Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-22-2014, 04:56 PM   #101
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
FallenAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 357
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408737240.331546.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	247668

Saw this at petsmart today... At least the 5 gallon is also listed as an aquarium, to bad this sign was above the bowls and I only saw one 5 gallon tank in the store!


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
FallenAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #102
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 5,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by preyas1207 View Post
I'm sorry to say I keep my betta in a 0.5 gallon +5gallons ;3 I love bettas they were one of my first fish my oldest one was only 2 1/2 years old though but long live the bettas in great homes!!
Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
You shouldn't be sorry for keeping them in .5 gallons if you are doing correctly. That's what mine live in and have been for the past 3+ years. The 2 I have now came from a breeder friend and got them out of a bowl. They were put in a bowl at about 3 month of age and raised in a bowl ever since. In fact, the only time they spent out of a bowl was when they were breeding for me. So when done correctly, a bowl is not the end of the world to these fish. I will admit that I just lost one of my fish. According to my records, he was approaching 5 years old. Not bad for a "Bowl Betta" wouldn't you say?




Quote:
Originally Posted by obedey View Post
Hey Andy the only thing I would change about that link would be the once a week water change. I can't help thinking about them sitting in their urea for a week. Thanks for that advice you gave me an age ago. I never did thank you.
All I can say regarding the water change schedule is that if you test your water, you may find that in a week's time, it's no different than being in a filtered tank if you have some live plant in there . If you do find ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, you just need to change your fish's water more frequently or adjust your feeding routine. I currently use Java Moss in my bowls and have tested my water multiple times under multiple conditions and have not found a high amount ( or actually, any appreciable amount) of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate in my bowls. Obviously, the larger the bowl, the more likely the water will keep cleaner longer.
As I've pointed out previously, these have to be one of the most misunderstood fish in the hobby. How they came to be and kept as a pet is quite contradictory to how many people express how they should be kept. I sited that article because it comes from a club just about Bettas. Who better than to get some insight from?

As for: "Thanks for that advice you gave me an age ago. I never did thank you." No problem, glad to have helped.


I'm sure the fire storm will continue but it just reminds me of a saying I heard years ago: " Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind's made up!"

__________________

__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #103
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CCXGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggieelala View Post
Sadly when I first bought my betta my only choice of tank was a small one gallon, I'd read that they could live in one but knew it could not be happy in there. My betta was surviving in its tank but most certainly not living. After showing my parents that state of its tiny tank we went out and bought a real tank with heater, filter, lighting, live plants and plenty of space to swim and hide. I now have a lovely community fish tank with my betta, two African dwarf frogs, a bumblebee snail and a small shoal of bandit corydoras. I also made a point to condition the water and feed my fish with frozen blood worms and couldn't be happier with my choice. What started as a guilty conscience has turned into my new hobby and I am now looking at setting up another tank.


Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would just like to add to those that say their betta is scared of a big tank, mine was at first, I just planted the tank a little more and now he rules the tank!
Also, here in the uk a major pet store is "pets at home" who refuse to sell a fish to an unsuitable tank condition and most people will not go out of their way to lie about a tank just to purchase some fish. Great way of informing newbie owners like myself.

Pets At Home said that?

When I showed up they offered me a school of Clown Loaches for my 10G...

Don't believe what many Pet Shops say and you'll be much better off.

I'd shop in Maidenhead Aquatics if I were you, I'm sure there's one close by.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
CCXGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:16 PM   #104
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
I'm sure the fire storm will continue but it just reminds me of a saying I heard years ago: " Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind's made up!"

Like the fact I have a migratory fish in a tank. By comparison I could put a betta in a shot glass.
__________________
obedey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:06 PM   #105
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 5,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by obedey View Post
Like the fact I have a migratory fish in a tank. By comparison I could put a betta in a shot glass.
Actually, that's not the same. Fish migrate for many reasons but usually it's because the area is not suitable for their needs at that moment. Take Landlocked Salmon for example. These came from a migratory species ( Atlantic Salmon) that became landlocked after the ocean level had lowered and left them stranded in lakes instead of streams. They survived just fine because the remaining fish could find their needs to survive and multiply.
So while your comparison is not valid, YES, the right sized betta COULD survive in a shot glass


__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #106
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
MollysMollies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Albuquerque, NM-USA
Posts: 129
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408911730.435567.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	247853

My betta rescue! From a cup to a 5 gal!! Yay!
__________________
MollysMollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #107
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
Actually, that's not the same. Fish migrate for many reasons but usually it's because the area is not suitable for their needs at that moment. Take Landlocked Salmon for example. These came from a migratory species ( Atlantic Salmon) that became landlocked after the ocean level had lowered and left them stranded in lakes instead of streams. They survived just fine because the remaining fish could find their needs to survive and multiply.
So while your comparison is not valid, YES, the right sized betta COULD survive in a shot glass


Yeah I realise my fish (perch) only migrates to breed. I was just hinting at well we are keeping fish in glass containers. They aren't naturally in glass containers. Although my fish appear more than happy but who knows what they think. Mine appear to like fishing shows on tv or maybe its the flashy lights.

