Tank cleaning weekend...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zparticle

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think this long weekend is going to be put to use doing some serious cleaning on my tanks. I need to go through and clean out all of the dead plant pieces, scrub down the glass, vacuum the substrate and go on a snail killing crusade. Also need to do some big water changes and clean my filters.

I always feel better after a good tank cleaning and I have 5 to do. One doesn't need much, one needs a total overhaul and the other three will just be basic maintenance.

Is anyone else planning on spending some quality tank cleaning time this weekend?

I hope I can get some serious water changes done. I too feel really good after I clean my tanks!

a Long Tank Cleaning Weekend

Hello z...

I hear you. I have three 55 Gs due for a water change. The plants are in good shape, but the front glass needs a bit of scraping. That's the only side I bother with anyway. Just want to be able to see into the tank. The snail issue is fine with me. I have quite a number of them, but I like the little guys. Funny, I saw a red one this afternoon. The rest are all a dark brown. Must have some new hybrid or something.

Anyway, enjoy the long weekend.

B

The snail issue is fine with me. I have quite a number of them, but I like the little guys. Funny, I saw a red one this afternoon. The rest are all a dark brown. Must have some new hybrid or something.

I don't mind a few but with all of the plants I've been adding they have gotten out of control. Have a great weekend. :D

2nd Tank torn apart, cleaned and put back together. Cleaned out a boat load of snails, the plants were totally infested. Trimmed back many of the plants and got rid of some, the new simplified look is much better. More light, more swim room. :)

I was starting to refill the tank and I accidentally grabbed the ammonia bottle instead of the Prime bottle. Freaked out. Luckily no damage done.

Surprised to find I still have a good population of ghost and red cherry shrimp. Those suckers can jump HIGH when there is no water. LOL.

Time to clean the 3rd tank, going to go get another set of API NEXX filters as I am not happy with the Penguin HOB filter on this 75g. The water never looks clean enough for my taste.

HOB Power Filters

Good morning z...

I went to AquaClear HOBs about six years ago and swear by them. Have used the 20s to the 70s and have yet to replace one. They're easy to take apart and put back together. Parts never wear out, at least not in six years.

I use HBH pad media and the water is crystal clear. Could be a couple of AquaClear 50s would be just the ticket your 75 G. The filters go up to 110s, but I don't have a tank that large.

Just finished the 50 percent water changes on my three 55 Gs this weekend, so tomorrow is a freebee!

Talk to you later,

B

Thanks for the input, I'll keep that in mind for future projects. I just got done hooking up the new NEXX canisters. Man redoing the 75g has been a pain but it needs it. Well back to the mess...

Everyone have a great day. :)

Refilling. I'm leaving out about 1/3 of the gravel I had in there. I didn't realize I had put that much in there before. Way too much. Catching your fish in a 75g tank is a total pain in the behind. :banghead:

Your Tank Video

Hello again z...

I enjoyed your video. It's quite obviously you enjoy the "water keeping" hobby and know what you're doing. Your cat was trying to get our attention too.

B

zparticle said:
2nd Tank torn apart, cleaned and put back together. Cleaned out a boat load of snails, the plants were totally infested. Trimmed back many of the plants and got rid of some, the new simplified look is much better. More light, more swim room. :)

I was starting to refill the tank and I accidentally grabbed the ammonia bottle instead of the Prime bottle. Freaked out. Luckily no damage done.

Surprised to find I still have a good population of ghost and red cherry shrimp. Those suckers can jump HIGH when there is no water. LOL.

Put the ammonia away.. Eco almost put some in his eyes once... lock that stuff up

zparticle said:
Done. Thank goodness. Time for a beer. (y)

Just had some Silver Bullets myself. Did a nod to my Rocky Mountain aquarium pal. You are doing good things and we appreciate you

Thanks all, I am enjoying this a lot. :) The cat wasn't happy because I spent 6-8 hours today working on the tanks. He'll get some attention now. :) Having a Land Shark Lager, not bad, haven't tried it before.

zparticle said:
Thanks all, I am enjoying this a lot. :) The cat wasn't happy because I spent 6-8 hours today working on the tanks. He'll get some attention now. :) Having a Land Shark Lager, not bad, haven't tried it before.

Enjoy. You deserve a break. Thanks for sharing your experience

Back
Top Bottom