Strangest thing found in filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blackin

Aquarium Advice Activist
Was cleaning out the Cascade 1000 on the Axolotl tank last night and found 15 little 1/2" marbled crayfish wedged down in the bottom under all the trays. Perfectly healthy and kicking! No clue how long they been in there. Has only been the one crayfish in that tank this whole time. Never noticed him(her?) carrying eggs at any point.

What's YOUR strangest/coolest filter find?

I remember someone found a kuhli loach one time.

I found a earthworm living happily in my filter floss in my canister.

Caleb

Nothing really, I don't have anything that could slip into the filters other than shrimp lol but I have a piece of foam over the filter so they couldn't anyway. Doesn't get very exciting for me other than fish poop.

I use to find cory fry in my HOB's till I started using pre sponges....lol

What are scuds? They sound like a bar of soap.

Small crustaceans; amphipods. In the following pic, third one from the top:
5GYhTsQ.png

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I once found a small colony of cherry shrimp living happily in my filter.

Same here. As well as CPD fry living amongst the ceramic tubes which made them virtually impossible to retrieve without crushing them with the very tubes they were living in.

Same here. As well as CPD fry living amongst the ceramic tubes which made them virtually impossible to retrieve without crushing them with the very tubes they were living in.

CPD fry, for real?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wait, I once found a pristella tetra in my filter. I had taken off the out put tube but left the filter running so i could wash it and I come back no more then a minute later and he's in the filter. He was a strong fish so he swim in there of him own free will.

Was cleaning out the Cascade 1000 on the Axolotl tank last night and found 15 little 1/2" marbled crayfish wedged down in the bottom under all the trays. Perfectly healthy and kicking! No clue how long they been in there. Has only been the one crayfish in that tank this whole time. Never noticed him(her?) carrying eggs at any point.

What's YOUR strangest/coolest filter find?

Marbled Crayfish (Marmokrebs) only need a single crayfish to reproduce. They are self-cloning so I don't think you would ever see eggs. Just new small Marbled Crayfish.

This has also happened to me, not pleasant. :fish2:

I find yoyo loaches in my filters on a regular basis, but I don't bother retrieving them anymore because they've demonstrated the ability to come and go from the filter box at will.

Back
Top Bottom