Still its a fair sight smaller than a rice field in the case of a beta or a massive river system. I really think peoples attitudes would change if they saw happy betas in containers. All the fish at my lfs are unhappy regardless of container size.
__________________
obedey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:17 PM   #108
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 5,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by obedey View Post
Yeah I realise my fish (perch) only migrates to breed. I was just hinting at well we are keeping fish in glass containers. They aren't naturally in glass containers. Although my fish appear more than happy but who knows what they think. Mine appear to like fishing shows on tv or maybe its the flashy lights.

Still its a fair sight smaller than a rice field in the case of a beta or a massive river system. I really think peoples attitudes would change if they saw happy betas in containers. All the fish at my lfs are unhappy regardless of container size.
I understand. It's sometimes hard to realize that the fish we keep are from vast areas and we are trying to keep them in little glass houses. HOWEVER, in most cases, especially Bettas, these are not wild fish we are keeping anymore. I doubt many people would even be keeping wild Betta splendens as they are not anything close in coloration or finnage to the ones offered today and I assure you, the ones in the hobby today all have spent some time in a bowl of no more than 1 gal. of water. This is the part of the firestorm that is betta keeping. You want to compare the fish to it's wild ancestors yet it's domestication dates back over 160 years ago. Today's fish are so far removed from wild stock. They were domesticated as fighting fish. In fact, the use of wild fish for this purpose stopped about the year 1850. I would hazard to say that today's fish wouldn't stand a chance of surviving in the wild in the rice paddies with their truly wild "cousins". They'd get torn to shreds because they are not designed to be living in the wild. Yet, the comparison to wild fish continues.

As for your Betta liking fishing shows, I have to laugh. One of mine used to like tormenting our cat so they do have a personality for sure. The cat has since passed on yet the Betta continues on in his bowl.

As for your store Bettas being unhappy in their containers, that's just the store not caring for them properly. It's not the fish's or container's fault. It's the management's fault


__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #109
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 0
Actually Bettas can live I 1gallon tanks all 6 of mine do and they r very happy. It's unfathomable to me the some people insist Bettas need at least 5gallons of water. Bettas aren't very big fish and they can live happily in a gallon. A gallon is the smallest quantity of water that can be cycled and heated with out any parameters or the temperature fluctuating to dangerously low or high levels. And (I'm not proud of this) I have had a crowntail male betta live to be 8 years old in a half gallon unfiltered in heated tank and the reason he died wasn't even of old age my mom forgot the remove him when she bug bombedour house. He never had SBD Popeyes Ick sticky fins or was never bloated or tail bit. But I do agree that was not right. Also I it's not fish "abuse" it's neglect to keep them in any thing under 1 gallon. Abuse usually mean to physically or verbally harm. Neglect is failure to care for properly or to ignore. And just because someone can't afford a liquid water treatment kit or a ridiculously large tank with filtration system and heater or 20 dollar can of food and natural sand or gravel or live or silk plants doesn't mean they can not properly care for a betta.
__________________
Vailtail916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:23 PM   #110
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 0
Stop betta abuse !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
I understand. It's sometimes hard to realize that the fish we keep are from vast areas and we are trying to keep them in little glass houses. HOWEVER, in most cases, especially Bettas, these are not wild fish we are keeping anymore. I doubt many people would even be keeping wild Betta splendens as they are not anything close in coloration or finnage to the ones offered today and I assure you, the ones in the hobby today all have spent some time in a bowl of no more than 1 gal. of water. This is the part of the firestorm that is betta keeping. You want to compare the fish to it's wild ancestors yet it's domestication dates back over 160 years ago. Today's fish are so far removed from wild stock. They were domesticated as fighting fish. In fact, the use of wild fish for this purpose stopped about the year 1850. I would hazard to say that today's fish wouldn't stand a chance of surviving in the wild in the rice paddies with their truly wild "cousins". They'd get torn to shreds because they are not designed to be living in the wild. Yet, the comparison to wild fish continues.

As for your Betta liking fishing shows, I have to laugh. One of mine used to like tormenting our cat so they do have a personality for sure. The cat has since passed on yet the Betta continues on in his bowl.

As for your store Bettas being unhappy in their containers, that's just the store not caring for them properly. It's not the fish's or container's fault. It's the management's fault



I agree Bettas today are I guess "domesticated" and do not know of large rice patties their wild counterparts dwelle in. Today's pet store Bettas would not survive in the wild for long because of their extravagant finage compromising their ability to defend them self from they're short finned ascendants. with such an immense amount baggage the carry behind them they would be tore to shreds. Today's betta splindends aren't quite accustomed to the wild rice patties of Asia ☺️
__________________

__________________
Vailtail916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.