Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-05-2005, 02:56 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to dr_girlfriend
oh but wait, thats made in China. ****!!!

We weep for the bird's cry, but not for the blood of a fish. Blessed are those who have voice.

Pinky: "What are those Brain?" (pointing to a group of people protesting)
Brain: "People without jobs Pinky."

N. California aquarium maintenance, scuba certification, and boat services.

Need computer services in N. California? Click here!
Old 04-05-2005, 04:27 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh yeah? Petrol in Australia is AU$1 per litre

Old 04-05-2005, 08:08 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
You want to stop using so much oil?

1. Drive less

2. Realize that you too can survive without an SUV

3. Stop buying so much stuff!!! Every single thing, from the "needed" cellphone to all the "needed" toys--all the wants that we "need" take energy to make. And where do you think all that energy comes from?

How do you think plastic is made?
Old 04-05-2005, 08:43 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
It still amazes me, that no matter how many times these emails get circulated, people still believe them...

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/saudigas.asp

One of these day's I'll learn to check things out. BEFORE posting them.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 04-05-2005, 08:51 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Shose companies that supposedly dont get gas from the middle east. Where do they get it from? My understanding that the domestic oil production is very limited and I doubt there is a gas company that is 100% domestic.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:42 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
Shose companies that supposedly dont get gas from the middle east. Where do they get it from? My understanding that the domestic oil production is very limited and I doubt there is a gas company that is 100% domestic.
Read the snopes article above. (scroll down PAST the copy of the email. There is a TON of legitimate information on that article that explains things quite clearly.

Shawmut: all I have to say is, *DING!* (as in I agree)

Justmy2cents: My learning experience was after I blasted a "donation" email to my entire college campus (including some printers and accounts no-one was supposed to know existed) just to find out 2 minutes after the mass mailing finished, I received a "Retratction" in my email from the person I got the original email from... Since then.. My basic rule of thumb... don't believe anything you get in email if it doesn't link back to legitimate news sites with informaiton I can verify myself. It's actualy become a bit of a pet peve of mine. Any time I get one of these things at work I try and reply with the facts as quickly as possible to stop the mass forwarding I know is going on!
Old 04-05-2005, 11:14 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Quote:
Any time I get one of these things at work I try and reply with the facts as quickly as possible to stop the mass forwarding I know is going on!
I do the same and try real hard to not to be sarcastic in my reply (quit spamming me!!!). I used to work with a guy who had a form letter saved for replies to such emails.

The gas one has made it's rounds several times. But you can't always trust snopes either. They've been wrong on more than one occasion.

I may be mistaken, but I think we get most of our imported oil from Venezuela. There was a big stink about us supporting/not supporting one of their political figures and they were going to slow down exported oil to us. I remember reading something about that in the last 6 months or so.

As far as I'm concerned, domestic oil should be stockpiled and nothing else. We import while the funds exist to do so and store our own for a rainy day (and by rainy day I mean no ability to import from outside sources). Another way of saying it; Don't get high on your own supply. - Frank Lopez in Scarface.

As far as India tech support...

We use Dell for our computing platform. Their tech support was all in India. Then businesses said "We can't understand a word they're saying." And thus customer service was at an appalling level. The businesses decided to start migrating to other platforms and informed Dell of their intentions. Dell decided to open callcenters in Canada and Idaho (and maybe one other state but I can't remember where) to take care of businesses. Although the masses of non-business Dell owners still have to call India for help.

Why call India? Because they can pay an Indian guy $3 an hour to read from a script on a screen instead of paying a native English speaker $15-20 an hour to do the same.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:27 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just a side note: BP and Amoco are a merged company now.

PS. Who has the highest gas prices? I know its not here, but 2.19 a gallon is horrible!!
Old 04-05-2005, 11:38 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

we're pushing 2.25-2.35 a gallon depending on what station/neighborhood your in.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:37 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
Just my 2 cents on gas right now.

Just so everyone knows, gas is at approx $58/barrel right now. Last week it went up approx $1.50/barrel, which caused gas to jump approx $0.30 (in my area - Ohio)!!

So why did it jump? Goldman Sachs published a report that said that they are expecting an oil "superspike period", and it will peak out at $104/barrel!! Other companies have said it's not true, however this is what's causing the currently high prices.

-brent

Tags
gas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com