Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-12-2007, 12:08 AM   #1
Suggestions for a new digital camera

I went on a conoe trip yesterday and my friend the so called canoing expert dumped the canoe and my camera got soaked! So my camera is completey fried and was looking for suggestion for a decently priced camera that still takes great pictures (especially of aquariums ).

Gillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Cannon Powershot A540 is what I have. Decent camera, pretty good pics. Even has an 'underwater' setting... didn't even know that when I bought it. I don't think they make my model anymore, I believe there's a newer release that's prob a little better.

"... if any one specie does not become modified and improved in a corresponding degree with its competitors, it will soon be exterminated." - Charles Darwin
evercl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:53 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I have had two Sony point-and-shoot cameras and liked them a lot. My current Sony is model DSC-H9.

I have a digital SLR, a Canon Rebel XTi. It has interchangeable lenses, which is a great feature, but most of the time I end up using the Sony since it's so lightweight and really takes great pics.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
This is my current camera. I found it on sale a few weeks ago at a local electronics outlet for a very nice price. Has all the tricks and tools you could want.
Jchillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
I use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5

It has decent zoom, great features, and is fairly inexpensive. Big screen too. Only downside is it uses AA batteries, but that is no big deal if you get high quality rechargeable batteries.

happy camera hunting.

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
WaterPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:45 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
I wouldn't take any decent camera on a canoe trip unless it is waterproof or any time in the canoe it is kept in a water proof storage. I would check out a Nikon D40. Can find them used for very reasonably priced. I find these reviews to be fair and accurate.

Lepomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
Nikon D50...somewhat pricey but a great camera.
smn723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Canon 30D!!!

Okay that would be totally overkill for what you'd probably be using it for...However, Canon Powershot FTW!

black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
I was gonna say the Fuji FinePix is a good, all-purpose digi camera that is reasonably priced, but JChillin's link beat me to it. I am getting one to replace my Kodak DX4330.
Sicklid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I second the Nikon D40 (or D50)! I have a D40 and absolutely love it. The clarity and shutter speed are so much better than my old camera (Fuji FinePix E550). I think the D40 is the least expensive of Nikon's D-SLRs. It's a great starter SLR camera, with the ability to change out lenses once you learn more about it. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the auto-flash, but you can of course turn that off.

Good luck with your camera hunting!

29-gallon FW
1 yoyo loach, 2 polkadot loaches, 6 cherry barbs, 2 turquoise rainbows, 1 chinese algae eater, 2 harlequin rasboras; java fern, java moss, hornwort, Asian ambulia
LandGhoti is offline   Reply With Quote

camera, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com