Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2007, 07:52 AM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I have one LFS charges 125 dollars an hour and the other charges 175 dollars an hour for tank maint. Even though they charge these rates they are booked solid.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:06 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
What kind of maint. are they doing for rates like that?

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:08 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

i have also though of just starting up a aquarium mantainace/ set -up bussiness. i would have to limit myself to freshwater though as at this point i have no SW experience.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Friend of mine bought one a while ago.

He's going on his 200th day straight on the 15th of this month.
and he still barely pays the bills

www.vebas.com.au
Labidochromis caeruleus
Cynotilapia afra 'Cobue'
Pseudotropheus acei 'Msuli Point'
Aulunocara stuartgranti 'chipoka'
Labidochromis freibergi
Oreochromis mossambicus
Etroplus suratensis
DeFeKt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:37 PM   #15
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Cleaning tanks and tank equipment break downs and new tank installations. Also providing tanks at those doctors offices. They will pay those prices. As far as the first sentence things there are many well off people that will pay that amount.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think for a store, its best to go either salt or fresh anyway. When smaller stores try to do both it seems like they just have a very limited selection or each and can't do a great job on either.

When I am a super-rich doctor one day I will totally pay big bucks for maintenance service on the 300 gallon tank in my office. Then I will play with my own at home with all my spare time...
Old 04-12-2007, 04:53 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I tossed around the idea for a while, but once I looked at the numbers and the market in the local area went in as assistant director of my Dad's business. Getting financing for an LFS is the first major hurdle and the folks I know that have been successful either came from a rich family that provided the financial backing or had previous businesses that they sold to fund the LFS idea.

One friend of mine was a serious FW hobbyist and got financing to start his own shop about 6-7 years ago. He calls the whole thing, "a total failure" and complains that not only is his shop unsuccessful, it has ruined his love of the hobby.

I have another friend who has a pretty successful SW and FW shop although he sells Hamsters, Rabbits, Reptiles, the whole 9 yards but tells me that his reef fish and corals are his main sellers and the heart of his business. Personally I think location and market are the keys. Wet Pets and Friends is a very successful fish shop fairly close to me. They have a great staff, two owners that work hard and know the hobby, and are situated close to Pittsburgh, PA so they have both wealthy and dedicated clients.

All in all opening a fish shop is something I would think long and hard on.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:54 PM   #18

I would suggest a hatchery type of shop, a couple of friends of mine own one it's a little more work, but it's apparently more profitable and draws a larger customer base when you raise your own stock thus keeping prices lower and the piece of mind of knowing just how well the fish are being treated. I have been thinking about starting this type of shop for about two years now, and slowly building up the equipment and breeding stock, but my job and family keep me pretty busy.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:17 AM   #19
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
I have one LFS charges 125 dollars an hour and the other charges 175 dollars an hour for tank maint. Even though they charge these rates they are booked solid.
That is pretty high, but standard rates in most places run $60-$100/hour...pretty good work for decent pay, especially if you can get enough contracts to give you 20 or more hours weekly.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:57 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Starting any new business is a challenge. In order to secure enough credit to operate for the first couple of years, any lender will certainly require a detailed business plan, including a financial plan and strategy for growth. I suggest starting with a tank maintanance company and growing from there. If you have a successful track record of good business management, you will increase your lending chances in a couple of years. You can still supply livestock to your customers by ordering online and QT the animals at home before adding them to customer's tanks. I am not sure what your background consists of, but taking some business classes at a local community college may be a good idea as well.

On a side...you will hard-pressed to beat the national chain stores on prices. Your best strategy is to beat them with better selection, healthy animals and, above all, top-notch service.

Tags
lfs, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com