Stop betta abuse !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408737240.331546.jpg

Saw this at petsmart today... At least the 5 gallon is also listed as an aquarium, to bad this sign was above the bowls and I only saw one 5 gallon tank in the store!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm sorry to say I keep my betta in a 0.5 gallon +5gallons ;3 I love bettas they were one of my first fish my oldest one was only 2 1/2 years old though but long live the bettas in great homes!!
Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You shouldn't be sorry for keeping them in .5 gallons if you are doing correctly. That's what mine live in and have been for the past 3+ years. The 2 I have now came from a breeder friend and got them out of a bowl. They were put in a bowl at about 3 month of age and raised in a bowl ever since. In fact, the only time they spent out of a bowl was when they were breeding for me. So when done correctly, a bowl is not the end of the world to these fish. (y) I will admit that I just lost one of my fish. According to my records, he was approaching 5 years old. Not bad for a "Bowl Betta" wouldn't you say?

Hey Andy the only thing I would change about that link would be the once a week water change. I can't help thinking about them sitting in their urea for a week. Thanks for that advice you gave me an age ago. I never did thank you.

All I can say regarding the water change schedule is that if you test your water, you may find that in a week's time, it's no different than being in a filtered tank if you have some live plant in there . If you do find ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, you just need to change your fish's water more frequently or adjust your feeding routine. I currently use Java Moss in my bowls and have tested my water multiple times under multiple conditions and have not found a high amount ( or actually, any appreciable amount) of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate in my bowls. Obviously, the larger the bowl, the more likely the water will keep cleaner longer.
As I've pointed out previously, these have to be one of the most misunderstood fish in the hobby. How they came to be and kept as a pet is quite contradictory to how many people express how they should be kept. I sited that article because it comes from a club just about Bettas. Who better than to get some insight from? ;)

As for: "Thanks for that advice you gave me an age ago. I never did thank you." No problem, glad to have helped. (y)

I'm sure the fire storm will continue but it just reminds me of a saying I heard years ago: " Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind's made up!"

(y)

Sadly when I first bought my betta my only choice of tank was a small one gallon, I'd read that they could live in one but knew it could not be happy in there. My betta was surviving in its tank but most certainly not living. After showing my parents that state of its tiny tank we went out and bought a real tank with heater, filter, lighting, live plants and plenty of space to swim and hide. I now have a lovely community fish tank with my betta, two African dwarf frogs, a bumblebee snail and a small shoal of bandit corydoras. I also made a point to condition the water and feed my fish with frozen blood worms and couldn't be happier with my choice. What started as a guilty conscience has turned into my new hobby and I am now looking at setting up another tank.

I would just like to add to those that say their betta is scared of a big tank, mine was at first, I just planted the tank a little more and now he rules the tank!
Also, here in the uk a major pet store is "pets at home" who refuse to sell a fish to an unsuitable tank condition and most people will not go out of their way to lie about a tank just to purchase some fish. Great way of informing newbie owners like myself.

Pets At Home said that?

When I showed up they offered me a school of Clown Loaches for my 10G...

Don't believe what many Pet Shops say and you'll be much better off.

I'd shop in Maidenhead Aquatics if I were you, I'm sure there's one close by.

Like the fact I have a migratory fish in a tank. By comparison I could put a betta in a shot glass.

Actually, that's not the same. Fish migrate for many reasons but usually it's because the area is not suitable for their needs at that moment. Take Landlocked Salmon for example. These came from a migratory species ( Atlantic Salmon) that became landlocked after the ocean level had lowered and left them stranded in lakes instead of streams. They survived just fine because the remaining fish could find their needs to survive and multiply.
So while your comparison is not valid, YES, the right sized betta COULD survive in a shot glass ;)

(y)

Actually, that's not the same. Fish migrate for many reasons but usually it's because the area is not suitable for their needs at that moment. Take Landlocked Salmon for example. These came from a migratory species ( Atlantic Salmon) that became landlocked after the ocean level had lowered and left them stranded in lakes instead of streams. They survived just fine because the remaining fish could find their needs to survive and multiply.
So while your comparison is not valid, YES, the right sized betta COULD survive in a shot glass ;)

(y)
Yeah I realise my fish (perch) only migrates to breed. I was just hinting at well we are keeping fish in glass containers. They aren't naturally in glass containers. Although my fish appear more than happy but who knows what they think. Mine appear to like fishing shows on tv or maybe its the flashy lights.

Still its a fair sight smaller than a rice field in the case of a beta or a massive river system. I really think peoples attitudes would change if they saw happy betas in containers. All the fish at my lfs are unhappy regardless of container size.

Yeah I realise my fish (perch) only migrates to breed. I was just hinting at well we are keeping fish in glass containers. They aren't naturally in glass containers. Although my fish appear more than happy but who knows what they think. Mine appear to like fishing shows on tv or maybe its the flashy lights.

Still its a fair sight smaller than a rice field in the case of a beta or a massive river system. I really think peoples attitudes would change if they saw happy betas in containers. All the fish at my lfs are unhappy regardless of container size.

I understand. It's sometimes hard to realize that the fish we keep are from vast areas and we are trying to keep them in little glass houses. HOWEVER, in most cases, especially Bettas, these are not wild fish we are keeping anymore. I doubt many people would even be keeping wild Betta splendens as they are not anything close in coloration or finnage to the ones offered today and I assure you, the ones in the hobby today all have spent some time in a bowl of no more than 1 gal. of water. This is the part of the firestorm that is betta keeping. You want to compare the fish to it's wild ancestors yet it's domestication dates back over 160 years ago. Today's fish are so far removed from wild stock. They were domesticated as fighting fish. In fact, the use of wild fish for this purpose stopped about the year 1850. I would hazard to say that today's fish wouldn't stand a chance of surviving in the wild in the rice paddies with their truly wild "cousins". They'd get torn to shreds because they are not designed to be living in the wild. Yet, the comparison to wild fish continues. :facepalm:

As for your Betta liking fishing shows, I have to laugh. One of mine used to like tormenting our cat so they do have a personality for sure. The cat has since passed on yet the Betta continues on in his bowl. (y)

As for your store Bettas being unhappy in their containers, that's just the store not caring for them properly. It's not the fish's or container's fault. It's the management's fault ;)

(y)(y)

Actually Bettas can live I 1gallon tanks all 6 of mine do and they r very happy. It's unfathomable to me the some people insist Bettas need at least 5gallons of water. Bettas aren't very big fish and they can live happily in a gallon. A gallon is the smallest quantity of water that can be cycled and heated with out any parameters or the temperature fluctuating to dangerously low or high levels. And (I'm not proud of this) I have had a crowntail male betta live to be 8 years old in a half gallon unfiltered in heated tank and the reason he died wasn't even of old age my mom forgot the remove him when she bug bombedour house. He never had SBD Popeyes Ick sticky fins or was never bloated or tail bit. But I do agree that was not right. Also I it's not fish "abuse" it's neglect to keep them in any thing under 1 gallon. Abuse usually mean to physically or verbally harm. Neglect is failure to care for properly or to ignore. And just because someone can't afford a liquid water treatment kit or a ridiculously large tank with filtration system and heater or 20 dollar can of food and natural sand or gravel or live or silk plants doesn't mean they can not properly care for a betta.

I understand. It's sometimes hard to realize that the fish we keep are from vast areas and we are trying to keep them in little glass houses. HOWEVER, in most cases, especially Bettas, these are not wild fish we are keeping anymore. I doubt many people would even be keeping wild Betta splendens as they are not anything close in coloration or finnage to the ones offered today and I assure you, the ones in the hobby today all have spent some time in a bowl of no more than 1 gal. of water. This is the part of the firestorm that is betta keeping. You want to compare the fish to it's wild ancestors yet it's domestication dates back over 160 years ago. Today's fish are so far removed from wild stock. They were domesticated as fighting fish. In fact, the use of wild fish for this purpose stopped about the year 1850. I would hazard to say that today's fish wouldn't stand a chance of surviving in the wild in the rice paddies with their truly wild "cousins". They'd get torn to shreds because they are not designed to be living in the wild. Yet, the comparison to wild fish continues. :facepalm:

As for your Betta liking fishing shows, I have to laugh. One of mine used to like tormenting our cat so they do have a personality for sure. The cat has since passed on yet the Betta continues on in his bowl. (y)

As for your store Bettas being unhappy in their containers, that's just the store not caring for them properly. It's not the fish's or container's fault. It's the management's fault ;)

(y)(y)

I agree Bettas today are I guess "domesticated" and do not know of large rice patties their wild counterparts dwelle in. Today's pet store Bettas would not survive in the wild for long because of their extravagant finage compromising their ability to defend them self from they're short finned ascendants. with such an immense amount baggage the carry behind them they would be tore to shreds. Today's betta splindends aren't quite accustomed to the wild rice patties of Asia ☺️

So I was at a shopping centre today. Noticed a pet shop. Thought I'd take a look. Big mistake. The betta's were on the front counter. I heard myself say Jesus Christ! Then the young girl smiled at me and I ran out of the shop. I thought my lfs was bad. Almost every betta in there was diseased and the rest didn't look too happy. They had like a cascading filter setup think of a tower of wine glasses that you fill from the top. I guess it pumped around through a canister filter or something the flow looked too much.

Pets At Home said that?

When I showed up they offered me a school of Clown Loaches for my 10G...

Don't believe what many Pet Shops say and you'll be much better off.

I'd shop in Maidenhead Aquatics if I were you, I'm sure there's one close by.

Pets at home asked me if I had a filter set up, I didn't at the time so they took my details and told me I had to buy a filter and set it up for 3 days with water treatments too. They then asked me to show a tank which seemed to be the same as mine and advised me on overstocking. They also refused to sell me fish that they didn't think should go together. I believe a lot of what they deemed to be concern was more about getting a bit more money but who knows. I did notice that the health of the fish and went to a real aquatics store which gave much more helpful advice.

Thank you for posting this! Betta fish are so misunderstood, it's heartbreaking. We started off with a 2gallon tank for ours, but within a week he was in a 10gallon, and he LOVES it. I never would have gotten anything smaller than a 2gallon anyway for him because that seemed cruel even before I learned more about them (I have a great friend who taught me a lot about them! :) ) Unfortunately since we didn't change the water soon enough one time, almost 2 weeks (this was in the 10gallon, not the 2), he got mild fin rot from about .25 ppm ammonia. So we treated him with salt in his original tank. Then about 2-3 weeks later, we waited 5 days to change the water (a bit too long clearly) and his ammonia was at .5ppm and the fin rot worse. Ugh! So we went back to the salt, this time a stronger dose (he is finished now). Now he gets about a 90% water change every other day until his 10 gallon is cycled. We weren't going to cycle it originally since it was just 10 gallons and we were going to change the water 30% or so each week, but after this mishap (which I am so upset my poor boy got fin rot, his tail looks awful! But he's very lively like he's always been, so he should be fine), we decided it was best to cycle it. He's been back in the 2gallon tank for almost 2 months now, maybe a month and a half.

He is such an active, smart little guy, I just love him! Eventually we are going to get him some pygmy cory cat fish friends to go in the tank with him, hopefully they will get along.

I called one pet store looking for heaters, and the guy instead of really answering my question (which was I am looking for a small heater for my betta fish), said bettas don't need heaters, they don't need heaters. Thanks sir, not going there!

What needs to happen is we need to educate educate educate! A friend of mine educated me, and I in turn have educated others too. The myths need to stop. These fish deserve so much better!

I definitely agree. I think I am going to do my gold award project for Girl Scouts on this issue, it is such a big problem to me.

There won't be anything that looks like him in the tank. I'm not worried about him messing anybody up at all, I'm more worried the tank will have too much current/suction from the filter to tire him out and kill him.

I know this post is from a little while ago, but, we have figured out a way to spare our betta from filters and the stress they can give bettas and still filter the water! If they will fit on this intake and/or the area where the water pours out of from the filter, these are GREAT buffers for water flow :)

Fluval® Edge Pre-Filter Sponge | Filter Media | PetSmart

The box looks different than the ones I have, but I believe the sponge is the same as the one we have. We have one covering the area where the water pours out of in our 2gallon tank. Without it, he was miserable, and also clinging to the vent in the back of the tank where the water gets filtered.

We also put one on the intake of the filter in our 10 gallon and in the part where the water pours out and that is that for making our betta happy and still filtering his water :) I could take some pictures or find some online too if you'd like.

Good! Definitely get a king betta, they're so active! Here's my old boy duece xP he used to jump out of the water for food. The guy lasted 2 years plus however long he was in the cup at petco. I almost didn't realize he was dead, since he was just on the bottom floating upright... Ill miss him. I kept him in a 15 column :)

What a beautiful boy you had :) How many gallons was that tank?

Back
Top Bottom