Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2014, 01:34 AM   #81
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ah! My betta setup looks so dinky compared to you guys posts...but he's 5 1/2 years old and still going strong, so I guess it's good enough he refuses to pose for pics and I'm the worlds worst photographer

I'm working on getting his tank fully planted...those things floating at the top and the little leaves at the bottom are baby java fern. I got lazy last maintenance day and didn't remove all the algae from the Anubias nana

Old 04-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #82
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you for this post betta abuse is a big problem

Old 04-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree. The smallest I put mine in is a ten gallon tank. I know others use small bowls which is better than the "torture chamber" of the pet store. I once came across someone that had a Betta/Plant kit where supposedly the betta does not have to be fed....it's just madness. Anyway, I digress: an aquarist with a 1-gallon bowl that does frequent water changes, feeds and takes care of a Betta Splendens is better than an Ammonia Toxic pet store 4 oz. cylinder.
dcutl002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #84
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My betta is in a 20g planted community tank and he seems pretty happy
Old 04-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My first betta was in a 20 gallon community tank and did very well. That was years ago. I dislike them being in small cups. I went to one pet store that kept majority of the bettas- one per community tank. If I get another betta, probably from them.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:20 AM   #86
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I saw a horrible Betta set up today. It was 3 small tiered chambers all hooked together and cascading downward. I think it was supposed to look like a waterfall. B/c of the coral like ornaments in the chambers, I thought it was a super nano for baby corals. I was horrified when a poor sick Betta came out from behind a coral ornament. The chambers were tinnier than a coffee cup. ( took 10 diff google searches but I found a pic of the torture chamber aquarium and the Betta in the pic must be babies b/c the Betta in the store took up a lot more room). Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397704713.829589.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	233682

This is horrible!!! A 3 torture chamber "aquarium". Grrr!!!!
Old 04-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #87
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMonk86 View Post
I saw a horrible Betta set up today. It was 3 small tiered chambers all hooked together and cascading downward. I think it was supposed to look like a waterfall. B/c of the coral like ornaments in the chambers, I thought it was a super nano for baby corals. I was horrified when a poor sick Betta came out from behind a coral ornament. The chambers were tinnier than a coffee cup. ( took 10 diff google searches but I found a pic of the torture chamber aquarium and the Betta in the pic must be babies b/c the Betta in the store took up a lot more room). Attachment 233682

This is horrible!!! A 3 torture chamber "aquarium". Grrr!!!!

I saw one of those for sale at petco
Old 06-25-2014, 01:55 AM   #88
Aquarium Advice Regular

question for anybody willing to help.

i have a betta that i take care for (its the wifes....).
she had him in a 2.5gal tank that i used for sick fish.
after i noticed she wasnt taking care of him i started to.
i already take care of 3 tanks, whats one more.
I have a 20gal thats planted, has a lot of fish now, but ill be moving them to my 75gal tank. So ill have a 20gal i can put the betta in.
Hey's very healthy and happy now, loves the aquaponics setup i made on top of the tank, so i know he'll love the plants.
Im worried about the 20gal's filter though, dont want to tire him out with too much water flow/currrent.
will that water bottle waterfall stopper trick be fine enough? its just a whisper 20gal filter.
do i neeed to remove the air stone? i rather not since i dont have co2 onthis tank yet.
figured id leave the frogs, shrimp, my two catfishs and whatever smaller fish i have in the tank now.

am i missing anything? thanks!
Old 06-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #89
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I see one problem, if the fish is aggressive it could kill the other animals, my betta doesn't even tolerate a snail. Just might want to keep that in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 06-25-2014, 11:37 AM   #90
Aquarium Advice Regular

There won't be anything that looks like him in the tank. I'm not worried about him messing anybody up at all, I'm more worried the tank will have too much current/suction from the filter to tire him out and kill him.

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com