Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

On a plus note, this group has tended to speak positively about several suppliers. Bulk Reef, Taotronics, Liveaquaria to name some favorites. But a thread with this name was bound to get attention.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

True that u would think folks would want knowledge of bad lfs to be put out. I would think it would get em to change their practices.

Cichlidjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:57 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It's a slippery slope and most web forums don't want or need the liability. Web comments can also be overly brutal.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I always have good look at the state of fish when go in the lfs as tells a lot about the people running it. Mine must hate me as always pointing out ill or dead fish and most of the tangs are covered in spots so ain't bought a fish from there for some time now.there tanks are the shop display ones where all the tanks are joined in the same unit and have same sump so what ever nasty can spread easy to other fish
Old 07-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

Here, here!
Cichlidjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm lucky where I live we have 3 of the different chain stores and a little over a year ago a dedicated lfs that mainly stocks saltwater fish. Since they opened one of the chains has stopped selling fish altogether, another never had any saltwater, and third has hired a new employee that is in the hobby and knowledgeable to revamp there whole fish section. I try to buy all of my stuff from the small individual owned lfs.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmartin722 View Post
I'm lucky where I live we have 3 of the different chain stores and a little over a year ago a dedicated lfs that mainly stocks saltwater fish. Since they opened one of the chains has stopped selling fish altogether, another never had any saltwater, and third has hired a new employee that is in the hobby and knowledgeable to revamp there whole fish section. I try to buy all of my stuff from the small individual owned lfs.
I agree, I haven't found chain stores have a clue. We have a small privately owned LFS here that is pretty dedicated. I try to give them the bulk of my business.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com