Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

stipulations where being overstocked is ok

are there cases where being overstocked is OK?

Old 03-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ive only seen people suggest this in african tanks to try and control aggression

Old 03-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

because I can acknowledge I know my tanks are overstocked but I have overkill/extra filtration and do at least 50-60% water changes at least every 7 days and their is no aggression issues..

so do people agree that its not the end of the world to be overstocked in some cases?

if you know what your doing, fish aren't being harmed and water parameters never get out of hand (0-0-<20)

what's your thoughts and opinions?
Old 03-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Some people tried to tell me that having 180 neons, 10 black neons, 10 harlequin rasboras, 12 albino corys, 4 gold dojos, 4 angelfish, 4 zebra botias, 6 GBR, 2 dozen ghost shrimp, apple snails and a partridge in a pear tree in a 115g was overstocked.

Considering the bio-load, the heavy planting, the different levels the fish swim at, weekly 50% or more water changes,2 Fluval 405s, 2 HOBs, I highly doubt I was over-stocked. I had no aggression issues with the angels vs the neons. Still have no problems.

Sadly, most of the smaller stock was lost to the dreaded camallanus worm brought in by new stock. Which is why I QT for 2 months now.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

IMO there is a fine line between a manageable overstock, and a tank that clearly had no justification in being stocked a certain way(because of stupidity or lack of knowledge).
Old 03-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Overstocking indicates an inability to maintain proper parameters given your maintenance schedule. So no... there are no situations where overstocking is ok. Overcrowding, yes. Overstocking, no.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHead707
IMO there is a fine line between a manageable overstock, and a tank that clearly had no justification in being stocked a certain way(because of stupidity or lack of knowledge).
I agree with the knowledge factor being the majority of the issue
Old 03-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
Overstocking indicates an inability to maintain proper parameters given your maintenance schedule. So no... there are no situations where overstocking is ok. Overcrowding, yes. Overstocking, no.
very good way to put that.. thank you for using clarification words
Old 03-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish71
Some people tried to tell me that having 180 neons, 10 black neons, 10 harlequin rasboras, 12 albino corys, 4 gold dojos, 4 angelfish, 4 zebra botias, 6 GBR, 2 dozen ghost shrimp, apple snails and a partridge in a pear tree in a 115g was overstocked.

Considering the bio-load, the heavy planting, the different levels the fish swim at, weekly 50% or more water changes,2 Fluval 405s, 2 HOBs, I highly doubt I was over-stocked. I had no aggression issues with the angels vs the neons. Still have no problems.

Sadly, most of the smaller stock was lost to the dreaded camallanus worm brought in by new stock. Which is why I QT for 2 months now.
I feel like if you can make it work, what's the problem.. you have plenty of filtration, a good pwc schedule, different level fish, a good understand, minimal aggression, and I bet great parameters!

but I'm not going to lie, those numbers are overwhelming, I'm not saying g I think your overstocked but the numbers are the "wow" factor

sounds like a beautiful array of fish, I bet you have a beautiful tank
Old 03-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
language=good

Tags
overstock, overstocked

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com