Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2014, 03:06 AM   #111
Aquarium Advice Activist

So I was at a shopping centre today. Noticed a pet shop. Thought I'd take a look. Big mistake. The betta's were on the front counter. I heard myself say Jesus Christ! Then the young girl smiled at me and I ran out of the shop. I thought my lfs was bad. Almost every betta in there was diseased and the rest didn't look too happy. They had like a cascading filter setup think of a tower of wine glasses that you fill from the top. I guess it pumped around through a canister filter or something the flow looked too much.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:30 PM   #112
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCXGT View Post
Pets At Home said that?

When I showed up they offered me a school of Clown Loaches for my 10G...

Don't believe what many Pet Shops say and you'll be much better off.

I'd shop in Maidenhead Aquatics if I were you, I'm sure there's one close by.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pets at home asked me if I had a filter set up, I didn't at the time so they took my details and told me I had to buy a filter and set it up for 3 days with water treatments too. They then asked me to show a tank which seemed to be the same as mine and advised me on overstocking. They also refused to sell me fish that they didn't think should go together. I believe a lot of what they deemed to be concern was more about getting a bit more money but who knows. I did notice that the health of the fish and went to a real aquatics store which gave much more helpful advice.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 09-09-2014, 09:32 PM   #113
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you for posting this! Betta fish are so misunderstood, it's heartbreaking. We started off with a 2gallon tank for ours, but within a week he was in a 10gallon, and he LOVES it. I never would have gotten anything smaller than a 2gallon anyway for him because that seemed cruel even before I learned more about them (I have a great friend who taught me a lot about them! ) Unfortunately since we didn't change the water soon enough one time, almost 2 weeks (this was in the 10gallon, not the 2), he got mild fin rot from about .25 ppm ammonia. So we treated him with salt in his original tank. Then about 2-3 weeks later, we waited 5 days to change the water (a bit too long clearly) and his ammonia was at .5ppm and the fin rot worse. Ugh! So we went back to the salt, this time a stronger dose (he is finished now). Now he gets about a 90% water change every other day until his 10 gallon is cycled. We weren't going to cycle it originally since it was just 10 gallons and we were going to change the water 30% or so each week, but after this mishap (which I am so upset my poor boy got fin rot, his tail looks awful! But he's very lively like he's always been, so he should be fine), we decided it was best to cycle it. He's been back in the 2gallon tank for almost 2 months now, maybe a month and a half.

He is such an active, smart little guy, I just love him! Eventually we are going to get him some pygmy cory cat fish friends to go in the tank with him, hopefully they will get along.

I called one pet store looking for heaters, and the guy instead of really answering my question (which was I am looking for a small heater for my betta fish), said bettas don't need heaters, they don't need heaters. Thanks sir, not going there!

What needs to happen is we need to educate educate educate! A friend of mine educated me, and I in turn have educated others too. The myths need to stop. These fish deserve so much better!
Old 09-09-2014, 09:52 PM   #114
Aquarium Advice Freak

I definitely agree. I think I am going to do my gold award project for Girl Scouts on this issue, it is such a big problem to me.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:54 PM   #115
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic mike View Post
There won't be anything that looks like him in the tank. I'm not worried about him messing anybody up at all, I'm more worried the tank will have too much current/suction from the filter to tire him out and kill him.
I know this post is from a little while ago, but, we have figured out a way to spare our betta from filters and the stress they can give bettas and still filter the water! If they will fit on this intake and/or the area where the water pours out of from the filter, these are GREAT buffers for water flow

Fluval® Edge Pre-Filter Sponge | Filter Media | PetSmart

The box looks different than the ones I have, but I believe the sponge is the same as the one we have. We have one covering the area where the water pours out of in our 2gallon tank. Without it, he was miserable, and also clinging to the vent in the back of the tank where the water gets filtered.

We also put one on the intake of the filter in our 10 gallon and in the part where the water pours out and that is that for making our betta happy and still filtering his water I could take some pictures or find some online too if you'd like.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #116
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittykat364 View Post
I definitely agree. I think I am going to do my gold award project for Girl Scouts on this issue, it is such a big problem to me.

That's a fantastic project idea! Let us know how it goes
Old 09-09-2014, 10:58 PM   #117
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer View Post
Good! Definitely get a king betta, they're so active! Here's my old boy duece xP he used to jump out of the water for food. The guy lasted 2 years plus however long he was in the cup at petco. I almost didn't realize he was dead, since he was just on the bottom floating upright... Ill miss him. I kept him in a 15 column
What a beautiful boy you had How many gallons was that tank?
Old 10-02-2014, 01:08 AM   #118
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

http://nippyfish.net/2011/10/23/the-...-from-fiction/ here is a good article debunking betta myths

Fishobsessed7

Fishobsessed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:16 AM   #119
Aquarium Advice Freak

I always keep my bettas in 10g. Seems fair to me.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:07 AM   #120
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon.goby View Post
I always keep my bettas in 10g. Seems fair to me.

That's wonderful

Every betta should have a 5-10g tank in my opinion

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com