Spare 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NexVobis

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a spare 10gal tank. Idk what to do with it stock wise as its very small. Nano reef or a planted live bearer tank? Suggestions? Currently running a 75g tall planted discus tank (community tank)

I would get a VERY fancy betta. Splurge and get an expensive show grade one. If you can afford it haha. If not you can usually find a gem at your LFS(s). Just whatever appeals to your eye. Along with him I'd get maybe 6-8 neon tetras. Plant it to the furthest extent that your lighting and budget/funds will allow.

YaBuddyHuddie said:
I would get a VERY fancy betta. Splurge and get an expensive show grade one. If you can afford it haha. If not you can usually find a gem at your LFS(s). Just whatever appeals to your eye. Along with him I'd get maybe 6-8 neon tetras. Plant it to the furthest extent that your lighting and budget/funds will allow.

I wouldn't get neons. Too active for a 10g. Look into ember tetras, chilli rasboras or galaxy rasboras.

I wouldn't get neons. Too active for a 10g. Look into ember tetras, chilli rasboras or galaxy rasboras.

"galaxy rasboras" are actually celestial pearl danios. All danios are notorious for being extremely energetic and darting everywhere. Given they only obtain a max size of about 1 inch. Still, I've had neons in smaller tanks like this many times and they've always thrived. Agree to disagree.

Hmm interesting. Well that's two for a planted fw tank. I think I will do that.

Hmm interesting. Well that's two for a planted fw tank. I think I will do that.

I've never even had SW. But from what I understand it's very expensive and hard to maintain. Also very rewarding though I guess.

YaBuddyHuddie said:
"galaxy rasboras" are actually celestial pearl danios. All danios are notorious for being extremely energetic and darting everywhere. Given they only obtain a max size of about 1 inch. Still, I've had neons in smaller tanks like this many times and they've always thrived. Agree to disagree.

Actually just been looking up celestial pearl danios and it says they aren't very active and they aren't a true schooling fish. There's a exception to these danios. They are not that active. Most danios are active but with some research you would know that these are not like other danios in the amount of activeness. Funny you should say this about danios since most tetras are labelled very active.

Actually just been looking up celestial pearl danios and it says they aren't very active and they aren't a true schooling fish. There's a exception to these danios. They are not that active. Most danios are active but with some research you would know that these are not like other danios in the amount of activeness. Funny you should say this about danios since most tetras are labelled very active.

Oh okay. Well your "research" cannot compete with my experience. I have owned celestial pearl danios and every specimen that has been in my possession has been just as active as a zebra danio. Neons are active but I'm curious to know where you've gotten your information to justify them being unsuitable for a 10 gallon aquarium. Neons are one of the most recommended fish for 10 gallon tanks if you do a little "research". Also, when neons are compared to other tetra species such as the blood fin or black skirt, you can clearly see they do not swim or dart nearly as much as their cousins. Reaching a size of 2 inches is VERY rare. If a fish less than 2 inches is not suitable for a 10 gallon tank then would you like to tell me what is? Not many other options.

I will say though that I have had CPD's for only a few weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have 9 CPDs in my 10g currently and for about half a year now. Definitely not true schooling fish and really not that active. They hide a lot. Great fish for small aquariums.

Good rule of thumb to generalize fish by broad name (all Danios act the same, etc) but it isn't a 10 out of 10 correlation.

Personally if I were you, I'd make a fancy Shell Dwelling Cichlid tank. Be a change of pace from your planted 75, interesting behavior, Cichlids always have great personality, and definitely very doable.

Another great thing you can do in a 10, along the lines of YaBuddyHuddie's show grade Betta tank, you could do a show grade Shrimp tank. Shrimp can be an interesting and challenging task, but they are wonderful to keep. I only have a 5.5g with RCS currently :)

image-1486328378.jpg

YaBuddyHuddie said:
Oh okay. Well your "research" cannot compete with my experience. I have owned celestial pearl danios and every specimen that has been in my possession has been just as active as a zebra danio. Neons are active but I'm curious to know where you've gotten your information to justify them being unsuitable for a 10 gallon aquarium. Neons are one of the most recommended fish for 10 gallon tanks if you do a little "research". Also, when neons are compared to other tetra species such as the blood fin or black skirt, you can clearly see they do not swim or dart nearly as much as their cousins. Reaching a size of 2 inches is VERY rare. If a fish less than 2 inches is not suitable for a 10 gallon tank then would you like to tell me what is? Not many other options.

If you have owned celestial pearl danios you would know that they aren't nearly as active as all other danios. I have gotten my information from the Internet, people on here and personal experience, as well as the local stores around me. Neon tetras are very tight schoolers, and are too active for a ten gallon. I have 8, a mixture of cardinals and tetras in a 30g and they're zipping everywhere. I would NEVER put them in anything less. It doesn't all count on size you know. The minimum tank size for them is 15-20 gallons. Ask around, many will say they are not suitable for a ten gallon. OP: sorry about this. But they are not suitable for a ten. There are lots of other fish which are a good fish!

Predfan27 said:
I have 9 CPDs in my 10g currently and for about half a year now. Definitely not true schooling fish and really not that active. They hide a lot. Great fish for small aquariums.

Good rule of thumb to generalize fish by broad name (all Danios act the same, etc) but it isn't a 10 out of 10 correlation.

Personally if I were you, I'd make a fancy Shell Dwelling Cichlid tank. Be a change of pace from your planted 75, interesting behavior, Cichlids always have great personality, and definitely very doable.

Thank you! They are truly great fish for a ten gallon. I wasn't trying to argue btw I was letting you know that neons aren't the most suitable fish for a ten gallon.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's ok I have actually never owned any of those fish. I have previously only owned tiger oscars and arwanas. So a minor or heated discussion is ok with me. Besides its all friendly and it's good to see both sides, always is.

NexVobis said:
It's ok I have actually never owned any of those fish. I have previously only owned tiger oscars and arwanas. So a minor or heated discussion is ok with me. Besides its all friendly and it's good to see both sides, always is.

Once again very sorry!

I would not hesitate to put neons in a 10 gallon tank. I have kept them for years and years in many, different sized tanks.

Last edited:
How about a Scarlet Gem Badis species tank? 1 male and 3 females perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom