Spouses...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the "tolerating" is just a mask. I can tell my guy really likes them... well I guess I knew for sure when he said he wanted a salt water tank, he just wanted me to take care of it... somehow we got gerbils instead :twisted:

I guess the tell-tale sign is that my wife does not get mad when I buy anew addition for the tank. This, however, is not the case with some other things :lol:

Does your wife go with you to the LFS? My wife will and they like looking at the fish and usually walk out with at least one of their own which is where the problem is. The 55 g is not overpopulated, but most of the fish in the tank are 'theirs.'

My wife dislikes most of my hobbies, especially the fish tanks. She just doesnt see the point. She gets upset and tells me that I have a serious problem with being unappreciative...that Im too materialistic. Her argument is, I spend money buying things for the tanks, but Im always looking at it and discussing that I need this or need that....like Im never happy with what I have. I told her that I am perfectly happy with what I have, but upgrading and redecorating are all a part of the hobby. If I bought a tank, set it up and never touched it again, it wouldnt be a hobby would it? It would just be another piece of furniture in the corner of the room. She thinks I can never be happy. Im telling you I dont have a problem with happiness...I just love my hobbies. I will always need that bigger tank or that nicer fish or that better filter. If I think about adding a new rock to the tank I might say something like, "I need a new rock". My wife takes "need" literally and thinks that I am just unhappy with my life unless I do what ever it takes to get that rock. She gets upset that I never finish anything. All of my hobbies get started but never finished. Can someone tell me just what a hobby is please? If I were finished getting all the equipment I wanted or "needed" for my guitar hobby, it wouldnt be a hobby anymore. If I had everything I wanted or "needed" for my photography hobby it wouldnt be a hobby anymore. Set these all on the shelf next to the other things that I never seem to be happy with, like my car, motorcycles, computer, fish, etc. etc. All of this comes from a woman who has no hobbies what so ever. Now, if you ask her, she will say something to the effect that she doesnt have time or money to spend on her hobbies because she feels its more important to live her life trying to make me happy and allow me to have my own hobbies. :roll: I dont understand how wanting to have a hobby means that you dont want to be with your family and just need some escape from them. She takes this whole hobby thing very personal and it bothers me to a great degree, but for the most part, she lives with it and is getting better over time. She ocassionally will come with me to the pet stores and look at fish stuff. She even got me a gift card at Petsmart for Valentines day. Now that I truly admire and think was a great gift. She was totally thinking of me when she did that. I think she may be beginning to understand that there is a passion in having a hobby. It isnt wrong to want things. She'll get there....I just need to keep working on her and try to find things that spark an interest in her, although that has proven to be extremely difficult to do.

I love this woman and our life is wonderful. I would give up everything I have if it meant I couldnt be with her. But god, please, bring this woman a deep interest in something and help her understand that its ok to have hobbies. :lol:

youronlysin said:
Can someone tell me just what a hobby is please?

If I think about adding a new rock to the tank I might say something like, "I need a new rock". My wife takes "need" literally and thinks that I am just unhappy with my life unless I do what ever it takes to get that rock.

first off, I looked up hobby for you... :)
An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure

perhaps you could express a little more happiness when you tell your wife that you need something else for the tank? :) Something along the lines of "I'm so happy that the tank needs a new rock..." should work real well.

My wife used to be the same way, not really having any hobbies, but she got into crafts and the like and now is making handmade greeting type cards. Part of the laundry room redesign includes a craft area...

Huh. Thats really a great idea. I dont know why I never thought of that before. Maybe I should back off a little bit and pretend to not be so serious about it and show her that I really am happy and enjoy what I have. Its all too simple, Watson. :lol:

youronlysin said:
please, bring this woman a deep interest in something and help her understand that its ok to have hobbies. :lol:

My husband and I have very little in common in the way of "hobby" activities. And until recently I didn't have a hobby of my own. I always take an interest in something and that interest usually fizzles out fairly quickly. especially in the beginning of our relationship, I am a bit ashamed to say, that I was a little bit envious of my husbands hobby. Not because it took time away from us, but because nothing held my interest long enough for me to excel at it. It was hard to watch him get excited about something other than our relationship, something that didn't have anything at all to do with me. I eventually got over it, and now I have my fish, and he still has his music, and we are thinking about doing something together that neither of us has any experience with. Should be interesting in the very least :D

Well, I do have to amend some of my previous thoughts. My wife has finally admitted to me that she understands the hobby and will not engage in anything negative in regard to it in the future.

I do admit, some of the "things" we do in this hobby can be misconstrued as "obsessive complusive behavior". Taking pics of our tanks and inhabitants is one of them. Think about it...what they see is us taking hundreds of pictures. We don't take that many pictures of our families. They have no idea that 99% of the pictures are unusable and we delete them.

Well, here's to understanding and tolerance. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom