Supersized tank! The coolest idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidreamer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Wow, I just woke up and was outside looking at our unbearably cold swimmingpool at our apartment complex... Around here (the outskirts of Baton Rouge, Louisiana - somewhat, "the sticks") some people fill in their swimmingpools with dirt when they no longer want them. I was thinking - what if you converted your swimmingpool into a reeftank!!! I am sure this has been discussed or even accomplished before somewhere but wouldnt that just be awesome!! You wouldn't have to go offshore to dive - you could just snorkel in your pool! There are probably some "well-off" enthusiasts here that could accomplish this. (no, not the ones that have so much money that they have some pro lfs owner come in and drop a 2k gallon sharktank in their wall and never get their hands dirty - probably not too many of those people on here :roll: BUT, someone who loves SW and has enough money to spend on this. What do you guys think?

Yeah, true that :) Maybe have one of those vinyl removeable car-ports over it and plastic the sides and have the water heated and have a heater running for the internal air.

It would be expensive. Imagine the water movement needed for a 20,000 (or so) gallon pool. Not to mention water changes.
Cool thought though. :)

If you spend all that money on the LR, fish etc. you should probably get a glass pool enclosure or a greenhouse setup to put over the pool, I mean tank. Why go cheap with vinyle tent. Its only money anyways right.

Yeah, a greenhouse type of enclosure would be cool.... didnt think of that. As far as movement - think waterpark wavepools :D and for water changes - you could probably simulate the oceans natural water changes by running hole-drilled pvc all above to simulate freshwater rain... you would have plenty of condensation/evaporation trapped in the greenhouse to recycle the system ;) All this of course - going off the assumption that you have a few 100k on your hands :D

Liquidreamer, your handle fits you perfectly! :D

As for filtration, you'd probably need a sophisticated system like the ones used by public aquariums.

the biggest issue with an "outdoor" SW system, is rain. The rain will dilute your SG and wreak havoc in the system. It would HAVE to be enclosed simply for the fact of rain water. But then you lose all the glorious sunlight so you would almost be forced to do the green house thing.

but I think I like the Monarch's idea, just get an aquarium mebership :wink:

Heck if your that rich, just buy the local public aquarium!! That's my dream! :D

PS. Def. go with the green house idea! :p

dont forget to budget for a pipeline that extends a few miles offshore so you can just pump in the water changes. (I think thats how the Hawaii aquarium does it). :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom