Suggestions for a new digital camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gillie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I went on a conoe trip yesterday and my friend the so called canoing expert dumped the canoe and my camera got soaked! So my camera is completey fried and was looking for suggestion for a decently priced camera that still takes great pictures (especially of aquariums :D ).

Cannon Powershot A540 is what I have. Decent camera, pretty good pics. Even has an 'underwater' setting... didn't even know that when I bought it. I don't think they make my model anymore, I believe there's a newer release that's prob a little better.

I have had two Sony point-and-shoot cameras and liked them a lot. My current Sony is model DSC-H9.

I have a digital SLR, a Canon Rebel XTi. It has interchangeable lenses, which is a great feature, but most of the time I end up using the Sony since it's so lightweight and really takes great pics.

I use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5

It has decent zoom, great features, and is fairly inexpensive. Big screen too. Only downside is it uses AA batteries, but that is no big deal if you get high quality rechargeable batteries.

happy camera hunting.

I was gonna say the Fuji FinePix is a good, all-purpose digi camera that is reasonably priced, but JChillin's link beat me to it. I am getting one to replace my Kodak DX4330.

I second the Nikon D40 (or D50)! I have a D40 and absolutely love it. The clarity and shutter speed are so much better than my old camera (Fuji FinePix E550). I think the D40 is the least expensive of Nikon's D-SLRs. It's a great starter SLR camera, with the ability to change out lenses once you learn more about it. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the auto-flash, but you can of course turn that off.

Good luck with your camera hunting!

I am a softsculpture artist and rely on good pictures to sell my work so have a couple of opinions about what you might want. Lol...another bossy woman...great.

If you are looking for a digital SLR (always an excellent choice) the Nikon D50 is a terrific medium priced digi SLR. I own the D70 and bought it on E-Bay for a great price PLUS they now offer extended warranties for electronics. Nikon's only weakness is a lack of photo editing software. There are several free programs available and I'd recommend Paint.net or San Seriff.
If you want a point and shoot digital camera, I would recommend a Canon. If you want sexy (will sacrifice some quality and features) their smaller cameras are very good. I had an S70 and it was my staple camera until I bought the Nikon. They come with an excellent software package and they are easy to use. They also take great pictures. Their biggest weakness, like most point and shoot camera's are low light shooting. You will have a hard time getting good shots with poor lighting, even with a flash.
I almost bought a Sony point and shoot as, typical of Sony, you get alot for your money but the Canon was $100 less and had a higher mega pixel rating. They would be a great choice for a point and shoot.

In the future, you can find waterproof boxes for most camera's and that can help revent any further issues...lol. Trust me, I take my camera EVERYWHERE and there are all kinds of gadgets you can get to protect the camera. I'd also recommend a Gorilla tripod! They have flexible arms and you can actually put the arms around things, like a tree branch. Very cool!!!
Good luck!!!

I love my Canon Powershot (I believe I have the same one as evercl). It's a heck of a lot better than the Kodak my husband had or the Fuji we had at work. They were both terrible. No offense Bill. :)

Fishyfanatic said:
They were both terrible. No offense Bill.

None taken. :) All opinions are welcome but, I also figure that a picture is worth a thousand words, especially when it comes to aquarium photography. So I offer up these samples of photos taken with the Fuji:

Attachments

• newcamfish1_008_102.jpg
    newcamfish1_008_102.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 16
  • newcamfish1_010_104.jpg
    newcamfish1_010_104.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 20
I got tired of the cheap cameras, and decided that I wanted to get a good one not only for taking fish pics, but for travel as well. So I opted for the Nikon D70s Digital SLR with a 6GB Microdrive. I'll never have to get another camera, this one is great. But it is a little pricey, depending on what features you get with it. You can go with less memory and a single lens, but I got 3 lenses and the largest microdrive I could get at the time. Fantastic camera for those wanting a camera for taking all kinds of pics, fish, outdoors, travel, etc.

Hey LWB...I got my D70 on E-Bay with all the extras and a 2 year warranty for $400. Yay for E-Bay. When we originally bought that camera at Best Buy it was over $1000. Course the dumb thing was stolen and the insurance only paid for half of it...all in all, I was pleased to pocekt $100 after the fact!
Sorry to highjack your thread Gillie...if price isn't important go digital SLR...

Back
Top Bottom