Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2005, 01:42 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The real question is what's going to happen to the Middle East once the U.S. is no longer dependent on their oil?

Gee, I'd just hate to see that entire region wither and die...

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 04-08-2005, 02:46 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Monarch
Have you seen the Mercedes concept car that runs on hydrogen? Hydrogen is readily abundant, cheap, and the only emissions would be water. Is that what you're talking about, deli?
They're not the only ones. Unfortunately, I'd have to travel too far to fill up...
Clicky

Quote:
I'm not sure what to say to that. My derision for that area of the world comes from zealots and their leaders and not from the general population.

Old 04-08-2005, 05:34 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sadly enough, solar power really hasn't lived up to its high expectations. Despite much R&D, photovoltaic cell technology just hasn't reached the point where solar powered cars can become an economically feasible reality.
Electric cars take a long time to charge up, have short cruising range, and not enough power to satisfy the typical driver.

That leaves gasoline/electric hybrid vehicles that charge use regenerative braking to charge up their batteries as you coast downhill, or brake. These vehicles are the most exciting and promising things to come down the pike. Hopefully, as they gain popularity, their prices will drop.

Other alternatives include hydrogen fuel cell, natural gas, and ethanol-driven engines. Problem is, there is no refueling infrastructure in place for these vehicles, and it is very unlikely that any company would have the money or desire to invest so heavily in such a risky venture. Hydrogen is highly explosive (remember reading about the Hindenburg air ship disaster?), and would require a trained technician at every pump. There are many technological, political, and economic hurdles that would have to be overcome. If any of these alternative fuels are to ever become popular, it's clear that the govt will have to play a major role - at, or above the level of its involvement in the atomic bomb Manhattan Project, or the Apollo Space Program.

I don't think that we will ever run out of fossil fuels - demand will continue to drive the development of better (and more expensive) extraction technologies. Economically, this is unsustainable. That's why our nation needs an energy policy that can provide alternative fuel technology with the big push it needs during its infancy.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:39 PM   #74
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
We are not the only consumers of oil. If we should ever become self sustaning ( i highly doubt that will ever happen) other countries like China will just pickup their use and demand.

If we are still the biggest users of oil I suspect in the next 5 years we will NOT be the biggest.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:08 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what to say to that. My derision for that area of the world comes from zealots and their leaders and not from the general population.
That's true I guess. The wealthy oil barons would hardly suffer at all. It would be the other 99.9% of the population that's living in poverty that would be devastated.

It would be nice to see the headline "WAR BREAKS OUT IN THE MIDDLE EAST" move from headline to footnote, however.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 04-08-2005, 06:12 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTOFFER
I don't think that we will ever run out of fossil fuels - demand will continue to drive the development of better (and more expensive) extraction technologies. Economically, this is unsustainable. That's why our nation needs an energy policy that can provide alternative fuel technology with the big push it needs during its infancy.
We'll never run out of oil; the price will just be driven to the point where it becomes impractical for the average person to use.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Old 04-08-2005, 08:26 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think Hydrogen fuel cells are the answer. They just aneed a "reason" to make them cheap enough. They had them for the moon landing why not now . Can anyone say "Big Oil "

Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?
I think so Brain, but there's still a bug in there from last time.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:22 PM   #78
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Where am I gonna fuel up my hydrogen fuel cell car? Thats why there is no big push. Chicken before the egg. I mentioned this at least one page back.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:27 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Freak

Henry Ford did not have gas stations set up everywhere when he started mass producing cars and trucks. It has to start somewhere. It would not take too much effort to get hydrogen to the local stations....just dangerous

Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?
I think so Brain, but there's still a bug in there from last time.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:19 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
Where am I gonna fuel up my hydrogen fuel cell car? Thats why there is no big push. Chicken before the egg. I mentioned this at least one page back.
I already answered this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deli_conker
They're not the only ones. Unfortunately, I'd have to travel too far to fill up...
Clicky
(you'll have to go back to the original post to click the link. I'm too lazy to repeat it)

Tags
gas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com