Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
NexVobis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 167
Spare 10g

I have a spare 10gal tank. Idk what to do with it stock wise as its very small. Nano reef or a planted live bearer tank? Suggestions? Currently running a 75g tall planted discus tank (community tank)
__________________

__________________
NexVobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
YaBuddyHuddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 313
I would get a VERY fancy betta. Splurge and get an expensive show grade one. If you can afford it haha. If not you can usually find a gem at your LFS(s). Just whatever appeals to your eye. Along with him I'd get maybe 6-8 neon tetras. Plant it to the furthest extent that your lighting and budget/funds will allow.
__________________

__________________
YaBuddyHuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Samzter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 3,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaBuddyHuddie
I would get a VERY fancy betta. Splurge and get an expensive show grade one. If you can afford it haha. If not you can usually find a gem at your LFS(s). Just whatever appeals to your eye. Along with him I'd get maybe 6-8 neon tetras. Plant it to the furthest extent that your lighting and budget/funds will allow.
I wouldn't get neons. Too active for a 10g. Look into ember tetras, chilli rasboras or galaxy rasboras.
__________________
Samzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
YaBuddyHuddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzter View Post

I wouldn't get neons. Too active for a 10g. Look into ember tetras, chilli rasboras or galaxy rasboras.
"galaxy rasboras" are actually celestial pearl danios. All danios are notorious for being extremely energetic and darting everywhere. Given they only obtain a max size of about 1 inch. Still, I've had neons in smaller tanks like this many times and they've always thrived. Agree to disagree.
__________________
YaBuddyHuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
NexVobis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 167
Hmm interesting. Well that's two for a planted fw tank. I think I will do that.
__________________
NexVobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
YaBuddyHuddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexVobis View Post
Hmm interesting. Well that's two for a planted fw tank. I think I will do that.
I've never even had SW. But from what I understand it's very expensive and hard to maintain. Also very rewarding though I guess.
__________________
YaBuddyHuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Samzter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 3,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaBuddyHuddie

"galaxy rasboras" are actually celestial pearl danios. All danios are notorious for being extremely energetic and darting everywhere. Given they only obtain a max size of about 1 inch. Still, I've had neons in smaller tanks like this many times and they've always thrived. Agree to disagree.
Actually just been looking up celestial pearl danios and it says they aren't very active and they aren't a true schooling fish. There's a exception to these danios. They are not that active. Most danios are active but with some research you would know that these are not like other danios in the amount of activeness. Funny you should say this about danios since most tetras are labelled very active.
__________________
Samzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
YaBuddyHuddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzter View Post

Actually just been looking up celestial pearl danios and it says they aren't very active and they aren't a true schooling fish. There's a exception to these danios. They are not that active. Most danios are active but with some research you would know that these are not like other danios in the amount of activeness. Funny you should say this about danios since most tetras are labelled very active.
Oh okay. Well your "research" cannot compete with my experience. I have owned celestial pearl danios and every specimen that has been in my possession has been just as active as a zebra danio. Neons are active but I'm curious to know where you've gotten your information to justify them being unsuitable for a 10 gallon aquarium. Neons are one of the most recommended fish for 10 gallon tanks if you do a little "research". Also, when neons are compared to other tetra species such as the blood fin or black skirt, you can clearly see they do not swim or dart nearly as much as their cousins. Reaching a size of 2 inches is VERY rare. If a fish less than 2 inches is not suitable for a 10 gallon tank then would you like to tell me what is? Not many other options.

I will say though that I have had CPD's for only a few weeks.
__________________
YaBuddyHuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aquatic_Adam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzter View Post

Actually just been looking up celestial pearl danios and it says they aren't very active and they aren't a true schooling fish. There's a exception to these danios. They are not that active. Most danios are active but with some research you would know that these are not like other danios in the amount of activeness. Funny you should say this about danios since most tetras are labelled very active.
I have 9 CPDs in my 10g currently and for about half a year now. Definitely not true schooling fish and really not that active. They hide a lot. Great fish for small aquariums.

Good rule of thumb to generalize fish by broad name (all Danios act the same, etc) but it isn't a 10 out of 10 correlation.

Personally if I were you, I'd make a fancy Shell Dwelling Cichlid tank. Be a change of pace from your planted 75, interesting behavior, Cichlids always have great personality, and definitely very doable.
__________________
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left."
Aquatic_Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aquatic_Adam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,948
Another great thing you can do in a 10, along the lines of YaBuddyHuddie's show grade Betta tank, you could do a show grade Shrimp tank. Shrimp can be an interesting and challenging task, but they are wonderful to keep. I only have a 5.5g with RCS currently



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1486328378.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	135085
__________________

__________________
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left."
Aquatic_Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.