, for 3x6700 and 1 10k.. I cant afford to replace both lamps.

Oh turns out all the junk he gave me its worthless.. 2 of the Powerheads are dead. One of them works but its noisy and pushes WAYY too much water, its like a sunami in the tank.. The 4th one is noisy too.. The Marine land Emperor 280 filter he gave me.. is NOISY omg.. sounds like a garbage disposal.. I cleaned it up cleaner the impellor tried moving the arm that goes in the tank and it wont stop... The 3 bubble maker pumps are all really noisy.. 1 of the 150 watt heaters doesn't work.. The other 2 work just fine though.

So Im just going to throw all that stuff away. I already bought a new filter.. I don't like Hang on back filters anymore.. All of them are too noisy for a bedroom fish tank, I actually really really love the Top Fin Internal filters.. They came with my 2 2.6g square glass betta tanks.. The 10g version and they are SUUUUPER quiet.. like I have to put my ear next to the glass to hear them.. I bought a 20g one for my 10g bowfront and it too is dead quiet.. So I bought the 40g version for this pentagon... Its absolutetly silent... And it acts as a power head, or a wave maker or aeration by pointing the spray bar down above the water line... Its got 3 modes of filtration too.. One is the sponge media, then the carbon inside it.. and its got a big chamber for those white circular stones for Bacteria...

I tested it out and it deff moves some water and I put lots of food in the tank to watch and its got strong suction for waste.. So yea.. eventually im going to replace ALL my noisy HOB's for these filters.

I will.. lol They are just babies anyway.. Im sure a 2 inch fish doesn't need 55-75 gallon rectangle tank... Heck breeders keep 5-7 adult sized discus in 20 gallon tanks...

Discus hans have you seen his shop ? All his discus he sells Do you think he puts them in 55-75g tanks when he grows them out ? He packs then in crammed 20-30g tanks.. and it takes a year for them to grow to adult size.. So im sure 3 will be fine in a 44g pentagon.

Babies or not, they do require many things that it sounds like you're just not willing to commit to or are trying to re-write the book of Discus on. And fwiw, I know of NO breeder that keeps 5-7 adults in a 20g. Since you know who they are, why don't you share for the rest of us ??

As far as Discus Hans goes, he's got 30 more years of keeping, breeding, raising, and selling than you do. And that's not even bringing up the NUMEROUS awards he holds under his belt. I communicate with him on other social sites and he's quite fond of the advice and knowledge I share with Discus noob's.

As for his Discus that he sells, some of them do go into 55-75 gallon tanks. Not all, but some. But let's also bring up the fact that they're only in his facility on average of 2-4 weeks and in that time he does more WC's than you can imagine. Also, it honestly does take about a 10-14 months to grow out a Discus so no points on creativity there.

As for the tank and everything you got with it. It's only 30" at it's widest point which is about 18" shorter than the minimum recommended length. Something Discus really need to reduce stress (along with being in groups of 5 or more) is lateral room for movement, so I'm sure they won't be fine. It's the very difference between surviving and thriving.

Now with all the other stuff that came with the tank, it's very clear that this was a SW setup from the previous owner. The lights and power heads are a dead giveaway. The auto feeder is junk. They always have a high failure rate and are better off as a paper weight.

Do the Discus a favor and leave them in the 55. They're much better off there. Do yourself (and them) a favor and spend your money on two more instead of new stuff. Because in post #4, all this stuff was great and in #22, it turned into "this guy gave me junk and I'm replacing it all".

So to brink it back to your original question of do I think you made out good, for the equipment value to money spent, kind of but not really. On your plans to use it for a Discus tank, big fat zero. Ideas to replace equipment instead of creating a better, less stressful environment for the fish, another big fat zero. So overall, (1-10 scale, 1=poor-10=great) I'd have to give it a 2, maybe 2.5. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Is the new discus eating yet?

Hes still In my 27g hexagon by himself as the others were all over him and he was sick when I got him from petco so I wanted to keep him isolated.. Yes hes eating now.. he doesn't like flakes. or frozen bloodworm.. but he loves dried blood worms i raised the temps from 83-84 to 86 and i noticed a day or so after he started eating better and not being so finicky lol.. I saw him poop multiple times and its normal looking..

You know Treeman I wrote this long thing about how much youre pissing me off telling me what to do in every thread I make just about.. Its my money ok ? Ill do what I want with my fish.. And giving me a 2 on a $100 deal for a tank and light fixture like this.. haha go find me a better deal bro

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I'd like to get thru this with no misunderstandings. So please correct me if I'm wrong.

You came here with no knowledge of Discus seeking advice, to which I willfully and generously shared my 10 years of research, trial and error, hard work and knowledge. Only for you to basically throw everything back in my face and tell me you're gonna do it your way and they'll be fine. Ok fine.

Now we get to this thread of YOU seeking OPINIONS OF YOUR PEERS and intentions with this tank. Again, I gave you extensive feedback since you self admittedly had no knowledge or clue of what you acquired.

So if you could explain to me your rationale about being upset with me for supplying you with what you asked for, it would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom