Support Group for Spouses/Family of Fish Geeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggy953's_Wife

Aquarium Advice Regular
hehe Same place a ziggy953 (Sumerduck, VA)
My Idea
I had this idea to start a support group for the Spouses of Fish Geeks a place where we can vent, talk and maybe try and understand their love for the finned critters and heck maybe even learn a thing or two. I came up with the idea as a joke but after going to a WAMAS social where I met other spouses of Fish Geeks I decided that may be I should run with this idea.

About Me

Hi my name is Jessy and my husband is a TOTAL FISH GEEK!
I’m 25 years old, married to an almost perfect man (Allen- AKA Ziggy953, he’s on here as well) and we have a son (Zack) who will be 3 in Aug. 2008. We are all members of WAMAS (Washington Area Marine Aquarium Society) which is A LOT more fun than I had thought it would be when Allen signed us up. I’m a full time student working toward my Associates in Nursing. I plan to later get my BSN then become a Nurse Practitioner or Doctor (the DO kind, just like a regular Dr., but you go about it a little differently - more hands on rather than in the books).

So, Welcome to the Support Group and if you have any friends that are living with a fish geek then let them know we are here.

Oh and just a few sort hand terms I’ve learned….

FW – Freshwater
SW – Saltwater
PWC – Partial Water Change
LFS - Local Fish Store
BRK - Blue Ribbon Koi (That's a LFS in the Manassas Area)
RBTA – Red Bubble Tip Anemone
Ric – Ricordia (I’m not sure one the spelling) A type of coral
That’s all I have for now… I’ll add them as I find new ones.

And please introduce yourself and tell us your story. :)

So Here’s My Story!
The Beginning of our Fish Adventure
It all began on our honeymoon (4 years ago in Sept.) when we bought a 55 gal Freshwater (FW) tank that was funded by the dollar dance from our wedding reception. LOL, not only was he my new husband but my pimp; for dances that is, don’t get the wrong Idea.
Soon, that 55 gal tank spread like wildfire into 14 FW tanks! We had tanks everywhere: the kitchen, the dining room, even our bedroom. Along with ALL the tanks, we had 3 dogs (big ones) and a bird. I was living in a Zoo and with a baby on the way too!
In Feb. of 2005 I was laid off from my job and we moved to Sumerduck, VA. A.K.A. DuckTown (where I grew up). But space in the new place was limited, so I told Allen he would have to limit the amount of fish tanks. Btw, our bird died. Note of advice, don’t keep them near a drafty window in the cold months.

The Saltwater Adventure
Once our son (Zack) was about 5 or 6 months old, he fell in love with the Disney movie Nemo. At the time it was the only thing on TV that he would even pay attention to. Allen and I were talking about maybe doing a little SW tank with a Nemo in it for Zack. My dad overheard us talking about it and told us that since it was for Zack he would help fund the project So off my hubby was to research how to do a SW tank. We bought a 72 gal. bowed front tank, and Allen built an AMAZING oak stand for it. We started with the sand and water of course, then added live rock one at a time (cause you know that stuff isn’t cheap). After having everything set up for a while, we started getting a few fish. Damsels, because we heard they were the best to start with even if you didn’t plan on keeping them. Which we didn’t, except for the Blue Velvet Damsel my In-Laws got for us when they came for a visit one time. Mr. Blue Velvet is a real mean sucker, so he started the expansion of the SW world I now live in. The next addition to the SW world came about because some of our corals were starting to get too big for the 72 gal tank. So, a started a 55 gal frag tank and now we sell/trade the frags from there.
I’ve gone through many waves… Sometimes I hate the fish tank thing then other times I really like it. There was even a point where I felt like I had totally lost my husband to the finned creatures. He spent more time messing with the tanks then he did me. Now, I’ve gotten more involved and am actually starting to really learn things and like it besides the fact that it’s pretty to look at.
You can click the Our Current Adventure Link in my Signature to know what we are up to now.

Hey I'm going through your husband's thread and had to mention i LOVE your commentary. I'm not married or dating right now but I've decided I'd love to have a wife who is as supportive and as interested in the hobby as you are- or rather, as interested in your husband's hobby? :)

Hey I'm going through your husband's thread and had to mention i LOVE your commentary. I'm not married or dating right now but I've decided I'd love to have a wife who is as supportive and as interested in the hobby as you are- or rather, as interested in your husband's hobby? :)
findin luv on a fish site. JK lol.

Watch out Ziggy that ones a keeper. its not everyday u find a lady who likies your hobby and you. JK lol. Im 14 what do i know. Maybe you found 'em all the time. She was just the lucky one :)

Back
Top Bottom