Synchronized Goldfish Swimming!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Man, I can't tell! But after watching Ninja Warrior on G4, I think it very well could be for real!

I seriously doubt it. Mythbusters tested the myth that goldfish have enough memory to learn the pattern to swim through to get to food at the other end. They set up a simple test with dividers and tubes that the fish had to swim through to get to the next tube, etc and they could not do it. If they can't do a simple task such as that I highly doubt that they would be able to do what was just shown in the video clip.

I dunno, I think it might be. I trained fish at work to know food comes when a feeding timer comes on (ie: the filters turn off, makes a loud noise) and they come up for food. So...maybe it's possible.

Now that is just silly....I have goldfish but they are dumb as a box of rocks....LOL Great video whether it is real or not!!! LOL

But do you really think that the book or whatever it was was real DeFeKt? Maybe the the pictures are real, I don't doubt that, but how long did it take to get those pictures that made it look like the fish were actually performing those tricks. And just because a fish can perform these acts doesn't necessarily make it smart. I would only consider the fish to be smart if it could perform these tricks on demand nearly all of the time. Maybe it is the fish's behavior that causes it to perform these "tricks" and the fish is not really aware of what it is doing. Take for example the black ghost knife fish. If you place a piece of tubing in the tank the fish will eventually hide in it and swim through it. But is this really a trick? The fish feels more comfortable hiding out in the tubing and feels safer but is it smart simply because it goes through the tube? Maybe it is in a fish's nature to swim through tubes and hoops and maybe just the fish being "playful".

Do a search for Fish school then.
At one stage the guy was on here and made a discussion about it.

Take for example the black ghost knife fish. If you place a piece of tubing in the tank the fish will eventually hide in it and swim through it. But is this really a trick?

No, a BGK's instinct is to hide, hardly a good example.

I would only consider the fish to be smart if it could perform these tricks on demand nearly all of the time.

See if you can find the thread, and numerous others like it.

EDIT: Just tried searching for it, and turned up to many results. Hopefully someone has a link to some of them.

DeFeKt said:
No, a BGK's instinct is to hide, hardly a good example.

But the act of going into the tube may be a big leap. The second step is coming out the other end. The fish can't easily turn around and go out the same way that it entered so it must exit on the opposite end. Does the rate at which it enters and exits the tube determine how smart it is?

I have also heard that BGK's can be hand fed after teaching them and that they may actually let you hold them in the water if they feel safe enough. This seems to be showing the two extremes of the same type of fish. On one hand they love to hide and on the other they can be "trusting" enough to let someone hold them.

Neat video

I wonder how got the fish to do that. Its a Japanese video but the voice over is in chinese so i can't translate this one.

-Pleco

Back
Top Bottom