Spider pics - Black and Yellow Argiope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cJw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Heyas!

I lucked into hosting an Orb Weaver last week and got some great pics I wanted to share - here's one, with more @ my flickr site.

47686213_815ace3961.jpg

This spider, the 'Black and Yellow Argiope', is also known as a 'Garden Spider' or 'Writing Spider'. Generally, the female is larger and has about a 3" legspan, as this one did. Their venom is not dangerous to humans (except those with severe allergies), although I wasn't about to try to pet the thing. Gorgeous colors and not very timid, therefore a perfect photo subject. :D

Beautiful! I love it when I see garden spiders around my house. They are so pretty, and of course, I also like them because they never try to come IN my house. :p The last time we had a garden spider, I didn't have my camera yet. :roll:

Very nice photo!

Since you're into experimentation, you should try lightly misting the web. I once saw a Nat Geographic shot of a spider in its dew-soaked web - each droplet held the spider's reflection from a slightly different angle. Simply amazing pic that I haven't been able to replicate.

lmw80 - Kodak Easyshare CX7525: 5.0MP, 2560x1920 res (@ highest quality) and iirc, I was using a Macro Mode for this whole series of shots. We love it - quite nice our daughter got it for her 1st birthday. : grin :

severum mama - good point, this thing was just big enough to make me uncomfortable. We did find a black widow in our nursery right after the baby was born, though... my wife was a little freaked about that. We almost emptied the room, looking for an eggsack. :roll: :wink:

QTOFFER - Good idea! The web is long gone now; it didn't survive the rain on Sunday... but I'll have to remember that if/when I see another. :eek:

I saw this and thought that it looked kinda familiar. There's another board I post at where this guy goes hiking a lot. He posted a pic of a spider that he almost walked into. It looks similar to yours but is different. The guy lives in Canada.

Here's his pic...

Attachments

• 100_0842.jpg
    100_0842.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 36
found this gnarly looking guy while on vacation in SC I think its called a banana spider...

Attachments

• spidy.jpg
    spidy.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 39
I was in the process of IDing that spider yesterday and spent about an hour looking @ spid pics at this link. After a while, I started getting more and more uncomfortable looking at the pics, like I'd had enough crawly sensory input or somesuch. :p

I do have another (suspected) orb weaver pic in my flickr photostream, but it's a little less flamboyant :D :

45022450_e51b4730eb.jpg

Another spid pic from my yard :

19503890_e8477e7714.jpg

Which I found out yesterday is an Orchard Spider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom