Tank, no filter, water changes every 3 months?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I'll try and make this short. My wife is a Pilates and yoga instructor in a fancy expensive gym, she gets ALOT of high end clients.

She was telling me that this women in her spin class is looking for a 75 gallon tank and well... My wife told her about me and how I'm very much into the hobby.y wife asked me if I'd be willing to talk to the women on the phone.

So.... I called her( she was expecting my call) I talk about tanks, fish, cycling it etc etc etc... Well... To my surprise or maybe not, money is no object so she doesn't want to wait for the dollar per gallon sale. She wants this thing last week!!

She goes on to tell me how she wants no filters just a heater, and she's gonna do water changes every 3 months with RO/DI water as her whole house has a system built in for showers, washing machines, showers, dishwashers and sinks. Yes I mean plural on all accounts.

She asked me if I would scape it, set it up, go get the fish and maintain it. She offered to pay 200 dollars every other month. I declined as I think she is crazy lol.

My question or questions lol as I sit here with a HUGE headache. How can you run a tab with no filters? She wants tons of neons and small schooling fish. No plants. A dark dirt substrate and lots of driftwood. She seems to know a little as she did say she wants plecos and other catfish. She knows where she wants it too. She also mentioned LED lighting, auto feeder, and probed to monitor water parameters from her phone as she's away a lot. This is something I KNOW not to get involved in lol.

I just don't understand. So get a tank, fill it, go get fish and change water in 3 months? She said the tank will take care of itself that it become a working Eco system and she has studied it.

She told me I'm wasting money on media and bio rings etc etc etc. she told me if I took the bio max out and ran only sponges nothing would change and eventually I could turn my filters off and the tank would be fine.

I was going to ask about flow and such but just then she chimed in and said of course you will need flow in the tank. She wants 3 power heads in her 75 gallon and insists it will be fine and told me I should do the same and save the money and take my wife on a vacation lol.

You could only imagine my face. I got off the phone just dumb founded. How? Really? What? I told my wife she owes me. That time I spent on the phone I WILL NEVER get back.

Well just thought I share as I have NEVER heard of such a thing.

Ummm WOW! If she knows so much what did she need to talk to you for? Sounds like she already had all the answers. I hope she changes her mind for the sake of the fish.

Maybe she will get on here so we can all learn something.

Ummm WOW! If she knows so much what did she need to talk to you for? Sounds like she already had all the answers. I hope she changes her mind for the sake of the fish.

Yeah I dunno. I've been online and I forgot to mention she wants it to be heavily planted tank. And from I'm reading on google and articles, they say its possible!!!

Can't be?!? Can it????

Yeah I dunno. I've been online and I forgot to mention she wants it to be heavily planted tank. And from I'm reading on google and articles, they say its possible!!!

Can't be?!? Can it????

You should try it out. It's an extra $200 and you may actually learn that it's possible.

Maybe I will do it!! I'll post pics and even make a video, she's from singapore and she told me they hang fish in bags outside the stores so you pick which ones you want. She said a heavily planted tank doesn't require anything other then water changes. I read some crazy articles online, actually people are saying filterless planted tanks!!

I know some people successfully run tanks heavily planted with only adding water to the tank, I think the idea is the plants use all the waste in the tank if there are enough of them... But that's not a biological filter its just a toxin eater... I dunno...

We have members doing these builds. It does involve a lot of plants. With some house plant growing out of the tank. But yes it can and is being done.

Last edited:
Is anyone keeping a journal of their progress on here. This is something I would really like to follow and maybe eventually try in the future.

We have members doing these builds. It does involve a lot of plants. With some house plant growing out of the tank. But yes it can and is being done.

Yep ... I've also heard it done this way. From what I know, it's usually smaller bio load fish with tons of plants, best to have soil substrate ... both act as your filtration. Unless your using power heads for current, your gas exchange is limited to the tanks footprint and whatever O2 the plants give during photosynthesis.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think bbrad has a thread on it. He/she has I think 4 of these tank running.

With no filter, and water changes four times a year?

In nature, there's a natural filtering system - water running over rocks, through vegetation, etc. And rainfall doesn't occur on a quarterly schedule. Fish can swim out of bad water conditions into good ones.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around that.

Can't be?!? Can it????

Yes. It's basically a giant Walstad Method aquarium she wants. It's really not out of the realm of reality. I made one (albeit 1/75th the size :D) and it does work very well. It's also the same principles that give Rivercats her awesome growth in her 220g. Although Rivercats obviously takes much better care than this woman would :)

Back
Top Bottom