Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaBuddyHuddie

Oh okay. Well your "research" cannot compete with my experience. I have owned celestial pearl danios and every specimen that has been in my possession has been just as active as a zebra danio. Neons are active but I'm curious to know where you've gotten your information to justify them being unsuitable for a 10 gallon aquarium. Neons are one of the most recommended fish for 10 gallon tanks if you do a little "research". Also, when neons are compared to other tetra species such as the blood fin or black skirt, you can clearly see they do not swim or dart nearly as much as their cousins. Reaching a size of 2 inches is VERY rare. If a fish less than 2 inches is not suitable for a 10 gallon tank then would you like to tell me what is? Not many other options.
If you have owned celestial pearl danios you would know that they aren't nearly as active as all other danios. I have gotten my information from the Internet, people on here and personal experience, as well as the local stores around me. Neon tetras are very tight schoolers, and are too active for a ten gallon. I have 8, a mixture of cardinals and tetras in a 30g and they're zipping everywhere. I would NEVER put them in anything less. It doesn't all count on size you know. The minimum tank size for them is 15-20 gallons. Ask around, many will say they are not suitable for a ten gallon. OP: sorry about this. But they are not suitable for a ten. There are lots of other fish which are a good fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predfan27

I have 9 CPDs in my 10g currently and for about half a year now. Definitely not true schooling fish and really not that active. They hide a lot. Great fish for small aquariums.

Good rule of thumb to generalize fish by broad name (all Danios act the same, etc) but it isn't a 10 out of 10 correlation.

Personally if I were you, I'd make a fancy Shell Dwelling Cichlid tank. Be a change of pace from your planted 75, interesting behavior, Cichlids always have great personality, and definitely very doable.
Thank you! They are truly great fish for a ten gallon. I wasn't trying to argue btw I was letting you know that neons aren't the most suitable fish for a ten gallon.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

What about a species only crawfish tank?

Old 12-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra1990
What about a species only crawfish tank?
I would help but I've never had experience with crawfish! they could look into shrimp.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

It's ok I have actually never owned any of those fish. I have previously only owned tiger oscars and arwanas. So a minor or heated discussion is ok with me. Besides its all friendly and it's good to see both sides, always is.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NexVobis
It's ok I have actually never owned any of those fish. I have previously only owned tiger oscars and arwanas. So a minor or heated discussion is ok with me. Besides its all friendly and it's good to see both sides, always is.
Once again very sorry!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #16
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I would not hesitate to put neons in a 10 gallon tank. I have kept them for years and years in many, different sized tanks.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How about a Scarlet Gem Badis species tank? 1 male and 3 females perhaps?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com