Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2005, 09:54 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Spyware

Looking for what spyware combinations you guys use, only criteria is they got to be free. I personally use adaware and spybot, but adaware is no longer free and I'm trying to help someone get their computer fixed up.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 02-05-2005, 10:11 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Kevin....

The best overall spyware removal tool that I've used is a product by Webroot called SpySweeper. It is also not free but there is a thirty day, fully functional, updateable version available on their web site ( http://www.webroot.com ). Go to the 'Downloads' section and in the area under 'Try It' you will see all of the 30 day downloads available. If all you're trying to do is clean the computer up then this is definitely the way to go. You can download it, update it, run it, clean the computer up and then uninstall it (or leave it on the computer for 30 days).

A note: you can't be clever and uninstall it and then try to reinstall it again. It leaves a registry entry behind even after uninstall that will prevent you from successfully re-installing after the trial period is over.

Old 02-05-2005, 10:12 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I use Adware from lavasoft. It's pretty simple to use and removes the data miners while you continue working.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:26 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

CWShredder is free, I think, my husband swears by that. I use Spybot and Adaware, and I got Pest Patrol when I upgraded my Zone Alarm firewall.

Also Hijackthis is good for locating things in the registry, but then you have to go online and get someone experienced to tell you what you need to delete and what to keep.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use Webroot Spy Sweeper. It's not freeware, except for the evaluation version, but you get continuous dat file updates and version updates. Pretty cool, easy to set up and worth the little cash they want. I understand that many people want the free stuff, but as I always tell my friends/relatives "You get what you pay for".

8)

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
Old 02-05-2005, 10:47 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat
A note: you can't be clever and uninstall it and then try to reinstall it again. It leaves a registry entry behind even after uninstall that will prevent you from successfully re-installing after the trial period is over.
That's why it is always useful to have a utility called Registry Mechanic. Cleans up your registry like there is no tomorrow. 8O I now have it installed on all my windoze pc.

8)

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
Old 02-05-2005, 10:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I use a combination of the above mentioned.
Here is a site that I have used a couple of times with success. He will even check your log to be sure you are clean after you go through the steps.
Also has free links to the downloads.
http://www.greyknight17.com/spyware.htm#adaware
Old 02-05-2005, 02:16 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
I use Adaware as well. At home and at work.

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:46 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Oh man its not free any more? Adaware that is.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:50 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

I've not been able to find one, I think it's been pay for play for the last 6months to a year. If you got it free...don't delete it, the personal edition costs money now.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com