Spice had emergency surgery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menagerie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Our beloved 16 year old cat, Spice, had emergency exploratory surgery on Thursday. Two masses were found and removed. One mass, the size of a well fed walnut, was closing off her intestine and the other, the size of a Jordan almond, was in the fatty/connective tissue. She went in because she had been vomiting (nothing new for her, since she is a neurotic licker), but after we couldn’t get a stool sample from her over a period of 48 hours, we knew something was terribly wrong. I have no idea how long she haven’t been able to use the litter box, since we have two other healthy cats 8O This experience has truly made me rethink our menagerie. I love the four rodents, three cats, six tanks of fish and the bird and I want more (especially a puppy)! As I start a home business and my biological clock is telling me it’s time for a family, my pets get less attention.

Unfortunately Spice paid the price (and then passed on over $1000 in vet bills to me :bawl:). My poor kitty spent Thursday night in an emergency clinic to be monitored overnight and then all day yesterday at our vet’s. Now, she is home and has to be feed little bits of special bland moist food 4-5 times a day; plus antibiotics and pain meds.

While I’m venting, I will mention that Trevor and I were supposed to go back to Calgary to pick up the rest of our stuff that did not fit in the Budget truck this weekend :roll: That has been put off and then we thought we could get up there during the week, but Spice needs lots of TLC and attention in the coming weeks.

Spice enjoying retirement before surgery
img_427267_0_b90f0c4580e54dbc5e21ec22f3f3b43b.jpg

Spice a few hours after surgery, being transferred to the emergency clinic
img_427267_1_d0490362d5fcc6465a025b0f48cea289.jpg

Menagerie said:
Our beloved 16 year old cat, Spice, had emergency exploratory surgery on Thursday.

Poor, sad Spicey. :cry:

my biological clock is telling me it’s time for a family,

Bah...my daughter's mother was 40 when my daughter was born, and there are plenty of 40-45 year old new mothers...you got tons o time yet!

my pets get less attention.

Well, if you feed the birds and rodents to the cats....voila, instant time! :lol:

Unfortunately Spice paid the price

If you think this had anything to do with you having a lack of time....

(and then passed on over $1000 in vet bills to me :bawl:).

Ouch....a lot.

.... then we thought we could get up there during the week, but Spice needs lots of TLC and attention in the coming weeks.

Which means no meeting crash? :(

Cranky-looking Spice...I'll bet she pees in your fax machine... :p

Poor Spice! Exploratory surgery sounds so primitive. I guess they don't do MRIs and laparoscopic abdominal surgery on cats for some reason. I hope she has a speedy recovery.

QTOFFER said:
Poor Spice! Exploratory surgery sounds so primitive. I guess they don't do MRIs and laparoscopic abdominal surgery on cats for some reason.

They do, but vets with MRIs are few and far bewteen, and that likely would have been a $750 item on the bill alone.

We had the option of having an ultrasound done, but we knew she was not able to have bowel movements, and surgery was needed. We consented for exploratory surgery because there could have been (and was) more than one mass. Her liver and other organs were examined for masses. The biopsy results will be in sometime middle next week.

I hope she feels better soon! That makes me worry about my kitty a bit. I have one that vomits quite a bit, and also two other healthy cats. They all share the same box (I know its better if they don't).
Any way, speedy recovery Spice!

REminds me of the guy who was having trouble with his dog...

He took his dog to the vet, lack of movement, not eating, not playing, ETC... the Dr. come in examines the dog, all the time shaking his head, the Dr finishes his examine when the big cat walks in, jumps up on the table and proceeds to walk around the dog sniffing. The cat jumps down, walks out and the vet says " I'm sorry sir but your dog is dead, that will be 350.00." the poor guy in total shock says 350 just to tell me my dog is dead?..........

The vet says yes sir, 50.00 office visit, and 300.00 cat scan.

:biglol:

Toirtis said:
Bah...my daughter's mother was 40 when my daughter was born, and there are plenty of 40-45 year old new mothers...you got tons o time yet!
I can't live with the ticking for 12 years!!

Update on Spice: She's home and just sleeps. When she's not sleeping, we are offering her food, or forcing meds/pain killers down her throat. She will be cared for by a friend (we simply cannot afford to board her at the vet) while we make the 4 day trip to Calgay and back.

Toirtis said:
Which means no meeting crash? :(
Strike up the band--we're on our way!!

The smaller mass was a lymph node. The cancer is spreading and Trevor and I need to make a decision. Spend $2000 on chemo treatment and improve the quality of her life for 12-18 months, or do nothing and when her quality of life is el crapo put her down.

As a former vet tech, I always knew that if any of my animals had kidney failure or got so skinny, I would know that only pain was in front of them and I would do the humane thing. I think Trevor has already made up his mind, when he said she has had a long, loving life. I'm not ready to let my baby go :bawl:

Oh dear, I am sorry to hear that (especially since I liked Spice in particular)...I can just imagine what you must be going through, especially since she has been a part of your life for so long. Unfortunately, as hard a concept as it is, Trevor is thinking what is probably the only reasonable decision...chemo is pretty tough on even a young cat.

Menagerie...I can understand what you're going through. Back in 2001, our first cat (Sabrina) was diagnosed with cancer. My wife anguished for a while with making the decision (yeah, I know exactly what the vet has told you).

I'm sure the decision you make will be the best one. So sorry to hear about this. :(

I'm so sorry, Menagerie.
I'm sure that you've considered how well a 16 year-old cat will tolerate the effects of chemo. It must be very hard to let go when there's still something there to hold. :cry:

Oh no Menagerie. I'm so sorry. My parents had to let go of a dog we had, and my mom still cant talk about it. I have never had to make this sort of decision myself, but I know it must be very difficult. I truly feel for you. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom