Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Taking your hobby to the next level?

Hey- I've been looking to start up and dedicate myself to owning my own business for a long time, but I was never able to find anything that I was passionate about.
While doing a water change on my tanks today, I realized that I am passionate about my fish tanks, so I got into thinking- why not make this my bussines- fish tanks?

What I think I'd do is aquarium setups and maintenance for persons/businesses who want an aquarium for whatever reason. On top of that, I'd operate a small facility where I'd store my tools, and most importantly, have a few business tanks where I could grow plants for planted tank setups, and keep popular fish that I put into tanks.

What do you guys think? Has anyone else done something like this, or similar? Any encouraging words?
I don't think I'd count on this venture as my primary source of income, but as a part time income, and keep my current job, but at reduced hours.

36 GALLON "Central American Biotope"
20 GALLON- "Electric Yellow Cich Heaven"
insecurity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
The first question has to be " Are you qualified to do the setups and maintain the tanks?" If the answer is " Well, I set up my own tank.", you might want to be a bit more knowledgeable about the different types of set ups and fish habits before embarking on this.
Second question: " Is there a demand for this biz in your area?" It doesn't make a lot of sense to start a biz that there is little demand for. You might want to go checkout your potential client's waiting rooms and see if they have a fish tank or one that looks rather unkept. Those are your target clients

I know a number of people who made a nice living doing aquarium maintainance so if there is a demand and you have the means, WHY NOT?? Go for it !

Andy Sager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
He's right if you have friends or family with fish tanks you could maybe sell plants or fish to them but if you think you can do it start out slow and build your way up!!
Fishman87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com