Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am a softsculpture artist and rely on good pictures to sell my work so have a couple of opinions about what you might want. Lol...another bossy woman...great.

If you are looking for a digital SLR (always an excellent choice) the Nikon D50 is a terrific medium priced digi SLR. I own the D70 and bought it on E-Bay for a great price PLUS they now offer extended warranties for electronics. Nikon's only weakness is a lack of photo editing software. There are several free programs available and I'd recommend Paint.net or San Seriff.
If you want a point and shoot digital camera, I would recommend a Canon. If you want sexy (will sacrifice some quality and features) their smaller cameras are very good. I had an S70 and it was my staple camera until I bought the Nikon. They come with an excellent software package and they are easy to use. They also take great pictures. Their biggest weakness, like most point and shoot camera's are low light shooting. You will have a hard time getting good shots with poor lighting, even with a flash.
I almost bought a Sony point and shoot as, typical of Sony, you get alot for your money but the Canon was $100 less and had a higher mega pixel rating. They would be a great choice for a point and shoot.

In the future, you can find waterproof boxes for most camera's and that can help revent any further issues...lol. Trust me, I take my camera EVERYWHERE and there are all kinds of gadgets you can get to protect the camera. I'd also recommend a Gorilla tripod! They have flexible arms and you can actually put the arms around things, like a tree branch. Very cool!!!
Good luck!!!

Old 08-13-2007, 06:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love my Canon Powershot (I believe I have the same one as evercl). It's a heck of a lot better than the Kodak my husband had or the Fuji we had at work. They were both terrible. No offense Bill.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyfanatic
They were both terrible. No offense Bill.
None taken. All opinions are welcome but, I also figure that a picture is worth a thousand words, especially when it comes to aquarium photography. So I offer up these samples of photos taken with the Fuji:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newcamfish1_010_104.jpg (208.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg newcamfish1_008_102.jpg (199.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-13-2007, 08:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I have a Fujifilm S9100. I could not be more pleased. Nice pictures, Bill.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
I got tired of the cheap cameras, and decided that I wanted to get a good one not only for taking fish pics, but for travel as well. So I opted for the Nikon D70s Digital SLR with a 6GB Microdrive. I'll never have to get another camera, this one is great. But it is a little pricey, depending on what features you get with it. You can go with less memory and a single lens, but I got 3 lenses and the largest microdrive I could get at the time. Fantastic camera for those wanting a camera for taking all kinds of pics, fish, outdoors, travel, etc.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:05 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

The source of all that is digitally photo'd: http://www.dpreview.com/
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:24 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey LWB...I got my D70 on E-Bay with all the extras and a 2 year warranty for $400. Yay for E-Bay. When we originally bought that camera at Best Buy it was over $1000. Course the dumb thing was stolen and the insurance only paid for half of it...all in all, I was pleased to pocekt $100 after the fact!
Sorry to highjack your thread Gillie...if price isn't important go digital SLR...
Old 09-13-2007, 01:07 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to zenkatydid Send a message via AIM to zenkatydid Send a message via MSN to zenkatydid
I second the Panasonic Lumix. Love mine.

zenkatydid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com